Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Air Conditioner Just Stopped

Air had been running on auto/ low for an hour so I upped the desired temp to stop it. Now it won’t cone back on no matter what. Any ideas?
I am hooked up to electric & lights are working just fine.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Not an expert and new also, but I would unplug everything, check fuses and breaker. Then replug in. I use progressive industries surge protector also.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
And failed to mention, lights will run off batteries. AC requires electric hook up or generator. If breakers and fuses all good, try running generator and see if AC turns on. If it does, you have an electric problem, if not, you may have a defective AC
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you very much Mansderm161! Taken me a while to be able to send a reply thx to intermittent wifi here. I checked fuses and tester under the driver side jump seat would not function AC ran fine on generator. I checked the connection on the 30 amp post and the plug had come lose( raccoons?) That did it. Next time, I will check that first!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Yeah! Glad you have it solved! Have fun!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Yeah! Glad you have it solved! Have fun!

Good job. It's nice to see members who've been helped with their problems in the past, stepping up to help others. That's why I love this forum.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Me too!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The confusing thing with lights and everything still running is that you think it’s because the electricity is on when actually they have reverted to battery.

It’s happened to me, more than once. Our minds are problem solving as if we are in our homes.

Glad you got it fixed.

Maggie
Old 10-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Good point, Maggie!
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Looks like it’s time for a little AC service....I used to be able to run the air off of the generator. Now the power management system just shuts everything down when the compressor tries to start. I think I see an EasyStart in my future.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Looks like it’s time for a little AC service....I used to be able to run the air off of the generator. Now the power management system just shuts everything down when the compressor tries to start. I think I see an EasyStart in my future.

From all reports I've read on this forum, that should do the trick. If I could have ordered my new a/c with the EasyStart kit as an option, I would have gladly paid for it. While my new unit starts fine, there seems to be no down-side and I'd rather have it from the beginning. I just didn't have time to order it and install before my trip.

Many good documented install pics and video links. You'll have to search the forum to find them.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Thank you very much Mansderm161! Taken me a while to be able to send a reply thx to intermittent wifi here. I checked fuses and tester under the driver side jump seat would not function AC ran fine on generator. I checked the connection on the 30 amp post and the plug had come lose( raccoons?) That did it. Next time, I will check that first!
Another thing we all find over time is that the 30 amp sockets at the post are bad. They get more use and wear than the 50 amp plugs. Campgrounds use cheapo replacement sockets which lose the grip on the prongs ... and the plug either comes loose or shorts out and ruins your plug. A 50 to 30 amp adaptor lets you use the other socket.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Another thing we all find over time is that the 30 amp sockets at the post are bad. They get more use and wear than the 50 amp plugs. Campgrounds use cheapo replacement sockets which lose the grip on the prongs ... and the plug either comes loose or shorts out and ruins your plug. A 50 to 30 amp adaptor lets you use the other socket.
FOILED AGAIN - True, I saw this just recently in my stay at Pomona a KOA during RV Show. Luckily, that old campground has dual side hookups, so I just plugged into the other 30A. I also carry the 50to30 adapter just in case. Haven't used it but nice to have options
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote