Warner Robins , Georgia
Thanks for this list... Bookmarked ����

2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Muncie , Indiana
Same here. The dealer told us that the best situation is when the front end had a good alignment and max pressure, as indicated on the tire, is used in the front.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You should always inflate to…
the calculated inflation based on load tables;
the vehicle owner's manual maximum; or
the tire manufacturer's maximum,
whichever is least.
Personally I'm going to run the pressure that is stated in my owner's manual (61psi) because as you state, it appears that is calculated by Airstream as the correct pressure given the max vehicle load, but if someone wants to run the max cold pressure as stated on the tires, other than loss of performance, what's the downside? Just curious as I'm new to RV ownership and it seems there's something new to learn about them every day.....
Old 09-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Personally I'm going to run the pressure that is stated in my owner's manual (61psi) because as you state, it appears that is calculated by Airstream as the correct pressure given the max vehicle load, but if someone wants to run the max cold pressure as stated on the tires, other than loss of performance, what's the downside? Just curious as I'm new to RV ownership and it seems there's something new to learn about them every day.....

The 61 psi is not from Airstream. It is from Mercedes. Running your tires at the max pressure marked on the sidewall won't hurt anything, but will give you a very rough ride.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Not anything specific to RV ownership, more related to motor vehicle ownership in general… The ideal inflation pressure for the load provides a flat contact surface with the pavement across the entire width of the tread for best traction. Under-inflation causes the edges of the tread to wear faster. Over-inflation causes the middle of the tread to wear faster.

Whatever pressure you use, every couple thousand miles or so check the tread depth at each groove in the tread. If the depth is less near the edges, you're under-inflated. If the depth is less in the middle, you're over-inflated.

As for the MB-cited 61psi, that would be the ideal inflation pressure if the van was exactly at GVWR. Since presumably you're running less than GVWR by some amount, the ideal inflation pressure for you should be slightly less. I routinely run 58psi all around with no problems.

Over-inflation and under-inflation both also have a direct effect on vehicle handling, because your ABS, BAS, ESP, ASR, EBD and the rest of the alphabet soup of braking and traction assist features all rely upon the tires being at the correct inflation. Over-inflation and under-inflation each degrade the effectiveness of these systems and put you at greater risk of loss of handling.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Knee pads. Useful for getting on the floor and fixing small water leaks, getting under the Airstream. Put a block under the bottom step to reduce wear and tear. Put highly visible orange duct tape on the hitch ball and cup for easier backing up.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale49 View Post
Knee pads. Useful for getting on the floor and fixing small water leaks, getting under the Airstream. Put a block under the bottom step to reduce wear and tear. Put highly visible orange duct tape on the hitch ball and cup for easier backing up.
I stock two of these, storing them next to the fresh water tank. One has written on it in Sharpie the word IN, and the other one says OUT (which gets much dirtier). Unlike knee pads, these can also double as a$$ gaskets when sitting directly on hard and/or frozen ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kneelpad.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	271814