Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ponte Vedra Beach , Florida
Advice on bedding

Hey everybody. I have enjoyed learning through everyone's posts and am awaiting delivery on a 2018 Grand Tour with regular bed. Please share with my wife and I your solutions for making the bed more comfortable...foam toppers, etc.
Separate question...what do the rivets mean for some of you?
FlStrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlStrmr View Post
Separate question...what do the rivets mean for some of you?
The smarter you are, the more rivets you get.

Just kidding. I think it's based on the amount of posts you have on this site. Or how pretty you are....

Welcome. I use a memory foam topper on mine - but it's a gaucho/fold-out and the topper prevents me feeling the decorative buttons and trim on the cushions.

Cheers,
2006 F-150 Lariat QuadCrew
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We converted from queen to twin. We use regular mattress with bamboo sheets and pillow case; cool in summer and warm in winter. Feel like silk. Thinking of adding topper.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
The key to our bed comfort has been two large sleeping bags. Very easy to lay out, easy to use, easy to pick up. With air conditioning in the summer and light use of the heater when cold, this works out very well for us.
bankerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Bed Midifications

I used 4 inch foam bedding and cut it into two 34 inch wide sections we covered each piece with a single bed fitted sheet to make two separate single beds that fit over the extended sofa and side seats. When we travel and camp, we generally leave the beds made up as we have the lounge model with the seating area up front and we would rather not remake the beds each day/night. However, if we want to use the rear seating area, it is easy to roll up the beds, secure them each with two shock cords, and put them behind the sofa. Without the foam mattresses we find the sofa bed to be very lumpy and uncomfortable although my wife can handle it better than me. We are very comfortable with this arrangement and we had tried several other arrangements before this since 2009, this being our third AI.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlStrmr View Post
Hey everybody. I have enjoyed learning through everyone's posts and am awaiting delivery on a 2018 Grand Tour with regular bed. Please share with my wife and I your solutions for making the bed more comfortable...foam toppers, etc.
I've tried foam toppers. But for me they're too bulky and awkward to store when not in use (my Interstate is a 2012 model that's only 22'9" long, before they started making the EXT Interstates). To make the sofa/bed more comfortable, I removed the two upholstered wooden boards on the side-facing seats, since they were high-points that pressed hard into whatever body part happened to rest on them. That one modification made the bed infinitely more comfortable even without the foam topper.

Most of the time I used a lightweight double-bed-sized sleeping bag from Cabela's, rated for temperatures down to 40°F, because I'll never let it get colder than that while I'm camping in it. But sleeping bags are too bulky to wash in my home washer and many coin-op washers, and too expensive to dry-clean.

So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a queen-sized RV SuperBag (https://www.rvsuperbag.com/), which is essentially a sleeping bag with removable and easily washable sheets. I also ordered a spare set of sheets for it. The SuperBag hasn't arrived yet, so I can't really say how well that will work. But I expect the SuperBag will be a significant improvement over the sleeping bag I was using up to now.

And for when it gets really cold (or at least for when I feel really cold, which isn't quite the same thing), I also have a fleece blanket I can throw on top for extra warmth.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I use a comfy, cushiony mattress pad beneath, which folds up into a large pillow sham during the day, and an all season down comforter with duvet cover on top.

Wash the mattress pad and duvet cover as you would your sheets, works great.

The comforter stores easily in a cabinet.

Standard pillows also go into shams during the day.

Unconventional bedding, for an unconventional bed.

Keep it simple.

Maggie
Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We had a queen size foam topper shipped to the dealer where we bought the AI, and have used it since day (night) 1. There are just two of us and we always leave the bed down, so topper storage is not a problem. We have elastic straps diagonal at the corner of the fitted sheet and mattress pad and crossways on both, to keep things in place. On top of the sheet we have a comforter, and lay a sleeping bag on top of that when the temperature drops. We find that in the morning the temperature inside the AI is about 10 deg F warmer than it is outside. Before getting out of bed I reach up and turn on the propane switch (my addition) and turn on the furnace. Then I hide back under the covers until it the furnace brings the temperature up. I can still feel the cracks and the edge pieces of the side seats - and think the bed would not be very comfortable without the foam topper. The foam topper is not quite as long as the bed flip-down extensions. And the extensions do not quite reach the rear doors. So pillows slip off the topper onto the extensions, or off the extensions onto the rear floor on occasion.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I can still feel the cracks and the edge pieces of the side seats - and think the bed would not be very comfortable without the foam topper.
That's why I removed those two upholstered wooden boards, AKA "edge pieces." Dips between the cushions are a lot easier to deal with than a thinly-padded wooden board sticking up higher than the cushions.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I modified the boards at the sides of the jack-knife seats by removing some plywood and adding foam to make up the difference. That made them unnoticeable.

I ultimately deep-sixed the couch and jack-knife chairs and converted to twins. Much better overall.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #11

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Sussex , Wisconsin
Red Nomad, 3" California King memory foam topper is an exact fit for Grand Tour, I have a 2016. Roll it up when done and use two bungies to secure it, then lay it on the rail behind rear couch (see sideways pic). Wife and I sleep great with it, just like home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_221938673_iOS.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	299125  
PianoManVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Venice , Florida
My wife and I have the same question and no one seems to have a great solution. Im surprised that Airstream does not have a solution. We just purchased a 2016 GT EXT.
glrosenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Bought a new memory foam for the bedroom at home and cut the gentley used memory foam down to fit the Argosy. An electric carving knife slices through memory foam like a hot knife through butter fyi.....
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:33 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
We started with 2" eggcrate memory foam and king size topper and sheets. The sheets were always pulling loose from the corners and at the bottom. It was a battle to get out in the narrow space at the bottom. I changed to full size sheets and topper which fit perfect across covering the seat and headboard drop downs. The sheet fits around the botom and stays tucked in. I used the extra foam inside the pillow shams for the jump seats. They are attached to the seat frame with tarp clamps so they don't move around. The extra room in the middle makes it much more convenient.
We always leave the bed made up while traveling. Some people like to put everything up during the day. In the end you will have to decide what works best for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170413_083216.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	299227  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a queen-sized RV SuperBag (https://www.rvsuperbag.com/), which is essentially a sleeping bag with removable and easily washable sheets. ...
And for when it gets really cold (or at least for when I feel really cold, which isn't quite the same thing), I also have a fleece blanket I can throw on top for extra warmth.
We use the SuperBag, no topper, and it works fine. We have recently discovered it is not warm enough when van temps drop below 60 (outside temps well below 50), so we are adding a fleece blanket, and a small space heater for when we are plugged in.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Maybe consider an all season down comforter, which are incredibly warm.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
bedding

We have a Lounge version of a 2018 Interstate and we have been thinking about buying a 3" memory foam topper - put it on our wish list. Then my wife remembered we already have a queen size AeroBed so we just tried it. Fits perfectly in the space, a little high but that's ok. Nothing interferes with it. The "whoosh" deflate ability makes it easy to fold up and put away - fits in a bag about 18" x 24" And it's really comfy!
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #18
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
For those with twins

For our twins, depending on season, I use an artificial down comforter and/or a thin, fluffy blanket that I modified from queen-size pieces that I cut in half lengthwise. I bound the comforter cut edge with a tape binding. For the blanket, I simply rolled the cut edge and sewed a zig-zag seam down the rolled edge.

The resulting size is perfect for the 27"-wide twins with plenty of width to tuck in along the wall and hang over on the aisle-side. The tape on the slippery comforter helps hold it in place when tucked down along the wall.

Each item cost me only about $20 on-sale from Camping World.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
We use RV Super-Bags on our twin modified lounge bed. For colder nights my wife, an accomplished quilter, made me this quilt topper.

Name:	20170818_145811189_iOS.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	299617
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
We have the same set up as Titus and have slept as much as five weeks straight with no complaints. We leave the bed set up when we travel.
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote