Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Roseville , California
AI Lounge Electrical Issue

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this issue has been covered previously. I have 2010 Interstate lounge and the rear outlet for the flat screen is not working. I checked the GFI in the box and went through all three settings. It still does not work. Also, it seems to be the only one not working. Additionally, I did notice on this last trip that when I switched it to inverting while driving, it was not showing a full charge on the 3 lights on the left. I have an Aux battery as well and both batteries show around 12v when checking. I'm not great with electrical so any insight would be appreciated.
russneault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First test the outlet with any known good light. If the outlet is good your problem is in the TV. If it is not god look at the circuit breaker panel. If the outlet is on a GFI circuit you may have to force the breaker to the off position and reset it to get it to work.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Roseville , California
I did verify it is the outlet and not the TV by using a nightlight. And I checked the 4th fuse which is good. Is there another GFI somewhere else? The manual says there is one near the inventor but not sure where that is.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I cannot comment on a 2010, but on my 2013.5 model, there are something like 3 sockets on a single GFI circuit, and if it trips, all three sockets are out. So look at all your other sockets to see if there's a GFI.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
And if you haven't looked at it yet, check out the 2010 Manual here:
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ate-manual.pdf
There are several references to GFI.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Both of my TV's and one other plug are on the same circuit, protected by one GFCI. So if one TV plug is live and the other not it seems to have to be a loose wire feeding the plug that is not working.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Roseville , California
Thanks. I have reviewed the manual and checked the breaker #4. I also checked the 4th fuse which is brown and it looks good. The manual references other GFI receptacles but I do not see any actual GFI receptacles in the van. The only GFI I see is the breaker on the panel. To the right of the panel breakers, is a white box, perhaps that is the inverter? There is what appears to be a data type cable coming from it. There are also two reset buttons with charge indicator lights. Any idea about what this is and what these reset buttons are for? I'll get a picture tonight and post it. I think one button is black and the other either white or red. I'll also have to check and see if the receptacle down low is functioning. I'll test a few more things tonight and post a picture of what I'm seeing. Thanks again for all your help. I'm really not good with electrical.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by russneault View Post
Thanks. I have reviewed the manual and checked the breaker #4. I also checked the 4th fuse which is brown and it looks good. The manual references other GFI receptacles but I do not see any actual GFI receptacles in the van. The only GFI I see is the breaker on the panel. To the right of the panel breakers, is a white box, perhaps that is the inverter? There is what appears to be a data type cable coming from it. There are also two reset buttons with charge indicator lights. Any idea about what this is and what these reset buttons are for? I'll get a picture tonight and post it. I think one button is black and the other either white or red. I'll also have to check and see if the receptacle down low is functioning. I'll test a few more things tonight and post a picture of what I'm seeing. Thanks again for all your help. I'm really not good with electrical.

On my 2013 there is a 120VAC receptacle near the floor behind the driver seat. It is GFI and powers all TV outlets. It is also the only circuit powered by the inverter.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
There are three sets of fuses:
1) circuit breakers like you (probably) have in your home. #4 is the one that is for the invertor outlets.
2) thermal breakers that are inside the space beneath the rear seat
3) 12v fuses - where brown means 7 1/2 amps. On mine #4 is 15A (blue) but they probably changed things between 2010 and 2013.

The reset button on something with a data cable is not a GFCI reset.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Please check battery voltage again

I am no expert on AI's but have had Type B motor coaches for 28 years. Your batteries may be too low for the inverter to function. 12.0 VDC is the reading for a basically depleted battery. Most inverters cut off automatically at some pre set voltage. You could check to see what your inverter uses. If it is a GFI fault, you could find this out by connecting shore power and seeing if the power outlets work. If not, reset the GFI at the one with the buttons. Most RV's have several outlets daisy chained to the GFI equipped outlet.

What I'm thinking is: you are testing the GFI outlet with power from the inverter BUT the inverter isn't supplying any AC power because the batteries are flat. If I'm in error on this, my trouble shooting ideas above should help (use shore power).

Good luck and Merry Christmas !
You're getting to work with an A/S, so it's not bad at all.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
On my 2013 there is a 120VAC receptacle near the floor behind the driver seat. It is GFI and powers all TV outlets. It is also the only circuit powered by the inverter.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
My money's on Mike's suggestion. It happened to me once and created massive rioting 'til I got the TVs restored. While I knew about the outlet under the street side 2nd row seat, didn't know it was a GFCI. Why Airstream elected to hide it there instead of the rear TV outlet, I'll never know.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Roseville , California
Thank for all your input. Turns out, Titus was right. I only have one TV in the back in my Lounge. I didn't realize there was a GFI receptacle up front in the overhead cabinet that was used for a front TV. Those two are the same circuit. That GFI was tripped and once reset, all worked. Ironically, the galley outlets were not working either and that was the GFI breaker on the panel. I put a new one in and it they all work perfectly. Thanks again for all your help. At least now I have a better understanding for future reference, when out on the road. Happy Holidays
Old 12-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

fairfax station , va
AI does not stand for aritificial intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Why Airstream elected to hide it there instead of the rear TV outlet, I'll never know.
They put it there so when you sit in the rear seat and reach down to try to find the receptacle to plug something in the blind, you push the test button and trip the circuit without knowing it.

This has to happen to you about five times before you realize "it happened again"
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
They put it there so when you sit in the rear seat and reach down to try to find the receptacle to plug something in the blind, you push the test button and trip the circuit without knowing it.

This has to happen to you about five times before you realize "it happened again"
Been there and done that too....
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote