Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A real trash can for the Interstate

Looking back several years, there is no good thread devoted to the trash can question that plagues so many of us, so I'm hatching a thread now.

Our 2007 T1N Interstate does not have a dedicated space for a trash can. Some of the owners of younger model years have also rendered this same complaint in the past, on other threads.

I am determined that THIS IS THE YEAR when I will finally put this shortcoming to bed. We boondock almost exclusively, so trash management is a challenge, especially when it's raining and we can't burn it in a campfire. There are times when we accumulate a lot of it.

The question is -- do I build a proper trash can from scratch, adapt some existing product to the Interstate, or what??

One constraining factor in our case: we have a 50-lb dog, and we leave her in the van at times when conditions allow us to do it safely. Any trash can we use needs to be within cabinetry OR within our wet bath or else it will end up in her jaws. And I don't want to sacrifice valuable cabinet space for it, so I'm defaulting to the wet bath.

It cost me about 20 bucks to begin experimenting with this - a 32 quart (!!) recycling center insert from the BORG (link).

IMAGINE the luxury of a can that large in an Interstate!! I pity you folks whose wet baths contain an integrated sink in this location. I would much rather have one sink (galley) and one trash can instead of two sinks separated by about five feet.

I would need to create a good way to mount it on the wet bath wall without penetrating the wall... it speaks of heavy-duty Velcro to me.

And, it would need a cover for sure. If I crafted a shower-cap-style cover for its top, I could potentially even leave it in there when operating the shower. But it would still need to be removable; my husband is a larger size than me and so he'd probably set it on top of the galley counter when he showers.

The wet bath feels like a phone booth, but it is deceptive in its capacity to accept a lot of stuff. From this rather inelegant photo collection below, you can see that, despite this can's relatively large size, it really does not impinge on the commode. There's still plenty of space.

Anyone have any ideas for adapting this? Or other ideas for building one? I'm all ears given that I haven't yet decided how to proceed here.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I envy you the extra room, but I'll still vote for two sinks. The bathroom sink is for uses that are, in my opinion, not compatible with where I wash dishes and prepare food.

We have the second row seats. I found a small, black trash can and bungeed it to the pillar behind the driver's seat. I use that second row seat quite a bit when parked and the can is not in my way at all. In fact, the flat top of the can is a convenient place to park my drink or the TV remote. Much more convenient than the built-in cup holder low on the wall.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The question is -- do I build a proper trash can from scratch, adapt some existing product to the Interstate, or what??

And I don't want to sacrifice valuable cabinet space for it, so I'm defaulting to the wet bath.

The wet bath feels like a phone booth, but it is deceptive in its capacity to accept a lot of stuff. From this rather inelegant photo collection below, you can see that, despite this can's relatively large size, it really does not impinge on the commode. There's still plenty of space.

Anyone have any ideas for adapting this? Or other ideas for building one? I'm all ears given that I haven't yet decided how to proceed here.
Ultimate Survival Technologies FlexWare Sink with 2 Handles - comes in different shapes & sizes. REI stocked both rectangular sizes that I bought. Target had the round bucket. The round ones are deeper, the rectangulars are shallower, made to be used more as a portable sink. But we still use as trash can all over, even outside the rv. Go to main website and tab to Flexware or just click link below:

http://www.ustbrands.com/product-cat...-ust/flexware/

Click image for larger version

Name:	FlexwareBucket01.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	314083

Name:	FlexWare-Bucket-2-0_01.png
Views:	91
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	314084

Name:	FlexWareSink_1-0_01.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	314085

Name:   FlexWare-Sink-2-0_01-300x300.png
Views: 443
Size:  187.0 KB

Here's how they look scaled to AI bath when I was changing faucet. 1st pic completely collapsed under sink and can still hold toiletries while driving.

Name:	20180511_184523A(600x800).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	314087

2nd pic only 50% expanded.

Name:	20180511_184052 (800x600).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	314088

Another side benefit other than takes very little space is they stack and bottoms grips any type of flooring. They are built to hold the water to the brim on whatever size you get. Impressed with it's weight carrying capacity.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I got a small round stainless trash can with lid, foot operated- (Walmart I think).
It fits right behind the passenger seat- actually toward the centre. I strap my leveling block bag (I use under my jacks when needed) and the strap holds both in place well. When blocks are in use, I move the can a bit to the center anyway- so I can swivel the passenger seat.

I’ll see if I can get a picture together.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Oval - not round.

That is a first aid kit on top of the leveling blocks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3381EBAA-6076-4F6B-8635-FA2F29FD06FE.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	503.1 KB
ID:	314090  
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Or if you really want to maximize vertical space & minimize floor footprint, use 3" or 4" PVC pipe, cap bottom and screw on cap on top. My sample here is used for my water filter storage container

Name:	20180615_144342.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	314091
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
...The bathroom sink is for uses that are, in my opinion, not compatible with where I wash dishes and prepare food.
I'm not kidding about this part --

I will forever be grateful that I spent a lot of time growing up in an environment that leaned toward PWT-type sensibilities. It's a very low-maintenance way of being, liberating in unexpected ways, and I consider it to be the wellspring of my resourcefulness and creativity.

Most of my extended family had plumbing, but some households did not. The trip back in from the outhouse necessitated the washing of hands in the kitchen sink - we all did it. Nobody died as a result. At least, not from that particular part of the demographic experience.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I grew up in the depression in Pennsylvania. For several years, we lived on the mountain and had no running water, sewer, or electricity. It was the outhouse, oil lamps, and a kerosene stove to keep us from freezing through the winter. My dad would bring home 5 gallons of water when he returned from work (when he had work).

The kitchen sink simply drained out under the house. One day, we had a black snake curled up in the sink, having crawled up the pipe. That wasn't quite as bad as the rattle snake on the path to the outhouse one night.

My grandparents never had any of those things until they retired to town when I was about 8 (1940). My grandfather ran a pipe up the mountain to a spring so that they had water in the warm months.

We survived all that, but I don't want to return to that. I prefer my two sinks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We use a plastic shopping bag hanging on the closet door next to the sink. This works well for us, especially when cooking. I just took my first shower in the AI, was better than the shower in our 25’ Flying Cloud!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
We use the canvas spring-supported trash cans with a plastic bag liner for easy disposal. They are light weight, won't rattle, and can "squeeze" to fit in tight areas. Walmart caries them for $6. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spiral-Po...h-Bin/16817420

We use two. One in the wet bath and one in the rear lounge. The one in the rear is short enough to not interfere with the reclining of the seat. We just put a roll of spare trash bags in the bottom so they are always handy. Plus, their weight holds the trash can in place, no tip-over's so far.

Fortunately, our Suite model bath is pretty roomy and the one there fits beside the toilet with room to spare. We could even put it on the other side, but it would have to squeeze slightly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8140.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	314107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8139.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	314108  

Name:	IMG_8141.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	314109  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
We still do not have a solution for this in ours...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
We survived all that, but I don't want to return to that. I prefer my two sinks.
If I were as concerned about the issue, instead of having a second sink, I'd keep a tub of disinfecting wipes in the wet bath, which I would use on my hands and then discard in my generously-sized trash can. I would then proceed to the galley sink for a finishing wash.

However, yours might be the more common preference, which is why Airstream (and multiple other manufacturers) began adding the micro-sink.

MIGHT be, because those buyers might not have considered their alternatives. If polled, I wonder what they would say if they realized that they could have a choice between the two? Triangular sink or triangular residential-sized trash can - pick one.

Trash management figures prominently in the hygiene scheme of things. One of the things I learned by boondocking in Canada is that we can **NOT** have any style of open-topped trash can. Every species of fly within a one mile radius will find it because that's what flies do - that is the sole function for which they spent millions of years evolving, is to locate trash. I've got 100x more to worry about from flies than my own unwashed hands. They land on coyote and bear and cat and dog dung, and then they land on my trash, and then they land on my galley counter. Not happening.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Personally, IB, I think this trash can is disproportionately large for your Interstate, and doesn’t conform to your highly valued ideals of space efficiency.

It is hard sided, taking up the same amount of space when empty, will be an open trash container, and will have to be mounted on the wall...then there will be weight as it fills that may become an issue.

Perhaps reconsider, just being perfectly frank.

I have loved and coveted for years the black, 2.5 gallon I think they are, trash bags, which hung from a hook on the door of a lower cabinet in the galley area.

I think Brawny makes them, they are very sturdy, inconspicuous, and can most often be found at WalMart in the home goods department where small trash cans are sold.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #14
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Personally, IB, I think this trash can is disproportionately large for your Interstate, and doesn’t conform to your highly valued ideals of space efficiency.

It is hard sided, taking up the same amount of space when empty, will be an open trash container, and will have to be mounted on the wall...then there will be weight as it fills that may become an issue.

Perhaps reconsider, just being perfectly frank.

I have loved and coveted for years the black, 2.5 gallon I think they are, trash bags, which hung from a hook on the door of a lower cabinet in the galley area.

I think Brawny makes them, they are very sturdy, inconspicuous, and can most often be found at WalMart in the home goods department where small trash cans are sold.

Maggie
Sorry...but had to laugh

Maggie, until we find an acceptable alternative that works in our Lounge, we are following what you have done for years. Our brand varies and we get them in white to try to make them less visible... but same approach.

I just found your post funny!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It was meant to be frank, also a bit tongue in cheek.

The black disappeared into my interior better than white, and the purchased bags are more predictable than grocery bags, which so often have a hole or tear that drops things such as coffee grounds on the floor.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Maggie could be right. I may deploy this thing and proceed to hate it - it wouldn't be the first time that I reversed course. That's the beauty of DIY - it'll cost me about $30 total to make that determination. And then I'll iterate and make something else, if I hate it.

But I will say one thing... for those of us who boondock with heavy use of paper plates and bowls (to conserve water with minimal dish-washing).... some of those little trash cans shown in this thread simply wouldn't work for us. 48 rainy hours with two people and those types of cans would be overflowing onto the floor.

Backs of doors and backs of cabinets and void space behind flip-down doors... I'm max'd out on those other spaces, all for good uses. Hence my focus on the wet bath.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
The pop-up receptacle might be a good option. I do similar with a pop-up laundry mesh container with a kitchen bag in it. That's only when parked for a bit. For traveling, I use Maggie's 2.5 gallon bag pierced on a 5 lb. Command hook I have above the door near the sink. Dogs can't get it and we can grab it on the way out to empty. I also have a hook for recycle bag. They come down for driving if they're not emptied yet and, of course, go in the bath. Aesthetically terrible but it works.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would bag up just the burnables, then have yourself a little campfire.

And, you know, if you want to use the wet bath, why not a garbage bag on a hook in there, of whatever size you prefer?

Preferable to something hard sided, IMO.

Maggie
Old 06-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
In late 2014 when we first bought our rig, the pop-up can was the first thing I tried. I hated it. In order to keep it out of our dog's jaws, it had to be hung high, which means that I was face-planting it frequently. And round is not necessarily the most efficient shape for the wet bath. Plus it's open-topped.

I then moved on to this device from Container Store. There are two of them, so I figured I could sort food-related trash from non-food trash. But they are small, having two of them is clutter-y, and they are open-topped. They almost drove me bonkers by inviting so many flies into the van last year.

So I'm not yet convinced I've hit an optimal solution, in other words.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Small trashcan

In trying to resolve a similar conundrum, I discovered the wall mounted SS feminine hygiene trashcans were a perfect fit in our 2007 AI. I built a shower grate to accommodate this area, which holds the can in place on the road. Perhaps you could cut one in half horizontally then extend the lid to your ideal height with some artfully welded SS sheet metal and a small amount of Velcro on the back? Got the can on the Amazonian site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-06-16-08-26-44.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	314165  
Jbray333 is offline   Reply With Quote