Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Check all the wheels on the screen...roll them completely around. Mine fell off in my hand the first time i used it becase a roller is chipped in 2 places
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurossjr View Post
Thanks I am hoping the technology these units doesn’t become a monster. I read these threads and they scare me to death. My wife is already saying if this isn’t fun it goes back[emoji30] screen door came off and I’ve worked on the adjustment for an hour to no avail.
Don't get too intimidated by the tech. A lot of us in the forum just like to vent, especially the former techies, because we have our own ideas of how things ought to be built. There WILL BE problems & bugs to fix. But that is true of any new stuff as complicated as an rv. The AI, although small compared to a 40 ft class A, still has the same systems installed, just in smaller scale. And both are just rolling small homes. If you have built a new home from scratch, it is a headache from start to finish. I keep saying I will never do it again, but we are on #4 . In spite of some start-up problems, we are having fun & enjoying our AI. I would do it all over again, anytime, especially knowing I have lots of helpful experience here.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Thanks I am hoping the technology these units doesn’t become a monster. I read these threads and they scare me to death. My wife is already saying if this isn’t fun it goes back[emoji30] screen door came off and I’ve worked on the adjustment for an hour to no avail.

It's frustrating when things break, but a motor home is a combination of a home & a vehicle and all the mechanical features that go with each. My AS Avenue is well out of warranty so I don't have to deal with that aspect.

The main problem is the RV dealers I've dealt with charge an hourly rate higher than most local plumbers, electricians, and mechanics and yet don't have much expertise in diagnosing/fixing problems. I've gotten pretty good at DIY repairs because, after all, I can't break something that's already broken.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #24
DudleyD

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The large refrigerator and freezer on the Grand Tour precludes overnighting without hookups on the installed batteries.

A GT has a 550 ohm resistor in the control circuit for the refrigerator. That, alone, runs the compressor at about 2750 rpm rather than the 2000 rpm of the Lounge. This resistor probably increases the amp-hours needed for the refrigerator by at least 50%. Add the amp-hours of the freezer, and you are using a lot of amp-hours for the two boxes.

My Lounge will just safely go overnight in hot weather. There is no way that a GT will do so without additional batteries, generator, or idling the engine.
I had AI install 2 addl batteries and solar pane but seems to have made no difference
We intend to use without hook up and am afraid we’ve made the wrong decision.
Jdurossjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
I had AI install 2 addl batteries and solar pane but seems to have made no difference

I think you will want to look at that MPPT controller.

I felt very similar after the purchase thinking I miss understood the capabilities and really over sold the functionality to the wife. This forum has a ton a great people that have a lot of wisdom and guidance. Your AI might not be perfect today but it is a journey and it has the opportunity to be customized to different needs. Hang in there.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
You made the right decision... you just have some components that are working against you... BIM and Solar controller...

Change those and things should improve significantly...

I did mine... here is the link where I documented some of it:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2047788

And a photo of both items installed... Blue Sea ACR that replaced the BIM and the Victron that replaced the solar controller...

Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622
Victron SmartSolar 100/30 MPPT Solar Charge Controller (the Smart version is the newer one with built-in Bluetooth... go with that one).
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
Sue 1235

2003 34' Classic
1994 34' Limited
2013 Interstate Coach
DADE CITY , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
You made the right decision... you just have some components that are working against you... BIM and Solar controller...

And a photo of both items installed... Blue Sea ACR that replaced the BIM and the Victron that replaced the solar controller...

Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622
Victron SmartSolar 100/30 MPPT Solar Charge Controller (the Smart version is the newer one with built-in Bluetooth... go with that one).
I would like to know where to go if I want to make these changes. Sorry but it is well past my DYI abilities. I boondock once a year at my granddaughters, they live off the grid so no power. Also I am interested in a caravan with boondocking stops. When i had an Airstream TT it had a full solar system and was great for off the grid.

WBCCI #1235
Sue Yeutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #28
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Yeutter View Post
I would like to know where to go if I want to make these changes. Sorry but it is well past my DYI abilities. I boondock once a year at my granddaughters, they live off the grid so no power. Also I am interested in a caravan with boondocking stops. When i had an Airstream TT it had a full solar system and was great for off the grid.
Contact Lew Farber (lewster in this forum)

https://www.solartechenergy.net

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...ter-10325.html

He is located in Naples, FL.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Contact Lew Farber (lewster in this forum)

https://www.solartechenergy.net

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...ter-10325.html

He is located in Naples, FL.
What he said...
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #30
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
Quote:

Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622
I read enough pages of the linked thread that my brain needed a rest but still not sure, in lay terms, what the net result of those two modifications are. It does seem based on what I'm reading that it is a high priority for anyone with unpredictable power access.

And to clarify, are people adding a 4th 100w solar panel to an AI that shipped with 300w, or a 2nd to one with 100w standard?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I read enough pages of the linked thread that my brain needed a rest but still not sure, in lay terms, what the net result of those two modifications are. It does seem based on what I'm reading that it is a high priority for anyone with unpredictable power access.

And to clarify, are people adding a 4th 100w solar panel to an AI that shipped with 300w, or a 2nd to one with 100w standard?
Yes (some would argue for every AI), Yes, & Yes.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote