Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2015, 05:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
My screens would not keep out no-see-ums, and I don't know that anything will.

If you close up the inside, and then run your vent fan to pull fresh air in, they come in thru the screens on the windows.

Maggie
Good point. I'm assuming that partial relief could be achieved by using no-see-um netting on the much larger back and/or side door area, even if the flaps are open. Actually many no-see-um species are as delicate as they are small, preferring still air conditions. I got relief the other day by turning on the Fantastic, which moved enough air through the vehicle to dissuade their biting intentions. But I would rather not listen to that racket, either. I am used to being in tents where this is not an issue.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm.....I haven't seen no-see-um netting, but then, I'm a Yankee and we don't have them way up here.

When I am in the presence of these nasty biters in the South. I just stay inside.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
An interim update here with some food for thought on the biters whose thought is that you are food.

The reason why commercially-available Sprinter screens are hundreds to thousands of dollars apiece is that they are so nightmarishly hard to fit. Because of the 3-D vehicle body curves, appurtenances, etc., the labor to craft even the simplest device is just over the top (said the voice of burgeoning experience). For this reason, I'm trying to simplify the underlying problem, and I'm about to test the prototype shown in this attached pic.

I'm in the deep south, so no-see-um netting is non-negotiable - I have to have it (which eliminates every commercial seller from my consideration as they only offer mosquito screening). I found a really nice crafter piece of black no-see-um netting on Amazon for $8.69. I then took the bug psychology that I learned while boondocking and built it into the prototype.

Regarding that bug psychology, here is what we all know: bugs will go to the light and biting flies will go primarily to the carbon dioxide. They both tend to fly toward their attractant until they meet with a barrier such as a screen, at which point they proceed laterally across the barrier in search of a breach. They proceed usually in a roughly straight line and usually upward (especially in the case of June bugs). They are extremely good at executing this function as they've been evolving it for about 400 million years.

The problem with trying to fit a Sprinter screen is that bugs will proceed all the way to the edge and then will reliably exploit the smallest gap that they find there. They proceed all the way to the edge because, with most products, the screen extends all the way to the edge. So what I did instead was take my no-see-um netting and sew an 8-inch opaque nylon border around all four sides. What I'm hoping is that they will hit the screen and proceed only to what they THINK is the edge - the opaque seam. And then they will hopefully confine their breach-search efforts just to the interior square of netting.

If that proves to be the case, I will have the freedom to be much less precise about my top, bottom, and side seals, which represent the impossibility where labor is concerned. My original anticipated workaround for this challenge was to use flexible magnetic strips to attach the screen to the door frame, thus making a good seal at all points without having to attach anything permanently. However, the magnetic strip products I've found in the consumer market are not strong enough. I think I have to use neodymium magnet dots, which means discontinuous seals. Which might not matter much if the winged crowd is tricked into confining their collective obsession to the interior screen square.

I hope to test this prototype within the next several weeks. I already know it will be better than the unbordered screen piece I had been using previously (which was almost useless). I just don't know yet if it will be good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0114.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	246772  
Old 08-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very clever, IB.

Let us know how it works, as others may want to purchase these from you.

Maggie
Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Revisiting this issue - here is another angle that wasn't explicitly discussed when the thread was hatched.

If your primary objective is ventilation rather than views, it might be worth skipping a sliding door screen altogether, and just going with cab window plus rear door screens. I have noticed that, much of the time, I get the best ventilation when I open the very front and the very back of the Interstate - it makes for a nice little wind tunnel. Slider not so much.

Sprinter cab window screens are available commercially for fifty bucks a pair - AND they are no-see-um screens to boot (not just mosquito). So there's potentially half an AI owner's entire bug problem solved for very little money. That would just leave the rear screen which is an easier fit than the side slider for which, correct me if I'm wrong, we still have not identified a commercial no-see-um screen source anyway.

I actually made a cab window screen out of no-see-um netting this past weekend, and here's a pic. In the blog post I discuss the DIY steps and also the commercial seller.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: NO-SEE-UM FRONT WINDOW SCREEN FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151111_NOSEEUM_PASSENG.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	251945  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I have Screenz for the 2 cab windows. They're the kind that fit over the frame of the door, like a pillow case. Only had to use them 10 times, at most, last summer on our cross-countries trip. They worked great. Not sure about the no-see-ums though, as I'm not sure that we ran into any of those. But they were great for keeping the regular old skeeters out.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Just one more opinion, if you don't mind.

Our new AS Ext 9 pass has the screen option.

We're not particularly fond of the mid-cabin screen and had it removed. We live in the mountains with few flying pests in Jackson Hole, Scottsdale, or Bend, Oregon.

The screen unit functions admirably, and seems really practical for those who deal with mosquitos etc. on the negative side it also reduces the "open" feeling upon entry (mid-cabin).

Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Question

Its that time of year and I am pondering this again. Are there any new options for screen doors out there?

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
We use our screen constantly and can not imagine being without it. We be in BUG country
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Anyone think about something like this design?
https://youtu.be/QtyLJ0vGYfA?t=345

Or what about this concept?
http://www.asseenontv.com/magic-mesh...l.php?p=346828
itsmeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Also this

itsmeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeok View Post
In discussion with Advanced RV, they have discontinued installing screen doors on RV's other than their coaches. After talking to a few other retrofitters, they too have discontinued screen door installs. The common reason quoted by all of them was that they just could not find a quality door to install that they could warranty.
We have the screens that the Sprinter Store sells installed on our coach. The rear screen installs smoothly, unlike the side door screen. I had to employ my upholstery shop to do some tweeking to get it to fit. Just by the nature of the design of the side door screen, it does not lend itself to a lot of traffic. The zipper is a big inconvenience. We generally use the front door to enter and egress the coach with the screen is deployed. I will say it works nicely and keeps the bugs out but the EXT. coach screen door system is MUCH more user friendly.

Road Jager
Old 10-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I also have the Sprinter Store zipper side door screen. Agree - it was very difficult to install. I find it effective for limited use in warm areas with lots of bugs.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I made a bug screen that slides onto the roof gutter when parked with sliding door open.
The fore and aft edges have magnets sewn into the leading edges with an off center opening that has longer 2 inch magnets to close the ingress and egress through that opening. Used plastic and rubber shower edge piece to hang the screen from.on the roof gutter. Have not found it necessary to attach the bottom, as it hangs down below my running boards. "Very expensive solution ($20.00 to $30.00 complete). It really does work well.. SORRY still don't know how to attach photos to these quick replies. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
SORRY still don't know how to attach photos to these quick replies. AEW
Click on "Go Advanced" next to "Submit Reply" and then click on "Manage Attachments" and then you can upload pics from your computer and/or anything that's attached to it. Just go to "Browse".

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
I made a bug screen that slides onto the roof gutter when parked with sliding door open.
The fore and aft edges have magnets sewn into the leading edges with an off center opening that has longer 2 inch magnets to close the ingress and egress through that opening. Used plastic and rubber shower edge piece to hang the screen from.on the roof gutter. Have not found it necessary to attach the bottom, as it hangs down below my running boards. "Very expensive solution ($20.00 to $30.00 complete). It really does work well.. SORRY still don't know how to attach photos to these quick replies. AEW
We're not all as clever and handy as some here , but I bought one of those removable patio screen doors on a tension rod for about $25, and it has worked very well for high-bug times.

It has a couple of magnetic clasps in the center opening, to keep it closed, and rolls into a neat and small bundle to store under one of the rear benches.

Simple, easy, and effective...I like.

Maggie
Old 10-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Thank you Shark, I will try when I have time.

Maggie---that's what I used for the screen portion, but wanted it on the OUTSIDE of the sliding door. Thanks to Jan's sewing skills, we embedded the magnets and the rod (a shower door sealer made of plastic and vinyl) in the folded over screen material. I forgot to show it to you on our Wyoming Adventure. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Thought I'd add this just as food for thought... this is the coolest side window screen I've seen on the market, but I think RB makes them only for 07+ Sprinters. At any rate, I haven't been able to actually find the product on their website. This pic was on Instagram. Another Insta user also noted an inability to find a webpage for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rb.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	274647  
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #59
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Thought I'd add this just as food for thought... this is the coolest side window screen I've seen on the market, but I think RB makes them only for 07+ Sprinters. At any rate, I haven't been able to actually find the product on their website. This pic was on Instagram. Another Insta user also noted an inability to find a webpage for it.
I bought mine at Eurocampers.com
Old 04-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I finally got my version 2.0 rear door screen completed. This is a half-width version instead of my original full-width prototype, for reasons I explain in the blog post, which contains fabrication instructions:

CUSTOM REAR DOOR SCREEN FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

Yes, the screen is actually in place in this photo below. It's difficult to see, as it should be.