Old 07-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
I hear ya brother. I have learned to embrace and enjoy new technology. I figured since I recently passed 60 years old I only have a short period to enjoy it?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Didn't a guy get killed recently in a Tesla auto-drive car?
Yes. The car interpreted the side of a truck trailer as the clear sky and continued to drive under the trailer and a few hundred yards past into a field. Seems the driver was watching a video and gave complete trust to the car. This as on an open highway not far from where I live.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Proves that technology can be trumped by a lack of common sense.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #18
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
http://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks...res/alpha.html

(Alpha, a piece of software running on a $35 Raspberry Pi computer in flight simulator setting, consistently "defeats" a retired expert Air Force combat instructor pilot)

Technology in general and predictive technology (AI) in particular, i.e. computational ability w/ sensors & actuators and loaded w/ predictive software (and UN-tied from (just) human senses/experience/reaction-time) isn't just "marching along" anymore, it's exponentially advancing. Personally though, I don't particularly want a car that will autonomously/safely drive *me* around, rather, I prefer a car (or a drone?) that will just go to the store and bring me back a cold six-pack all by itself, while I continue to watch the game at home . Too bad we're not there, just yet anyway; maybe by this time next year?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
The only additional cruise control feature that I'd like is to be able to maintain the same speed downhill; the AI runs away much too easily. I've noticed the C Class loaners they give me during a service all have that feature.
My 2013 Interstate on 2012 Sprinter downshifts to try to maintain speed when going downhill on cruise control. It doesn't apply the brakes. But now that you mention it if it did I would not have gotten that speeding ticket in rural Maryland while enjoying the rolling back country roads.

My kids laughed at me because I'm the old grandpa that always drives the speed limit or less. But I have the ticket to prove I don't.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
First a side note: My Prius does keep the set speed on the down hill. It sucks all that inertia back into the battery and keeps the car at the set speed.

Now my real question: Do you all use your cruise control while pulling your trailers? Some say cruise should not be used while trailering. I'm still new to towing a load, so I'm inclined to take every precaution. But it would be nice to give my foot a rest on long flat stretches.
(Is there no respect for an 8-ton GCVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Yes I do font see a reason why not.
Down hill I may turn it off by using the brake frequently.
Peter
Old 07-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
The only additional cruise control feature that I'd like is to be able to maintain the same speed downhill; the AI runs away much too easily. I've noticed the C Class loaners they give me during a service all have that feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
This is the one time that I believe the more capable cruise is problematic. Down hill it will ride the brakes which is the wrong technique. Must admit, with a set of disks on the trailer, maybe it would just not be a problem at all.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 07-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I use it sometimes, but watch for overrevving and disengage if truck is working too hard.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
This is the one time that I believe the more capable cruise is problematic. Down hill it will ride the brakes which is the wrong technique. Must admit, with a set of disks on the trailer, maybe it would just not be a problem at all.

Travel safe. Pat

The OP was asking about cruise control for his Sprinter. For towing a trailer, that's a different set of considerations!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums