Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
+1 on Bull Run Regional Park. Incredibly quiet and wooded. Near many of the battlefields and fairly close to Udvar Hazy. We parked our Interstate in the regular parking lot.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Just an FYI The DC metro system is under a major renovation. Make sure you go to the WMATA website and review the safe track schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Jackstincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #23
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Parking at Union Station is an option as there is a deck for buses, coaches and RVs. It may take a couple of circles to locate the entrance. I thought the hourly rates were reasonable. But if your an early bird you could find free parking along the Potomac and enjoy a nice walk to everything. We do this often as we live in Maryland and don't mind driving in early parking free in and around the National Mall.

WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

I wanted to say thanks for all of the advice concerning where to stay and things to do in D.C. It ended up being very enjoyable albeit a whole lot of people!. We ended up staying at Cherry Hill which was very nice.took the metro to the subway. We were able to go to several monuments and several of the smithsonian museums. Got to see the White House, Library of Congress, National Archives, as well as a few other places. I would highly recommend going to see the Arlington Cemetary and while there be sure to watch the Changing of the Guard. There's so much to see and we only had a few days in which to see things. But I'm glad we went! Once again thanks for all the input everybody!
eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the feedback and glad you had a good time!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #26
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
I'll be heading to DC for the AUSA annual meeting 10/3 cherry hill looks like it's pretty far out of town. The $300+/night for a. Place to sleep for 5 hrs is crazy when I have an AI!

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
You may want to try Bull Run or Lake Fairfax Park. Both are pretty close to DC on the VA side. Lake Fairfax is near to the silver line metro and pretty sure there is a bus from the gate.

I would suggest RT 29 from your location vs 85 / 95. It is a bit slower but a lot less traffic.

If you come up 85/95 you may want to try Pohick Bay , Prince William Forest or Burke Lake parks since they are closer to 95

Jackstincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #28
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Thanks for all the help everyone! love this forum.

- since I'll be eating dinner until 11pm, and 'networking' until 1am most nights I think I'm going with the Union Station choice. If they see me 'car camping' and kick me out I guess I'll head out to Cherry Hill; but I've slept in parallel parking spots with no trouble in the past so should be fine.

They were very nice and I just need to email for reservations and a guaranteed spot.

http://www.unionstationdc.com/parking

Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Can you go in as a passenger car, given your vertical height, or do you have to pay the bus rates, which are pretty steep IMO (for your intended use).

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone! love this forum.

- since I'll be eating dinner until 11pm, and 'networking' until 1am most nights I think I'm going with the Union Station choice. If they see me 'car camping' and kick me out I guess I'll head out to Cherry Hill; but I've slept in parallel parking spots with no trouble in the past so should be fine.

They were very nice and I just need to email for reservations and a guaranteed spot.

http://www.unionstationdc.com/parking

Old 09-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #30
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Since I'm 9'5"+ figured the $60/night bus parking would be best. Plus I get unlimited in/out if I decide I want to drive somewhere! (not likely).
Old 09-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #31
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsknutson View Post
But if your an early bird you could find free parking along the Potomac and enjoy a nice walk to everything.
That would be a great idea for a day trip, I will keep that in mind for future - I always get to destination around 3am - 4am and catch a catnap before the day (Man I do love my AI). This trip I'll need to be there 3 days and need a place to bed down.

NOTE: parking a few miles from anything is no issue in DC if you are near a bike rack - wife and I had great time biking from rack to rack for free! Only one time (lincoln memorial) did we come on a rack that had no bikes. Called the number to report it, but they already knew and had bikes there 5 minutes later. https://www.capitalbikeshare.com/
Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Since I'm 9'5"+ figured the $60/night bus parking would be best. Plus I get unlimited in/out if I decide I want to drive somewhere! (not likely).
Sounds like a good plan. Have fun!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #33
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Worked great. Need to be confident in your security, but $30/night. Slept in van, coffee and shower with Ginny running in AM -Was Great!

Arrived at 3 AM nobody here, picked spot in back and god to go.

3 day trade show in DC for under $300 including fuel, Meals & lodging!

That reduces cost of AI by $1200. Only 100 more shows and this baby's ROI is ++ (LOL)

https://maps.apple.com/?ll=38.903526...20Location&t=m

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475704927.991792.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	272933Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475704950.321439.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	272934
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475705299.836502.jpg