Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
We just use sleeping bags. Easy way to make bed.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I found my mattress much more comfy when I took it out of the plastic.
Yes, I have a couple of those queen sleeping bags for guests, but there's nothing like a sheet and comforter.

I'm a bad person to opine, because I've slept on foam pads on boats underway.

I added a portable radio, and a digital clock to the bedroom, because that's what I like at home. I can't sleep if it's too quiet.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
This subject is one of the most requested on all of the Class “B” Mercedes-Benz forums I frequent. The most helpful advise which made my wife and my choice much less stressful was of course the AirForums.com. I literally found every solution I could read before my family made our bed modification. Back up story. We first had a 2017, Airstream Flying Cloud 25-foot TWIN bed. We put a memory foam topper on it. We did not like the feel of the twin bed mattresses even with the memory foam. Also, our third guest, a very spoiled 27 LBS French Bulldog named Otis would jump in the middle of the night from one bed to the other. His aim had much to be desired. We now have a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour with Rear Air suspension and a Tommy Bahama Edition. My elaborate description will make sense in the below paragraphs.

What we did to our Interstate:
  • We wanted two twin mattresses to give the illusion of twin beds. This would give us room in between for our evening stuff. It included but not limited too: Tylenol, water bottles, phone/iPads, books, reading glasses, ECT.
  • We used custom made three inch combination foam products. It was two inch’s of Memory Foam with one-inch or Gel Foam. This unit was made to order and came in a really nice cover made of organic cotton with a zipper. We learned about good gel foam some time ago and it makes all the difference in the world. It looks like a three inch mattress and rolls very easily.
  • The two mattresses are identical. Their dimensions were 30 by 74. This gave us 10 inch’s in between the mattresses. The companies name that did this was, MattressInsider.com out of Littleton, Co.
  • We do not fold out the Jack Knife end chairs so my wife and I can easily go to the bath room our “20” times a night. Much easier with the end units allowing an area to get out easier to the facilities. LOL.
  • In the morning, we do NOT raise the couch up, we leave it down. We roll up the beds using two straps each. Move the beds to the end of the couch not utilizing the back extension arms. These are never used because my wife and I are 5’ 10” or less.
  • We place our Tommy Bahama comforter received with our package around the rolled up bed and utilize the pillows as accents.
  • We now have a U-Shaped Sofa in our Airstream and did not have to give up one-inch is storage. It looks and feels great. It is a relatively easy setup/takedown.

Sorry for so much detail but I thought you would like another approach. Keep reading solutions and love any feed back you could give to us. Be well and stay healthy.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Sounds like a great solution. Would you mind posting two pictures - one with the beds laid out ready for sleeping and the other as you describe as your U-Shaped sofa layout for daytime? Thx.
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #25
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob323 View Post
Sounds like a great solution. Would you mind posting two pictures - one with the beds laid out ready for sleeping and the other as you describe as your U-Shaped sofa layout for daytime? Thx.
BOB23- Thanks for popping this in the queue. I have not seen this since I was not yet a member when STHRNGARY posted their setup. I want to see this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
Sorry for so much detail but I thought you would like another approach. Keep reading solutions and love any feed back you could give to us. Be well and stay healthy.[/FONT]
STHRNGARY - I don't think anyone here would mind having plenty of detail. I for one, appreciate it. Hey, we use our Lounge same way you do. We usually don't extend the jacknife. I take the R/S imaginary twin, wife takes the C/S imaginary twin, and 3yr old grandson takes the Mid imaginary twin. We don't use the extension arms either. We are both only 5'5". We don't have the custom mattress you have. We just use 3 self-inflating pads as a test to see if it would be a good & cheap compromise to a full blown custom setup like yours, due to price. The pads are much thinner, only 2" but the plus side is when we roll them up, they fit in cabinet above. Would love seeing your setup laid out and also rolled up. Thanks.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lucedale , Mississippi
Do you have any pictures of this bed idea ?
MamaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Bedding Pictures Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaG View Post
Do you have any pictures of this bed idea ?
MamaG, I am sorry to say I do not have any pictures of my approach to bedding in my past Airstream Interstate. My description given some time ago is the only reference. The queen mattress pad purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond did the trick for me. It was a bit of a hassle to roll up but worth it for a great night sleep.
I sold my Airstream about a year ago. I have not re-purchased another RV. That being said, those times were amazing and will life for ever. Hope I assisted you in some way. Be well.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
We leave the sofa and two side chairs down all the time (lounge ext). We took a king size 3 inch memory foam and cut off about 3 inches from one side. From there we use normal king size heated mattress pad, sheets and blankets. Two old people, one miniature poodle and one black lab sleep cozy, warm and happy.

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote