Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Adding 110 volt and 12 volt outlets

Added 110 volt and 12 volt outlet up front near counter height. The 110 volt is added to the existing 110 GFI circuit breaker in the electrical panel and operates only on shore/generator power. The outlet is a Hubbell 24PK87, cost about $29 each, with 2 USB charging ports. I used the Hubbell as it has ample USB power for iPhone type devices. The 12 volt is one of 3 I added and they are all on the same 10 amp fuse which I added into the 12 volt side of the electrical panel to one of the spare fuses. Since there is no “depth” in the wall cavity here due to horizontal Mercedes supports we somewhat surface mounted it. Part of the Airstream wall covering and paneling was cut away so the surface box does not protrude too far. At a later date when I can acquire either matching “suede” or laminate it will probably be covered.

We added 12 volt and 110 volt outlets mounted on the driver side forward of the rear couch. The 110 volt is on the inverter feed and we connected to the GFI which is just behind the driver seat. This outlet too is a Hubbell with 2 USB charging ports.

In the rear we added an outlet also tied to the inverter outlet circuit and a 12 volt power source via a quick-connect cable in case I want/need to remove the new rear-bulkhead. This 110 volt outlet allows me to power via an extension cord my CPAP machine which will be located on the forward side of the new bulkhead. All 110 volt wiring was done with 12 gauge wire just like Airstream uses therefore all outlets have a capability of 20 amp appliance, not that we have power for more than 1.5 devices drawing 20 amps on a 30 amp shore cord.

LED strip lights in rear area. 2 sets of 1977W from Amazon cost of $25/set. Didn’t use the 115 volt power supply but wired them into a switch and 12 volts from the camper batteries via a fused circuit added into the fuse panel for the 3 12volt outlets. The strip lights come with small plastic clips which are nice but too easily dislodged if you bump them so I installed 5--3/8” white plastic straps for each set of 2 strip lights. I believe the current draw I saw was like 0.7 amp for each set of 2. And they are only used at night to see in the back area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AddedElectricFrontOutlet.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	205309   Click image for larger version

Name:	OutletAddedDriverSide_RearArea.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	205310  

Click image for larger version

Name:	OutletAddedDriverSideAft.jpg