Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
The first 2014's were built on a 2013 Mercedes Sprinter. People used 2014.5 to refer to the 2014 AI on a 2014 Sprinter.

Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Just a quick note on the various builders using Sprinters, sorry if it is a little off topic.

I was at an RV show this weekend and poked around a bunch of sprinters. I have to say hands down the AI GT was the best of the best, in terms of equipment, build quality and floor plan. I know it was also the most expensive by at least $15k on MRSP.

I was very impressed with the AI GT.

Mad Astrophysicist turned sales guy that works to fund his dirty snowbaording habbit, mwah-ha-ha . . .
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #17
2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The biggest change of all is the introduction of the Grand Tour model in 2014, which has a floor plan optimized for camping (as much as a B-van can be optimized, anyway) rather than people-hauling.

The 2012 model did not include an extended floor plan; that was introduced in 2012.5 I believe, but I bought mine a couple of months before the first EXT Interstate was even available.

Other than that, as weirdstuff pointed out, about 2013 they introduced the Fiamma F65 Eagle awning that doesn't have support rods and that auto-retracts. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Good because you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to take it in if the weather turns nasty, bad because you can't really hang patio lights off of it or install a screen room on it lest it auto-retract before you can remove whatever you hung on it.

2013 was also the model year that they started using Magnum inverter/chargers instead of TrippLite inverter/chargers. The Magnums are definitely superior.

2013 models are the first to have the "boost" feature that lets you use the house batteries to jump-start the engine if the chassis battery is dead. Most owners haven't used this feature and hope to never need it. It's a great way to ruin your house batteries, which aren't designed to discharge that quickly, but it's still better than being stranded.

2013 is also the first model year to have a remote switch for the main battery disconnect near the sliding side door. Older models had a single switch behind a panel under the sofa/bed or under one of the twin beds if you had a twin-bed model. I don't know of anyone who hates having the remote switch.

In 2014, besides the Grand Tour model, all Interstates incorporate more of the optional Mercedes-Benz Sprinter safety equipment than in previous models. But bear in mind, that really only applies to the 2014.5 and later, because early 2014 Interstates were built on 2013 Sprinter vans.

I have a 2012 (built on a 2011 Sprinter), with the TrippLite, and the standard Fiamma F65 awning that has support legs, and without the newer Sprinter safety features or the remote disconnect or the boost feature. I get by just fine without the improvements, and see no reason to trade mine in on a newer model. I'll keep mine for as long as I'm still healthy enough to use it, and as long as I can still find parts to keep it in good repair.
Nice comparison by Protagonist. If I may. 2013. If you have your headlights on during the day (Canada required) and you leave the coach by the slider, the Sprinter will not remind you that you left your lights on (like I did in a Northern CA golf course parking lot). Exit the driver door, you get a warning. Simply put, the battery boost button saved me an embarassing call to AAA. Nice feature to consider.

jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote