Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Newport Beach , California
Wow, that is an impressive undertaking to improve the camera quality and viewing angles. Do I dare ask how you ran the cables all the way up to the fusion?

I noticed the feature with the Fusion headset to add a camera feed. Has anyone attempted to split the camera feed with the back-up monitor and get it to display on the fusion as well, as a much smaller task than what Alex took on? I drive a tesla and I'm so used looking on the main display for back-up camera vs. using an actual rear view mirror. Its not a big deal, I put the airstream in reverse, stare at the fusion headset, and when no camera view displays I remember to look up, like the "old days".
AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGT View Post
Wow, that is an impressive undertaking to improve the camera quality and viewing angles. Do I dare ask how you ran the cables all the way up to the fusion?

I noticed the feature with the Fusion headset to add a camera feed. Has anyone attempted to split the camera feed with the back-up monitor and get it to display on the fusion as well, as a much smaller task than what Alex took on? I drive a tesla and I'm so used looking on the main display for back-up camera vs. using an actual rear view mirror. Its not a big deal, I put the airstream in reverse, stare at the fusion headset, and when no camera view displays I remember to look up, like the "old days".
AIRSTREAMGT - A few ways to do this. First, the power can be obtained via numerous locations close to the rear doors (i.e. MB rear light harness, MB trailer connections, AI house electricals/batts if need be, etc. The video feeds can be combined with roof cam and then split at the windshield mounted monitor. Or run a separate long video cable. Or in my case wireless transmitter. I chose wireless for ease of use & testing. I thought it may be a problem due to distance (transmitter is buried inside rear door, its panels & insulation, receiver is buried under Fusion) but it works well now, maybe with a quick flicker every now & then, no big deal. So will probably leave in place unless interference becomes an issue.

It is not hard to feed the monitor feed from the windshield monitor down to Fusion. Just split the video feed from the wiring bundle above. It is accessible by removing overhead dome light assembly. Then split either wired or wireless method. The Fusion feed is clearly labeled behind head unit. Need to remove front center console dash trim & panel. FWIW, I wont bother splitting the rooftop cam feed for 2 reasons - cam has really terrible resolution and I dont like that bird's nest view.

I do agree, having driven cars with trunk mounted cams and being so used to them with display on head unit, it's nice to see it at console unit as soon as you shift to Reverse

Pics of overhead dome light & Fusion center console dash wiring harness. Do not expect your wiring bundle to look like these. I have spent many weekends taking apart & re-doing my wiring bundles to this level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_122523.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	344348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_122456.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	344349  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #23
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Alex, any chance you kept the links to the components used? I do not want to think or research... just blindly get what you got and do the install
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Alex, any chance you kept the links to the components used? I do not want to think or research... just blindly get what you got and do the install
WACHUKO - I will send you and/or post info sometime tonight. I know it's all Amazon stuff. FYI - while the cam image is an improvement over OEM, I do not recommend this unit even mn though surprisingly I got a Sony CCD one. Why - it runs very hot, even though not on all the time, which means it wont last. Besides, I only used it for testing. I want to get a Natika one, much lower lux for night time. But the one I have is an external mount. If I can get flush mount Natika, I will order one. Otherwise, may have to breaknopen the case or do external mount.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
WACHUKO - Here links from Anazon. The Gzzsh wireless transmitter & receiver includes the flush mount cam that is a Sony CCD. Personally, I prefer the Natika. Even though I have the Sony in there now & working, I will eventually put the Natika in its place even if it means its not flush on the license plate light assembly. Sometimes, a better night vision cam is worth the compromise of external mount.

Gzzsh Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver Night Vision 170°View Angle Car Rear View Camera with Guide Line, Flush or Bracket Mounting
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Tran.../dp/B01N7F2LOR

Name:	618PiQEU9CL._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	344428

NATIKA 720P Backup/Front View Camera, IP69K Waterproof Starlight Night Vision High Definition and Super Wide Angle
https://www.amazon.com/Backup-Waterp.../dp/B078ZZSKQ2

Name:	71VkNpSMQtL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	344429
Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #26
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Excellent! Thank you Alex. Interesting... it is the same camera (Natika) that I was looking at for a forward/backward view system in my truck...

Will place the order today. Thanks again.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Excellent! Thank you Alex. Interesting... it is the same camera (Natika) that I was looking at for a forward/backward view system in my truck...

Will place the order today. Thanks again.
WACHUKO - I have had good luck with Natika. Only problem is I still can not find a flush mount Natika. That one can be used as rear, forward, side, guide lines or no guide lines depending on which wire you snip.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Comparing OEM to Aftermarket

Comparing OEM to Aftermarket

OEM Rooftop counted image below, fed into OEM windshield mounted monitor.

Aftermarket license plate light assembly flush mounted cam image below, fed into Fusion head unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190701_173050.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	345114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_173106.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	345115  

Old 09-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #29

Los Gatos , California
Hi, I just bought a 2018 AI Grand Tour, essentially brand new, with 4000 miles. The very first thing I noticed, backing out of the parking lot, is how POOR the backup camera is. I am very interested in how to hook it up to the Fusion monitor-or being able to tell a technician how to do it. Does it come on when you put it in reverse? Is it hard wired from the new camera? Other than that, I am still trying to figure out how all the other components work!
Cheers
dickrjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #30
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The cameras are on all of the time. When there is a turn signal, it switches to the appropriate mirror camera; if not, the rear camera is displayed.

The rear camera on my 2018 was pitiful when I bought the rig. The cameras on the mirrors were great. A little tweaking of the controls on the display and all three cameras are acceptable. I had to lose a bit on the mirror cameras to get a good image on the rear camera.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Bellingham , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The cameras are on all of the time. When there is a turn signal, it switches to the appropriate mirror camera; if not, the rear camera is displayed.

The rear camera on my 2018 was pitiful when I bought the rig. The cameras on the mirrors were great. A little tweaking of the controls on the display and all three cameras are acceptable. I had to lose a bit on the mirror cameras to get a good image on the rear camera.
Can you describe how/what you tweaked?
romanf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #32
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanf17 View Post
Can you describe how/what you tweaked?
Too long ago to remember. I just played with contrast, color, and brightness till I had a compromise.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote