Old 08-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
AI Ext Sofa bed bar broken

This weekend, while on a trip to Canada, the slide out bar came off from underneath the sofa bed. I slept without it on my last day and everything seemed fine. What exactly does it do besides hold the fold down extended pieces? Do I really need it if I don't need the additional length?

Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Having never seen one except in brochure pics, I'd say you don't need it if you aren't using the fold down extension. And if you're not using them, you could remove them and gain some space and less weight.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
AI Ext Sofa bed bar broken

It's just a support for the fold down extension for the bed for anyone who needs a bed longer than 6'2". More to go wrong in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
This weekend, while on a trip to Canada, the slide out bar came off from underneath the sofa bed. I slept without it on my last day and everything seemed fine. What exactly does it do besides hold the fold down extended pieces? Do I really need it if I don't need the additional length?

Jackie - as others have pointed out you don't need that slide out bar unless you use the two fold down bed extensions. Since I don't need the bed extensions I removed both the slide bar and fold downs to give me more rear area storage

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
Well, I'm considering selling my AI next year. And getting a class A. If this fix is covered under the warranty, I should probably just get it repaired but thanks for the info. Glad to know it is not important.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Jackie - as others have pointed out you don't need that slide out bar unless you use the two fold down bed extensions. Since I don't need the bed extensions I removed both the slide bar and fold downs to give me more rear area storage

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Hi Mike. We also have a 2013 extended, and we're thinking of removing the bar to gain a little more storage under the bed. How big of a process is it to remove the bar? We are not exactly the mechanical types!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Hi Mike. We also have a 2013 extended, and we're thinking of removing the bar to gain a little more storage under the bed. How big of a process is it to remove the bar? We are not exactly the mechanical types!

If I recall it is just held in by pop rivets. They can be drilled out, but take some effort as they are steel rivets. I then also removed the side fold down bed extensions as they are just held in place by a few screws into the side paneling.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I removed mine when I eliminated the side fold down extensions. Since they could not be used when I installed my two vertical cabinets that go from the floor to the rear overhead cabinet, I removed the small netted storage areas on each side. This gave me more room to store tall items between the extra cabinets and the outside wall like an ironing board, drying clothes rack, umbrella's, brooms, etc.

By the way, after using the cabinets this year on our trips, installing these cabinets are, by far, the best modification that I have made to the AI. They dramatically increased the storage area behind the seats.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I removed mine when I eliminated the side fold down extensions. Since they could not be used when I installed my two vertical cabinets that go from the floor to the rear overhead cabinet, I removed the small netted storage areas on each side. This gave me more room to store tall items between the extra cabinets and the outside wall like an ironing board, drying clothes rack, umbrella's, brooms, etc.

By the way, after using the cabinets this year on our trips, installing these cabinets are, by far, the best modification that I have made to the AI. They dramatically increased the storage area behind the seats.

Thanks for your input. Was the sliding bar difficult to remove? Was it installed using screws or rivets as mentioned by Mike?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamato View Post
Thanks for your input. Was the sliding bar difficult to remove? Was it installed using screws or rivets as mentioned by Mike?

It was fastened with rivets. Easily drilled out. Only took a few minutes.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
Mine broke, however I replaced it with more durable sliding rails. For us, the primary purpose of use is to store our collapsible camp chairs, fire tools, etc. We basically treat it a a pullout shell. Never use it to support the bed fold down arms.

2012 Interstate EXT
Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
It was fastened with rivets. Easily drilled out. Only took a few minutes.
Correction!!!

The track for the bar is held in by rivets. And I thought I remembered drilling out the rivets, but I didn't. That bar works just like a cabinet drawer. If you push in on the releases on each side, the bar will slide off the track. I then used a couple zip ties to keep the track from sliding in and out.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
I went to Colonial yesterday and the awesome repair crew fixed it on warranty. Apparently this happens a lot.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Correction!!!

The track for the bar is held in by rivets. And I thought I remembered drilling out the rivets, but I didn't. That bar works just like a cabinet drawer. If you push in on the releases on each side, the bar will slide off the track. I then used a couple zip ties to keep the track from sliding in and out.

Thanks for the picture, Jerhofer! It doesn't look complicated after all. We made it on this trip with the bar, but it is nice to know that it is easily removed.

Laura and Vince