Old 08-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Jo B. View Post
Prince William Forest RV Park in Dumfries, VA was very good for us. We have just returned from a cross-country trip and stayed there twice. It is about 25 miles south of D.C. and the closest RV park on the south side. It has quick access to I-95 and is easy to find. Everything is clean and it has a nice woodsy feel.
Prince William Park is nice, but it's about twice the distance to downtown on the South side as Pohick Bay is.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
We stayed at Bull Run State Park outside Washington DC, which is very quiet and relaxing. Completely out of the DC fray of activity. However, access to DC is not great. It took us about 30 minutes of driving to get to the Vienna Metro stop. From there it was easy.

When near DC you might like the NEW Air & Space Museum near Dulles Airport, outside of DC. They have the Enola Gay there and a Space Shuttle, plus an incredible array of space vehicles and airplanes. Allow at least half a day.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
+1 on Jaleo tapas bar! Always eat there when I go to DC.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #18
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
Do you belong to BPOE? If you do check out 1288
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Going to DC tomorrow (Thursday). This time, though, it's only for a long weekend, and the First Class mode of transportation stays home, and I will have to travel by third class cattle/air transport, instead.

If you get a chance, see the Newseum and really fascinating. Much better than the Spy Museum for your time and money in my opinion. The Air and Space Museum at Dulles is also must.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
North Augusta , South Carolina
Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD, is indeed pricey, but if you don't want to have to move your Interstate to get to public transportation, it is a good option.

We stayed there years ago when the U.S. Open (golf) was held at Bethpage. I went to the golfcourse on tournament days, but during practice rounds, I hopped the bus from the RV park entrance, rode a few miles to the Metro and took that into the city to sightsee. They also have guided tours (Gray Line) that pick up directly at the park twice per day. Easy peasy, and the dogs stayed in the A/C RV hooked up at the park.

https://www.cherryhillpark.com/index...transportation
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
+1 on Bull Run Regional Park. Incredibly quiet and wooded. Near many of the battlefields and fairly close to Udvar Hazy. We parked our Interstate in the regular parking lot.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Just an FYI The DC metro system is under a major renovation. Make sure you go to the WMATA website and review the safe track schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #23
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Parking at Union Station is an option as there is a deck for buses, coaches and RVs. It may take a couple of circles to locate the entrance. I thought the hourly rates were reasonable. But if your an early bird you could find free parking along the Potomac and enjoy a nice walk to everything. We do this often as we live in Maryland and don't mind driving in early parking free in and around the National Mall.

WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

I wanted to say thanks for all of the advice concerning where to stay and things to do in D.C. It ended up being very enjoyable albeit a whole lot of people!. We ended up staying at Cherry Hill which was very nice.took the metro to the subway. We were able to go to several monuments and several of the smithsonian museums. Got to see the White House, Library of Congress, National Archives, as well as a few other places. I would highly recommend going to see the Arlington Cemetary and while there be sure to watch the Changing of the Guard. There's so much to see and we only had a few days in which to see things. But I'm glad we went! Once again thanks for all the input everybody!
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the feedback and glad you had a good time!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #26
Trying to Retire

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pinehurst , North Carolina
I'll be heading to DC for the AUSA annual meeting 10/3 cherry hill looks like it's pretty far out of town. The $300+/night for a. Place to sleep for 5 hrs is crazy when I have an AI!

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
You may want to try Bull Run or Lake Fairfax Park. Both are pretty close to DC on the VA side. Lake Fairfax is near to the silver line metro and pretty sure there is a bus from the gate.

I would suggest RT 29 from your location vs 85 / 95. It is a bit slower but a lot less traffic.

If you come up 85/95 you may want to try Pohick Bay , Prince William Forest or Burke Lake parks since they are closer to 95

Old 09-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #28
Trying to Retire

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Thanks for all the help everyone! love this forum.

- since I'll be eating dinner until 11pm, and 'networking' until 1am most nights I think I'm going with the Union Station choice. If they see me 'car camping' and kick me out I guess I'll head out to Cherry Hill; but I've slept in parallel parking spots with no trouble in the past so should be fine.

They were very nice and I just need to email for reservations and a guaranteed spot.

http://www.unionstationdc.com/parking

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote