Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
When the county where we lived banned the outdoor burning of trash and garbage we moved it to our indoor fireplace. Bad mistake!

It's a Health Hazard

People who burn their waste do not realize how harmful this practice is to their health and the environment. Current research indicates open burning is far more harmful to our health than previously thought. It can increase the risk of heart disease, aggravate respiratory ailments such as asthma and emphysema, cause rashes, nausea, or headaches. Open burning also produces harmful quantities of dioxins, a group of highly toxic chemicals, particulate matter, carbon monoxide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen cyanide, benzene, styrene, formaldehyde, arsenic, lead, chromium, benzo(ate), pyrene, furans and PCBs. Some of these chemicals are found in smoke from any fire. Although substances such as particulate matter, carbon monoxide and formaldehyde can cause immediate health effects with enough exposure, some chemicals such as dioxin can build up in foods and in our body. Some of these chemicals can remain in the environment for a long time and can remain on the property (for example, soil outside and dust inside our living area), where they can eventually wind up in our food and affect our health.

FYI
Carry On!
Gary
><>
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Well, here's an unexpected variation on my theme.

Several years ago, I speculatively acquired this Oscar the Grouch child's trash can (and then never used it). It's made of that scrunchy canvas which is plastic coated on the inside, intended to stand up of its own strength but can also be flattened if needed. I probably got it at Container Store, but I don't find it online right now.

The original can had a round opening, but there's a stiff wire in its rim, and I bent that into the shape of the triangle that I really want for this area.

Then I cut a lid for it out of black coroplast, which I edged in the same belt webbing that I used on my perforated aluminum table. (If I can shove a needle through it, I can sew it, no matter what material it is. I've just added coroplast to my unlikely list of "have sewns").

I took two tabs of waistband elastic and fashioned hinge tabs, putting them on one side.

A thin large EPDM rubber band holds the trash bag in place around the rim. While in use, I'd probably double-bag to guard against leaks.

There are two fabric handles on either side of Oscar's can. I hooked those over two of the largest size suction cups that I can buy at Joann Fabrics. Those things are quite strong.

This is not as large a can as I was originally wanting to create, but I'm going to try it out because I think it's cute. Black and gray are actually the two Airstream signature colors in this van, so it works in that regard.

Thirteen second video (ignore the gunfire - our storage unit is adjacent to a gun range. We refer to the entire area by its nickname Fallujah):

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Front view:

Old 06-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That look pretty good, and I like that it is soft sided.

It will be interesting to see if any weight in there becomes an issue with it staying on the wall.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Almost complete. Just needs a pop-up Oscar under the lid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar The Grouch.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	314201  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Haha, Nice Grouch. Just so you know, all the trash can talk made be buy a different trash can with lid that is tall but very slim. Did not have specific requirement as you, its just for the 4 front captain seats.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Almost complete. Just needs a pop-up Oscar under the lid.
Well of course - I had already begun looking for a suitable Oscar. I need something to put a little weight on that lid flap, pressing down on it just enough so that the flies cannot squeeze through the gap. A three-inch Oscar bean bag will do the job just fine.

The only problem is that, because these things are "collectibles", the prices are quite high for what is being sold. So I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but here is the object of my affection below.

I think the large suction cups will hold. If not, I'll work something else out.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I think the large suction cups will hold. If not, I'll work something else out.
The stretch-removable strips will support just about anything and attach well to the bathroom walls. I use them all over the AI, both to attach the items that go with them and to attach other smooth items of my choice like a plastic basket intended for screws. They don't tell you that the strips will hold other than their hooks, but they will attach to just about anything smooth. I wipe surfaces down with alcohol before attaching them.

Nice thing, they remove easily if you change your mind or something doesn't work out. You can just buy the replacement strips.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The stretch-removable strips will support just about anything and attach well to the bathroom walls. I use them all over the AI, both to attach the items that go with them and to attach other smooth items of my choice like a plastic basket intended for screws. They don't tell you that the strips will hold other than their hooks, but they will attach to just about anything smooth. I wipe surfaces down with alcohol before attaching them.

Nice thing, they remove easily if you change your mind or something doesn't work out. You can just buy the replacement strips.

Good suggestion. To date, I've never had a 3M Command strip fail. Neither have I had one leave a mark when removed, even on painted sheetrock walls.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
"Meet your new bus mate!"

In addition to Oscar, I'm also trying out a small satellite can that I found in West Marine. It's supposed to be mounted on the inner side side of a cabinet door, and so this product might be useful to some other folks who are looking for trash solutions. Space-wise, it partially compensates for the fact that I decided against installing the white behemoth I was originally considering.

Blog post here with sourcing.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Your dog certainly like it. Maybe the thought bubble over his head should read "Mmmmm, chew toy!"