Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dataw Island , South Carolina
AI19 house battery issue

New Interstate 19 house battery losing charge overnight. Parked in driveway with 12.75 on meter. Next morning 9.75 with everything off including propane switch. Is it possible my solar panel is draining the battery overnight? Would think a diode would be in place to protect this. Have not taken an overnight trip without being plugged in but am hesitant to even try one. No one including dealer could help me locate house battery to test it...I believe I found it under passenger step area but would need to have a lift to access it with no removable panel above it. Any thoughts?
skiphoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphoyt View Post
New Interstate 19 house battery losing charge overnight. Parked in driveway with 12.75 on meter. Next morning 9.75 with everything off including propane switch. Is it possible my solar panel is draining the battery overnight? Would think a diode would be in place to protect this. Have not taken an overnight trip without being plugged in but am hesitant to even try one. No one including dealer could help me locate house battery to test it...I believe I found it under passenger step area but would need to have a lift to access it with no removable panel above it. Any thoughts?
SKIPHOYT - No answer for you on accessing your batteries. Not many of you 19 owners yet, so maybe the few who have them can help. But why would this info not be available on your Owner's Manual or worse, you say your AS dealer does not know? What exactly do you mean by that - they won't help you or you unable to have them figure this out? This is brand new, my recollection only few months. You have a warranty. While we certainly try to help everyone here, strikes me as odd that you are not getting help from them or pushing them to give you answers. If they dont know, then I would call Jackson Center.

Having said that, I believe your 19 still has Fusion RV-IN801 ? Which means unless you have a kill switch, you have a big drain on your batts that can hapen anytime. It is notorious for draining house and/or chassis batts depending on other contributory issues (too much to discuss here but well documented in many threads). Before I suspect solar, I would suspect Fusion first. When you say everything is off, do you mean from the Battery Disconnect switch? Or you just saying you turned off all appliances?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Colonial AS has been more than helpful with all issues from a thousand miles away. I did get an email back last evening that they did not have one on the lot, could not find anything in the manual, but had called AS and confirmed my suspected location. I do make sure I hold down the Fusion button long enough to bypass the sleep mode. I would think the Fusion would be powered by the chassis battery but not sure. I did engage battery disconnect switch last night and will check first thing in the morning..I suspect if the battery is healthy it will not have drained but need to figure out what is causing this before traveling. I am a newbie at this with the closest AS dealer 3 hours away....MB dealer close by but this being a house battery issue they most likely would not service it. I did send a PM to another AS19 owner that has installed a lithium system recently in the 19....I am sure he will have some answers after dismantling his! I thank you for your response and will research the Fusion battery drain issue.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Colonial AS has been more than helpful with all issues from a thousand miles away. I did get an email back last evening that they did not have one on the lot, could not find anything in the manual, but had called AS and confirmed my suspected location. I do make sure I hold down the Fusion button long enough to bypass the sleep mode. I would think the Fusion would be powered by the chassis battery but not sure. I did engage battery disconnect switch last night and will check first thing in the morning..I suspect if the battery is healthy it will not have drained but need to figure out what is causing this before traveling. I am a newbie at this with the closest AS dealer 3 hours away....MB dealer close by but this being a house battery issue they most likely would not service it. I did send a PM to another AS19 owner that has installed a lithium system recently in the 19....I am sure he will have some answers after dismantling his! I thank you for your response and will research the Fusion battery drain issue.
SKIPHOYT - good to know the details of how you shut things down. Yes, I agree if you hold down the Fusion past sleep mode, that ought be good andit should not drain your house batts. But even when I used to do the same before having a kill switch, I notice the top compartment lid above Fusion was always warm, indicating it was generating a fair amount of heat and using up the batts. But it never drained my batts. FYI - Fusion has been wired many different ways, by different rv brands. Even within same model year of Airstream, I have found differences. Good example is me & WACHUKO - I only need 1 kill switch, he needs 2 to totally kill power. So it is tough to figure out (without me physically in front measuring power connection to your Fusion) how yours is wired in. Fusion gets power from both sides (or at least mine does).

Regarding your solar, you can certainly disconnect them if you feel you have a back feed problem. But before doing so, make sure your panels are covered so they are not generating any current and your batts (house & chassis) are completely disconnected and you are not plugged in. Take no chances with high current stuff.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

We will see tonight if in fact I have a back feed problem. Airstream via Colonial sent a picture of where to locate the ‘box’ controlling the solar system. They said some units had a fuse in line and to just remove it to take the system offline. My assembler must have skipped this step because no fuse. I did manage to pull the wire off at a connector and cap it for the night. Not easy access and lots to reassemble tomorrow. On another issue AS sent me a plate ‘decal’ to cover the holes when relocating the faulty temperature sensors away from the heat producing czone panel.I have been dealing with this as I sort out the ‘bugs’ in this new release. All aside...I do really love this little 19 daily driver.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
We will see tonight if in fact I have a back feed problem. Airstream via Colonial sent a picture of where to locate the ‘box’ controlling the solar system. They said some units had a fuse in line and to just remove it to take the system offline. My assembler must have skipped this step because no fuse. I did manage to pull the wire off at a connector and cap it for the night. Not easy access and lots to reassemble tomorrow. On another issue AS sent me a plate ‘decal’ to cover the holes when relocating the faulty temperature sensors away from the heat producing czone panel.I have been dealing with this as I sort out the ‘bugs’ in this new release. All aside...I do really love this little 19 daily driver.
SKIPHOYT - Getting there, slowly but hopefully, surely getting each of them bugs out. Just look at it this way, you are learning many things about your rig through the experience. Best of luck in isolating the ghost drain.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Hi skiphoyt,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. I know you have been in touch with the dealership, but if you need additional assistance please do not hesitate to reach out.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 12-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

No back feed problem...same loss of volts overnight with solar disconnect. Decided to check house batteries but soon realized that a lift or jack would be needed to access them. The batteries are mounted under the driver and passenger step area. Went to local automotive store that does a lot of battery replacements. Once on the lift the passenger side battery tested 12.75 volts. The driver’s side drifted from 0 to 1.8 volts. Dead battery! I took delivery 2 months ago with I suspect a build may have been 6 months ago. Dealer basically said since it is impossible for me to get to a dealership I am on my own for any warranty claim. I will check with an Interstate Battery dealer tomorrow, and have them run test. Will see if they will honor the warranty. Even if I have to purchase a new battery I am relieved that this may be the answer to this ongoing problem. Never suspected this with new high end batteries.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
SKIPHOYT - Well, that actually seems good news. By that I mean, even though one does not expect a dead batt on your new unit, s*** happens. I have had a Diehard, even a batt on a new car rolling off their delivery trucks, fail in less than 1 year. So it not in the realm of possibilities, even if they were not mis-managed. And given you are not close to dealer, a trip to your dealer to replace battery under warranty may prove more expensive in time & diesel, than replacing it yourself. Good for you to try and go through manufacturer. Considering young age, they may give you some relief if not full replace. Best of luck
Old 12-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Skiphoyt,

Nice job of trouble-shooting. I had the same problem with new batteries installed just one month before purchase of my used unit. Even though it should not have happened to you, as Alex said, things happen.

Good luck at the Interstate battery dealer.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
It should be covered by warranty
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

ALEX AVI...great advise! I did call Lifeline today with low expectations of much help...but was pleasantly surprised. I explained to Justin (who was great) that I had this coach for 2 months and had repetitive electrical problems ie batteries not holding a charge overnight. He asked if I could get the serial numbers...under the coach in the rain i went and was able to take a selfie of the batteries serial number. The number revealed they were quite old and since this was the show vehicle most likely did not have good maintenance as in routine charging. I said it was only one of the batteries that was showing low or no voltage...he insisted that if one had failed the other one would most likely follow. We are working out the details for replacement. Still no response from Airstream about this latest issue. Still loving ‘Shorty’!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
ALEX AVI...great advise! I did call Lifeline today with low expectations of much help...but was pleasantly surprised. I explained to Justin (who was great) that I had this coach for 2 months and had repetitive electrical problems ie batteries not holding a charge overnight. He asked if I could get the serial numbers...under the coach in the rain i went and was able to take a selfie of the batteries serial number. The number revealed they were quite old and since this was the show vehicle most likely did not have good maintenance as in routine charging. I said it was only one of the batteries that was showing low or no voltage...he insisted that if one had failed the other one would most likely follow. We are working out the details for replacement. Still no response from Airstream about this latest issue. Still loving ‘Shorty’!
SKIPHOYT - Yeeeay! My experience is that it is always best to try the nice & civil approach to dealing with problems. And only reserve the nasty stuff if all avenues fail. It works most of the time. And better results. Also great to know how the individual manufacturers handled it. Seems better than Airstream itself and the dealer's handling of a 2 mo. old unit, but still good for Lifeline and good for you. Bad mark for Airstream!
Old 12-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Once you get a good set of batteries do not be surprised that the batteries will go down over time depending on the amount of solar input you are getting. I have a 2016 Grand Tour with 200 watts solar input. If I get a string of cloudy days, it was not uncommon for the Victron to show the batteries going down even though the 12V system and all other appliances are off. Understanding, locating and eliminating all the parasitic drains was a time consuming process. First I put in an in series switch for the propane valve. Then I ditched the Atkinson solar controller for a Victron unit with battery monitor. By far the best change I made that allows for accurate monitoring of your energy storage units. I added another 100 watts of solar. This was adequate over the summer when the sun was out but when fall hit I noticed a drain on the batteries. Turns out that the inverter can consume 250 mA even when everything is off. I installed a manual switch (Blue Sea) to isolate the inverter. Now, when I look at the overnight draw, my battery monitor indicates 0 AH! There are many threads/posts dealing with all things electrical and this forum is a blessing. If you have moderate skills, you can tackle all of this yourself with help from this forum. Search for my posts to see pictures and descriptions of the upgrades I have done.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Thank You and great Information for a newbie! A real learning experience with challenges for a retiree with time on his hands.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly43 View Post
Once you get a good set of batteries do not be surprised that the batteries will go down over time depending on the amount of solar input you are getting. I have a 2016 Grand Tour with 200 watts solar input. If I get a string of cloudy days, it was not uncommon for the Victron to show the batteries going down even though the 12V system and all other appliances are off. Understanding, locating and eliminating all the parasitic drains was a time consuming process. First I put in an in series switch for the propane valve. Then I ditched the Atkinson solar controller for a Victron unit with battery monitor. By far the best change I made that allows for accurate monitoring of your energy storage units. I added another 100 watts of solar. This was adequate over the summer when the sun was out but when fall hit I noticed a drain on the batteries. Turns out that the inverter can consume 250 mA even when everything is off. I installed a manual switch (Blue Sea) to isolate the inverter. Now, when I look at the overnight draw, my battery monitor indicates 0 AH! There are many threads/posts dealing with all things electrical and this forum is a blessing. If you have moderate skills, you can tackle all of this yourself with help from this forum. Search for my posts to see pictures and descriptions of the upgrades I have done.

Excellent advice on chasing parasitic drain. I have reduced mine to a low level, but you've done a great job. For my area where cloudy days are few, solar would not have the problem. When my tiny 40w solar does work (with infuriating inconsistency due to the factory Atkinson controller) it has helped cut the remaining battery drain in half. I need to do the Victron controller update, just a little cautious on whether I can do it myself with my limited skillset.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #17
Chi
1 Rivet Member

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Irvine , California
AI19 battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Excellent advice on chasing parasitic drain. I have reduced mine to a low level, but you've done a great job. For my area where cloudy days are few, solar would not have the problem. When my tiny 40w solar does work (with infuriating inconsistency due to the factory Atkinson controller) it has helped cut the remaining battery drain in half. I need to do the Victron controller update, just a little cautious on whether I can do it myself with my limited skillset.

I own an AI19/2019 and have the same battery drain problem. The inverter drains the battery power even it is off. Could anyone show me how to put a manual switch on it? The battery holder under the passenger step has more room to be reworked for a large size battery, i.e. Lifeline GPL-24T to GPL-30HT. Could it be a solution?
Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #18
old/new member

Austin , Texas
Manual switch for inverter on IS 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi View Post
I own an AI19/2019 and have the same battery drain problem. The inverter drains the battery power even it is off. Could anyone show me how to put a manual switch on it? The battery holder under the passenger step has more room to be reworked for a large size battery, i.e. Lifeline GPL-24T to GPL-30HT. Could it be a solution?

There is a previous thread on this. My IS 19 has a manual switch for the inverter under the passenger seat separate from the main disconnect as shown below.
Attached Images

preedtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #19
Chi
1 Rivet Member

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Irvine , California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by preedtx View Post
There is a previous thread on this. My IS 19 has a manual switch for the inverter under the passenger seat separate from the main disconnect as shown below.
Actually, I found two house batteries on the each side of IS19, i.e. one under the passenger's step, and, the other under the driver's step. Before I tried to replace GPL-24T to GPL-30HT. I found out my GPL-24T was bad. Two Lifeline GPL-24Ts should be enough for one over-night boondocking. The BD batteries denied the five years warranty and gave me a hard time. When I talked to LifeLine directly, the customer service was excellent and gave me the resolution right away. Now, I have two brand new batteries. I can try it on my next RV vacation. If you have the low voltage warning overnight problem on IS-19, my suggestion is to remove the batteries from the holder and check it by the batteries expert, not BD Batteries, first. It only took 20 minutes to remove the batteries in the OC Airstream dealer.
Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:21 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi View Post
Actually, I found two house batteries on the each side of IS19, i.e. one under the passenger's step, and, the other under the driver's step. Before I tried to replace GPL-24T to GPL-30HT. I found out my GPL-24T was bad. Two Lifeline GPL-24Ts should be enough for one over-night boondocking. The BD batteries denied the five years warranty and gave me a hard time. When I talked to LifeLine directly, the customer service was excellent and gave me the resolution right away. Now, I have two brand new batteries. I can try it on my next RV vacation. If you have the low voltage warning overnight problem on IS-19, my suggestion is to remove the batteries from the holder and check it by the batteries expert, not BD Batteries, first. It only took 20 minutes to remove the batteries in the OC Airstream dealer.

The two LifeLine house batteries will not get you through a overnight stay, at least not with the recommended 50% battery discharge. The boondocking with LifeLine batteries is a known issue or concern. The LifeLine batteries themselves is a great battery, just not designed to support the AI19. I went through a similar process you described as well as other owners I know and the results were the same. I ended up using 2x Goal Zero solar generator which was great but took up garage space. In December 2020, I had Airstream upgrade my LifeLine batteries to BattleBorns and I haven’t plugged up to shore power since. I also removed and sold my Goal Zeros. Now instead of 80 amp hours, I have 200 amp hours and I don’t ever have to worry about power.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote