Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #57
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I want to keep it simple ... I will use all the same type of batteries when I add/replace for the upgrade...
I don't blame you. That's the way I would go in your shoes.

However, I am reluctant to tell people "No, you can't." I'd rather tell them, "No, you shouldn't. But if you want to go ahead and do it anyway, here's what I think you should keep in mind…" And then they can make their own, more informed, decision about whether to go ahead.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Regarding a 6 volt bank and a 12 volt bank in the same set-up, I think there are inverter chargers that will monitor and charge two or more separate battery banks, each according to its needs. I haven't looked into that option for now. I want to monitor boondocking performance with the planned 4 X 6 volt set-up and avoid the expense and hassle of replacing the Magnum for a least a while.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #59
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you go to a battery system with 4 T-105's in it, you will want a 100A converter/charger to match them. They "enjoy" being charged at that sort of rate for best performance.

If this is a re-wire job and you are in the "thinking" stage - consider a 24V system instead of a 12V one. Put the T-105's all in series. The cables will be smaller. The 24V inverters and converter / chargers will be more efficient. Boats run 24V so LED lighting and appliances are all available at 24V. So are solar gizmos.

Maybe keep one group 24 to run the brakes and the propane detector. Trailer brake lights and turn signals are all run off the TV power so they really don't matter in this case. Charging a 4 x T-105 bank off of the TV is sort of silly so it also is not a big drawback.

Bob
Old 10-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you go to a battery system with 4 T-105's in it, you will want a 100A converter/charger to match them. They "enjoy" being charged at that sort of rate for best performance.

If this is a re-wire job and you are in the "thinking" stage - consider a 24V system instead of a 12V one. Put the T-105's all in series. The cables will be smaller. The 24V inverters and converter / chargers will be more efficient. Boats run 24V so LED lighting and appliances are all available at 24V. So are solar gizmos.

Maybe keep one group 24 to run the brakes and the propane detector. Trailer brake lights and turn signals are all run off the TV power so they really don't matter in this case. Charging a 4 x T-105 bank off of the TV is sort of silly so it also is not a big drawback.

Bob

With all due respect Bob, your comments are not right for owners of an Interstate B-van in the sub- forum it was posted. Your comments only apply to an Airstream trailer.

T-105 are flooded lead-acid batteries that just don't work in an Interstate with our special access and venting.

While going to a 24V system has advantages it also requires more than switching out a few LED light bulbs. You would also need a 24-12V DC converter to handle all the 12V systems in the Interstate.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #61
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
With all due respect Bob, your comments are not right for owners of an Interstate B-van in the sub- forum it was posted. Your comments only apply to an Airstream trailer.

T-105 are flooded lead-acid batteries that just don't work in an Interstate with our special access and venting.

While going to a 24V system has advantages it also requires more than switching out a few LED light bulbs. You would also need a 24-12V DC converter to handle all the 12V systems in the Interstate.
Hi

.... except that it was in reply to an Interstate owner who commented about putting 6V batteries into their MH. There is no advantage to 6V batteries if you go with something other than T-105's.

Bob
Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #62

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
There is no advantage to 6V batteries if you go with something other than T-105's.
Why?

Lifeline makes some excellent 6v AGM batteries, and using two of them in series gives the Interstate owner a nominal capacity of 230 amp-hours vs. 160 amp-hours with two Group 24 12v batteries in parallel (though of course one can still only use half of that). And as an added plus, the Lifeline 6v batteries are almost exactly the same size as the Group 24 batteries they would replace, except for being an inch taller and a little heavier.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #63
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Why?

Lifeline makes some excellent 6v AGM batteries, and using two of them in series gives the Interstate owner a nominal capacity of 230 amp-hours vs. 160 amp-hours with two Group 24 12v batteries in parallel (though of course one can still only use half of that). And as an added plus, the Lifeline 6v batteries are almost exactly the same size as the Group 24 batteries they would replace, except for being an inch taller and a little heavier.
Hi

Lifeline also make 12V AGM batteries that have the same sort of net capacity. The advantage of the T-105's is that they give a bit more capacity for a bit less money. If you don't get more bang for the buck, why rewire everything?

Bob
Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #64

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
The advantage of the T-105's is that they give a bit more capacity for a bit less money. If you don't get more bang for the buck, why rewire everything?
An extra 5 amp-hours more than the Lifelines, of which you can actually use 2½ amp-hours. But the Trojans are also 2 inches taller than the Lifeline GPL-4CT (which in turn are an inch taller than the Group 24s they would replace) and so 3-inch-taller Trojan T-105s may not fit the Interstate's battery compartment that was sized for Group 24s. AND the house batteries in an Interstate aren't necessarily readily accessible to check fluid levels except on some twin-bed models.

But you are right about one thing. Going with T-105s in an Interstate could give you a lot more bang for the buck. Hydrogen out-gassing from wet-cell batteries into the passenger compartment of a Class B motorhome could give you a lot of BANG!

There hasn't been an Interstate made yet that could safely use wet-cell house batteries. The batteries are either located inside the van where out-gassing is a potential issue, or on some recent models underneath the van— sitting on their sides to reduce the height and maintain ground clearance, not upright. Wet cells don't work sitting on their sides.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Good info Protag!
Old 10-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks Protagonist - for filling in the details.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
There hasn't been an Interstate made yet that could safely use wet-cell house batteries. The batteries are either located inside the van where out-gassing is a potential issue, or on some recent models underneath the van— sitting on their sides to reduce the height and maintain ground clearance, not upright. Wet cells don't work sitting on their sides.
I don't know how the later models are setup but the vertical battery box that I have is vented from the bottom and through a vent tube that runs to the outside above the electrical outlet on the rear passenger side. That vent is how I discovered, by smell, that the original Tripplite was boiling the first set of batteries because I thought I could leave it plugged in 24/7. Since there is also a gasket on the lid, I considered T105's but in the end went with two stacked 6CT's along with the Magnum & cable upgrade.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #68

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
I don't know how the later models are setup but the vertical battery box that I have is vented from the bottom and through a vent tube that runs to the outside above the electrical outlet on the rear passenger side. That vent is how I discovered, by smell, that the original Tripplite was boiling the first set of batteries because I thought I could leave it plugged in 24/7. Since there is also a gasket on the lid, I considered T105's but in the end went with two stacked 6CT's along with the Magnum & cable upgrade.
My Interstate also has the stacked battery box under the sofa.

Yes, the box is vented. But the stacked batteries also akes it impractical to use wet-cell batteries. Checking either battery requires at least partially disassembling the sofa. Checking the bottom battery requires lifting out the top battery, which requires disconnecting the top battery as well. Not an exercise that I would recommend for checking electrolyte levels in wet-cell batteries.

So even though I didn't include that particular battery configuration in my previous description, I stand by my assertion that no Interstate can safely use wet-cell house batteries.

And by the way, that battery box isn't tall enough for stacked T-105s anyway. The GPL-4CT's just barely fit, and the T-105s as previously stated are each 2 inches taller than a Lifeline GPL-4CT.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
And by the way, that battery box isn't tall enough for stacked T-105s anyway. The GPL-4CT's just barely fit, and the T-105s as previously stated are each 2 inches taller than a Lifeline GPL-4CT.
Perhaps the box was changed after 2009, (mine extends through the floor and is about 28" deep inside), and barely fit two 6CT's.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
I don't know how the later models are setup
Protagonist touched on this already and he's 100% correct: On the newer Interstates, the house batteries are under the coach in a tray that requires the batteries to lay on their side (the short side). This is not compatible with wet cell batteries like the T-105.