Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Question Adding Screen Doors to a 2014.5 Interstate... yes or no?

After seeing those lovely screen doors on the 2016 AI Ext., I made an inquiry at my dealership to get them installed... The service guy said it would be a whopping $3k for fit my 2014.5 because the retrofit will take extensive work... I know the grand tour had a different layout and the doors would not fit but I thought the new 2016 Ext doors might work on my 2014.5 Ext... oh well. I'll have to think about it a bit more because that is very pricey.

He directed me to this website but I am not confident that the sloppy fitting screens will be effective. Do any of you have these? Do they work well?

Sprinter Screens

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a Bug Screen that attaches with Velcro to the rear opening, has a zipper up the center, and I'm very pleased with it. About $300, perhaps 6 years ago.

I have a patio door screen on a tension pole that works very well for the sliding cargo door. About $25 online.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
Wow! I'm surprised as the cost for retrofit. We bought our 2015 Grand Tour last October, just after the screens were introduced as an option. The dealer agreed to "throw them into the deal", but we had to wait a few months for them to arrive from Jackson Center. Once installed we would not dream of doing without them, especially with the warm months coming up and not wanting to have to swing that big slider each time we enter and leave the coach. The fit and finish of the installation was outstanding, especially considering that they were installed by dealer service techs who were getting their first look at the product.
WBCCI Member #5506
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
interesting, as I just took delivery of my 2011 Interstate and was trying to find out who and where to discuss such options...the screens make such great sense. Maggie - did you buy "off the shelf" and retrofit them yourself?
Old 05-30-2015, 03:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Bug Screen for the rear doors was ordered online, per model year of the Sprinter chassis.

I don't know if that company is still in business, but I think I have read here that the Sprinter store has the same thing.

Ours is very good quality. You put the Velcro tape up around the back opening, then attach the screen when you want it. Great for beaches.

The screen we bought for the side door we ordered online. They are sold by length of opening, go up on a tension pole. The pole is dark, screen is dark, blends in nicely.

They work fine, if a bit less visually appealing and inconvenient. $25

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I also have a 2014.5. I asked my dealer to order the screen doors for me and Airstream said they prohibited dealers from installing them on anything but the Grand Tours or newer 2016 Interstates. I asked for more details, but they said that Airstream won't let them do it and won't sell them to me. So I went for the same screens you've pointed out from SprinterStore. I installed the back screen first. When I first got it, I thought it was kind of expensive for the quality. Once it was installed, however, it looked great. It's a clean install and is wonderful to open the back doors and get a breeze. I liked it so much, I ordered the side one and plan to install today. My worry about the side/sliding door screen is how hard it would be to open and close if I go in and out. I'll have to report on that. I decided that it was worth it because most of the time it would be rolled back and not be in the way.

I really like the screens on the newer Interstates. It's one of the reasons why I'd consider upgrading to a Grand Tour. So, if my dealer could do it for $3K, I personally would go for it.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Personally, I like the soft nature of the Bug Screen and patio screen cobble-up we did. They both store nicely under a rear bench.

I would be concerned about the frame-up of the screen doors they are putting on, and if they would bend out of shape/become problematic.

There have been some comments here about the screen doors having problems, but can't remember if those were on Interstates or some other Sprinter based Class B.

I guess if I'm content with what I have, that's all that really matters.

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Tega Cay , South Carolina
We are on the road and are very unhappy with our screen door on our model 2015 sprinter. We have had it repaired twice as the screen pops out of the frame and it is constantly coming off the track. I now carry a screw driver to push the screen back in place and to get the frame back on the track. The back screen works perfectly, but I can't open the little side windows as there is a gap between the screens and the windows.
Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad you're on the road, gghayes, and hope you're having a great time.

Maggie
Old 05-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
We have had our new Grand Tour out 3 long weekends since getting it a month and a half ago. I can't imagine 2 things:
1) not having the screens
2) paying $3K for a retrofit

The side door is like every other sliding patio door I've ever had. Comes off the track easily, and overall fragile and aggravating. We had to have the dealer replace a bottom track wheel, which has broken; and the "set screws" which raise/lower the wheels ... the top screws keep dropping out from road vibration (other forum posters have given me suggestions for that).

Plus ... you really have to remind yourself that you can NOT close the side door with screen door closed. It's natural to want to do so, but it will wreck the screen door. So you can't do it.

Finally, it makes the side door curtains hard to close at night, although there are simple remedies for that.

The back screen is very nice, but it works by a remote control, and when down, prevents rear access to that storage space behind the lounge. At least one of the workarounds sounds like it would give better access to that back, since it has a zip-up the middle.

Net, I love the functionality; would never spend $3K; and would definitely explore some of the ad hoc solutions instead.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This site has the same screens as the Sprinter store, slighhtly less expensive.

I believe these are made one at a time, not factory or mass produced, which is probably why the cost.

Order Skreenz

Maggie
Old 06-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Sprinter store rear screens are good.
Side screens terrible.
They also have a bad return policy (30% restocking charge) and aren't very friendly,
I complained and they said they will give me full credit. We'll see.
I bought 2 magnet screens for 30 bucks each.
I'm having a friend sew together.
It's going to be great.
Plus easy to take off and no material framing on 100% of the time.
I'll put pics up next week.
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper1 View Post
Sprinter store rear screens are good.
Side screens terrible.
They also have a bad return policy (30% restocking charge) and aren't very friendly,
I complained and they said they will give me full credit. We'll see.
I bought 2 magnet screens for 30 bucks each.
I'm having a friend sew together.
It's going to be great.
Plus easy to take off and no material framing on 100% of the time.
I'll put pics up next week.
I wouldn't call the Sprinter Store side door screens terrible. They are just REAL difficult to install. Mine took hours of frustration to get installed correctly. We do use ours a lot during our summer travels in bug country. If you have them you do need to remove the large door bumpers if you want to close the slider with screen closed. Otherwise the bumpers will rip the screens when closing the door. I found out the hard way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slider Screen Door.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	240023  
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Marks 71, I was interested in your post that said there is an easy fix for the side door curtains. I struggle with them and am glad my arm fits into the small space. Could you please share your easy fix. By the way, we are on day 7 of our trip and the side screen door suddenly decided to behave and is working just like it should.
Gloria
Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Maggie . Things are getting easier as we become more familiar with the RV. By the way I found the solar monitor. Right where it should be with all the other monitors. Duh
Gloria
Old 06-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
sorry Gloria. I looked back at my post and realize that referring to "simple remedies" was misleading. Basically, it's my wife's skinnier arm. I think it's a pain, but she says no problem.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
For what its worth, we just ordered a 2016 Interstate EXT for July 17 delivery, and we deliberately opted out of the screen door option. We had it in the purchase order until my wife noticed that when all doors are closed, the screen blocks 50% of the window on that side, even when pushed open/in as far as it will go. If you are not traveling with people in the captains chairs regularly/or for long distances, you may not care. If it was just the two of us we definitely would have gotten it. But with our two kids, not only does it make in/out a bit more difficult, it also blocks the view of that passenger, which was enough of an issue for us to not get it. Your mileage may vary of course...
jtrichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It also appears from watching the Colonial video that the fixed portion of the screen would make it difficult to close the curtain on the slider.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
It also appears from watching the Colonial video that the fixed portion of the screen would make it difficult to close the curtain on the slider.
This is where the new automatic blinds on the 2016s would come in handy. But I'll just bet the 2016s have blinds on every window EXCEPT that one!
Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Great Falls , Virginia
By the way, I got a call back from colonial about my chairs (last week I called to get my captains chairs fixed and screens added. They had to check with Airstream about the warranty on the chairs. This is when they quoted me the 3k for the screens) Anyway, when they called back to confirm that they can fix my chairs, they said that now they won't even do the screen install... So that is no longer an option

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote