Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Thanks Maggie . Things are getting easier as we become more familiar with the RV. By the way I found the solar monitor. Right where it should be with all the other monitors. Duh
Gloria

Old 06-05-2015, 05:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
sorry Gloria. I looked back at my post and realize that referring to "simple remedies" was misleading. Basically, it's my wife's skinnier arm. I think it's a pain, but she says no problem.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
For what its worth, we just ordered a 2016 Interstate EXT for July 17 delivery, and we deliberately opted out of the screen door option. We had it in the purchase order until my wife noticed that when all doors are closed, the screen blocks 50% of the window on that side, even when pushed open/in as far as it will go. If you are not traveling with people in the captains chairs regularly/or for long distances, you may not care. If it was just the two of us we definitely would have gotten it. But with our two kids, not only does it make in/out a bit more difficult, it also blocks the view of that passenger, which was enough of an issue for us to not get it. Your mileage may vary of course...
Old 06-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It also appears from watching the Colonial video that the fixed portion of the screen would make it difficult to close the curtain on the slider.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
It also appears from watching the Colonial video that the fixed portion of the screen would make it difficult to close the curtain on the slider.
This is where the new automatic blinds on the 2016s would come in handy. But I'll just bet the 2016s have blinds on every window EXCEPT that one!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
By the way, I got a call back from colonial about my chairs (last week I called to get my captains chairs fixed and screens added. They had to check with Airstream about the warranty on the chairs. This is when they quoted me the 3k for the screens) Anyway, when they called back to confirm that they can fix my chairs, they said that now they won't even do the screen install... So that is no longer an option
Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
Anyway, when they called back to confirm that they can fix my chairs, they said that now they won't even do the screen install... So that is no longer an option
Probably don't want to deal w/ the inherent problems that have been reported here.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
No, I don't need the hassle. I'm going to wait until something better comes out that fits my AI.

-----
Airstream Interstate Facebook group
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1399633380341777
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I installed the screen from the Sprinter Store last weekend. It took some time and patience but its done. I will see how well it works later this month when we actually go somewhere. I would prefer a slider, opposed to a zipper closure, but I couldnt figure out how to modify a house screen to work.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
No, I don't need the hassle. I'm going to wait until something better comes out that fits my AI.

-----
Airstream Interstate Facebook group
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1399633380341777
And, you know......one screen or the other tremendously increases air flow and ventilation inside your Interstate.

The rear, Velcro-attached scree , or a tension pole patio screen at the side door would greatly increase quality of life.

Maggie
Old 06-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I installed the sliding door screen from the Sprinter Store in my 2014.5 this past week and I wanted to report back on how I liked it. The install was a bit more difficult than the back, but only took me about 45 minutes to get it done. The trick was to remove the door stop at the bottom to let the sliding door open fully. After that, I used spring clamps to hold the screen in place while I installed it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but got it just right after 45 minutes.

I was a bit nervous about buying it thinking it would be frustrating to zip up and down each time I get in or out the Sprinter. I found, however, that I can leave it unzipped on the side, it still worked well, and made it easy to get in and out.

I absolutely love the screens I bought. I think the newer Interstate screen solution is a bit more elegant, but this is a close second. I can open the doors and the whole van is much more open. I get a lot more air and get to enjoy the outdoors a lot more if I'm working inside. I ended up leaving the door stop off. I really like having the side door open all of the way especially with the screen in place.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Pics please...
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #27
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Just ventured into demon territory and checked out what the Roadtrek folks are talking about regarding sprinter screen door options. From a discussion last year:

"After a recent trip to the beautiful but skeeter-infested shores of Lake Superior in the U.P. of Michigan I started investigating screens for the slider opening for my 2013 E-Trek. After some measuring I took a leap and ordered a Bug Off 60" x 80" screen system ("reversible" version, so that the entry/exit cut is off center). It's hung from a tension rod and fits the opening nearly perfectly. Magnets for closure and Velcro for attachment on sides. Found one for $45 via google search. About $20 more on Amazon. Works great! Only down side is that the slider can't be fully closed and latched when it is installed. Easy on, easy off. Simple solution relative to an expensive custom installation."

The same person remarked again later in the forum how well the system continued to work for his Sprinter E-Trek. The E-Trek is built on the 3500 chassis and the interior configuration (4 captain chairs) looks close to my 2013 AI lounge. Anyone had any experience with this Bug Off system? $66 prime on Amazon (60x80 reversible). Put one in my shopping cart. Looks like a simple slider solution. Heading to Glacier NP in a little over a week. Could use this maybe.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
I bought the Sprinter store model and never could get it installed. I gave up and have a $200 screen if anyone wants it.

Let us know how this one works, please, if you end up buying one.