Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

AI 2014 battery question

Hello again. You all have been so helpful this past week. We have an issue with the batteries not holding a charge. We finally had a chance to look over them and they look fine, but I have never figured out how to tell when they are fully charged. Our solar display will show 100 percent as soon as it's hooked up or running on the genset and then drop to 40% when powered off.

We also checked for loose wires/connections back there and couldn't find anything.

Before assuming that we need to replace the lifeline batteries, what else can I try?

Thanks so much! - Christina
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
If you're hooked up to shore power - or running the generator - for several hours, then the Magnum will go through its stages and will eventually end with the float stage. That is set for 13.1 volts for the standard type of battery used on Interstates (AGM Type 1). And for these batteries, anything above 12.8 volts or higher is considered 100% charge, and that will also display on the solar display.
So if you then unhook shore power - or stop the generator - and the charge display drops to 40%, then without doubt your batteries are toast. You can get a battery dealer or good RV service shop to load test them to verify this, but from what you say, I think they are already bad and you need to replace them.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
With Lifeline AGMs (assuming that you have your original batteries), you can do a simple voltage test to see if your batteries are still viable. No load test is really necessary.

After fully charging them (inverter shows to be in float charge), let them rest for an hour with no load on them (turn off your battery disconnect or remove the negative cable from the batter bank). Their resting, no load voltage should read 12.8-13.2VDC with a volt meter. If it is anything less, they have lost their capacity to hold a charge.

Lifelines will hold their voltage at this level with no load on them for periods up to 90 days or longer. If yours are showing a precipitous voltage drop after such a short time, they are gone and should be replaced.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Well, so glad I took notice of the comment "assuming you have your original batteries". I double checked and we don't! The dealership told us we had lifeline AGMs and gave us the manual. We in fact have the Interstate brand SRM 24. It is a flooded battery. Our 2014 AI was preowned and the dealership was shady so this is not surprising. So all this time we never really inspected the batteries thinking we had AGMs. Now things make more sense!
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
With Lifeline AGMs (assuming that you have your original batteries), you can do a simple voltage test to see if your batteries are still viable. No load test is really necessary.

After fully charging them (inverter shows to be in float charge), let them rest for an hour with no load on them (turn off your battery disconnect or remove the negative cable from the batter bank). Their resting, no load voltage should read 12.8-13.2VDC with a volt meter. If it is anything less, they have lost their capacity to hold a charge.

Lifelines will hold their voltage at this level with no load on them for periods up to 90 days or longer. If yours are showing a precipitous voltage drop after such a short time, they are gone and should be replaced.
I have a 2015 AI, which I purchased preowned, and thinking my batteries may be cooked. Where are the batteries located on the RV. Also would you recommend replacing with same brand /type batteries..?
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Depending on your actual model, I would first check under the van behind the rear driver's side wheels. You should find two Lifeline group 24 batteries in steel battery 'boxes' with the terminals exposed.

If nothing is under the coach, they will be in a black steel case under the rear lounge on the passenger side.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
Old 05-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Lew,

I preformed your recommended test on batteries, and the result, after charging batteries to a float charge , its been about two hours and it's showing 12.4 to 12.5. seems to be holding. Is that acceptable.??
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Lew,

I preformed your recommended test on batteries, and the result, after charging batteries to a float charge, its been about two hours and it's showing 12.4 to 12.5. seems to be holding. Is that acceptable.??
After reaching float charge, your batteries should be showing 12.8-13.2VDC if they are retaining the charge at their full capacity. !2.4-12.5VDC is definitely NOT FULL or 100%......more like 75%.

I would guess that your battery capacity has been compromised at some point and the batteries are showing symptoms of sulfation. You can try to bring them back by applying a 'conditioning charge' that's listed in the Lifeline battery tech manual, but unless you have a lab grade charger, it probably won't make a difference in the batteries' charge retention abilities.

Looks like you need a new set.

There is a little round sticker on the side wall each battery that has their date code. You might retrieve this date code and put a call into Lifeline to see if they are still covered under their 5 year pro-rated warranty.