Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
A Lighter Mod - Cigarette Lighter, that is

A Lighter Mod - Cigarette Lighter, that is.

I am not a smoker and have no devices that need the many cigarette lighter outlets in AI. However, we always have a need for more & more usb charging ports. On a normal basis, carrying 4 adults & 1 child, we would have these usb devices - 4 phones, 3 tablets, 2 bike HID lights, 4 personal battery packs, 1 Bose SoundLink BT speaker, 2 usb reading lights, 1 Polar HRM, 2 Fitbits, 1 TPMS, 2 Nexar dashcams. Even with the added usb chargers I have put on dash, I could use a few more. Rather than using plug-in adapters, I decided that this dash cig lighter needs to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181203_200447.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	329083   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181203_200524.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	329084  

Name:	20181203_200551.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	329085   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181203_200608.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	329086  

Name:	20181203_200625.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	329087  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Rather than using plug-in adapters, I decided that this dash cig lighter needs to go.
Alex, hard to see but i presume this a permanent install/swap? I like the readout, vdc i presume? Any details appreciated. Thanks. This looks a great swap.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Alex, hard to see but i presume this a permanent install/swap? I like the readout, vdc i presume? Any details appreciated. Thanks. This looks a great swap.

Bob
CRUISINDUX - Thank you. Yes, permanent swap. Readout is only VDC, seems accurate enough as it tracks the Firefly display. I really don't need/use it, it just happens to come with the Qualcomm 3.0 Quick Charge 3A dual usb chargers I have used throughout the van.

It is an easy mod, just pull out ashtray. 2 hidden tabs on each side rail, need skinny trim tools to unlatch. Unplug power cable from cig lighter, physically remove cig lighter from tray - this is the PITA because it is press fit, so be prepared to destroy cig lighter in process. Then cut original lighter connector or splice usb wiring into existing wiring (your choice). Be sure to use dvm to check which is Hot/Gnd wire. I would tell you, but I forgot to take that pic. I just know it isn't the standard red(+) black(-). The usb charger comes with it's own fuse, though I think it is too liberal @ 10A. I down rated it to 5A and just keep the fuse positioned such that it is easily accessible behind ashtray should it blow.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
CRUISINDUX - Thank you. Yes, permanent swap. Readout is only VDC, seems accurate enough as it tracks the Firefly display. I really don't need/use it, it just happens to come with the Qualcomm 3.0 Quick Charge 3A dual usb chargers I have used throughout the van.

It is an easy mod, just pull out ashtray. 2 hidden tabs on each side rail, need skinny trim tools to unlatch. Unplug power cable from cig lighter, physically remove cig lighter from tray - this is the PITA because it is press fit, so be prepared to destroy cig lighter in process. Then cut original lighter connector or splice usb wiring into existing wiring (your choice). Be sure to use dvm to check which is Hot/Gnd wire. I would tell you, but I forgot to take that pic. I just know it isn't the standard red(+) black(-). The usb charger comes with it's own fuse, though I think it is too liberal @ 10A. I down rated it to 5A and just keep the fuse positioned such that it is easily accessible behind ashtray should it blow.

Awesome, thanks. I'll do some searching. Good news on the destroy...a non smoker.
Bob
Old 12-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I'll do some searching. Good news on the destroy...a non smoker.
Bob
CRUIZINDUX - Ugh, forgot to say, Amazon approx. $14-17. Just be sure it says QualComm 3.0 Quick Charge dual usb. This is the hardwired round style. They have surface mount rectangular style using SAE quick connects.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DG..._1543903536612
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71h1szKNgTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	329089  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
My ashtray is will not close if there is anything odd-shaped sitting in the tray. Is this USB plug small enough to allow the ashtray to close when no USB cables are connected?

Any reason not to also (or instead) replace the lighter plug that is on the panel beneath the ashtray? I suppose one just pulls that lighter fitting out of the panel - perhaps after releasing clips on the side.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
My ashtray is will not close if there is anything odd-shaped sitting in the tray. Is this USB plug small enough to allow the ashtray to close when no USB cables are connected?

Any reason not to also (or instead) replace the lighter plug that is on the panel beneath the ashtray? I suppose one just pulls that lighter fitting out of the panel - perhaps after releasing clips on the side.
TITUS - even with usb cable, ashtray will close almost all the way, just to thickness of cable. If you use them flat cables, it will close all way in. Empty it closes all way in. I left the cig lighter in underneath panel & under driver seat just in case. Did not want to go too crazy and then at some point may need to connect to another vehicle via my cig lighter jumper cable or even a portable "something". With this one, I have a total of 10 QC 3.0 ports - 6 up front & 4 out back & 2 (hidden dedicated up overhead)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181204_075504.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	329119   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_075447.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	329120  

Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Moose Jaw , Saskatchewan
You ' The Man ' !
Popcornkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:

Bob
Ha! Bob, I assumed he just plugged in an adapter. Good thing you asked for clarification. I had not open the photos to look at the details. This was before the posts following up to the questions...

Alex,

Looks great.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcornkid View Post
You ' The Man ' !
POPCORNKID - one time after helping my son in law install his tv wall bracket, he was so stoked he said out loud in front of my wife "we da men, dad" to which my wife promptly said, "but remember I am the woman". At that, son in law & I meekly retreated to sofa, lesson learned
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Ha! Bob, I assumed he just plugged in an adapter. Good thing you asked for clarification. I had not open the photos to look at the details. This was before the posts following up to the questions...

Alex,

Looks great.
WACHUKO, CRUISINDUX - Sorry for confusion. Trying to catch up with documentation while juggling a few mods at same time. Winter time is my favorite time to live in my garage 23 hrs. a day

- pull out entire ashtray assembly from dash, use very thin trim tool to disengage all tabs on left/right rails.
- once out, use very thin trim tools to disengage 2 metal spring tabs & top locking tab on cig lighter module on ashtray-pullout-tray and pull out from entire assembly.
- pop out cig lighter module.
- carefully try to disengage 2 cig lighter press fit tabs at which point you will give up & just utterly be so frustrated you won't mind destroying the tabs to the remove the cig lighter.
- once removed, file or Dremmel out the hole about 1/8" bigger
- pop in QC 3.0 usb port
- file down 2 tabs on each side of supplied lock washer so washer lays flat on inside of module.
- connect back wiring to original cig lighter wiring harness
- reverse procedure to install back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181204_110337.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	329133   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_110409.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	329134  

Name:	20181204_110601.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	329135   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_110626.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	329136  

Name:	20181204_112012.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	329140   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_112027.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	329141  

Name:	20181204_110447.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	329142  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post

Alex,

Looks great.

wachuko & Alex, actually the questions was mainly because my quick amazon search only showed the plug in models. Thanks for the link...much faster and appreciated.

Thanks again for the post!
Bob
Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TITUS - this morning, I was routing my last wires to driver side for Fusion kill switch & Blue Sea ACR switch, started cleaning up around the dash and finally buttoning up everything (coz I think I am done with the dash at least for a long while. So I noticed these remaining 2 cig lighters we discussed earlier. The one under driver seat is 15A max, the one under the ashtray is 25A max. With this, I realized that it was definitely a good idea to leave this one intact. One can never tell when a portable unit requiring a 25A cig lighter port may be needed. I would strongly recommend leaving this as is, unless you have another 25A elsewhere. Hope this helps. FYI - cig lighter inside ashtray is rated 15A (fuse 13, ignition controlled).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181205_092826.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	329184   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_092854.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	329185  

Old 12-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Once many years ago I was at a stoplight with my window down, ....distracted. A big hairy hand came in tjrough the open window and ripped an expensive watch off my wrist, then grabbed my ears and yanked for the gold earrings.

I never smoked, but for some reason I instinctively hit the lighter with my right hand and fought long enough for it to pop out ready. Never got the watch back, but kept my earlobes and earrings intact. Perp got a permanent scar.

Now even moderately priced cars have a/c and electric windows. I still buy a lighter insert for the 12 volt outlet though. It has been handy to prevent nylon rope or cord from unraveling but never needed for anything else.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alex,
Thanks for the note of caution. This 25A socket is especially important to those of us who have the plug-in air compressor that comes with some model years. The one under the seat is too hard to get to for use as a USB connection. We use it for a plug in invertor to charge our computer when we don't want or need to use the larger Magnum invertor.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
A Lighter Mod - Cigarette Lighter, that is.

Thanks for the info and detailed instructions. Just finished installing the dual USB in the cup holder / cig lighter hole. I used a 1 1/4 deep well socket as a support to hammer the old lighter out, pops right out. Getting the tray out took 2 hours, total time 2.5 hours.

FYI the red wire on the MB lighter is positive.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Princess View Post
I used a 1 1/4 deep well socket as a support to hammer the old lighter out, pops right out. Getting the tray out took 2 hours, total time 2.5 hours.

FYI the red wire on the MB lighter is positive.
TN PRINCESS - Great to hear! Ingenious that you thought of using 1-1/4 deep well socket. That never crossed my mind. Hence my 2 hrs was spent trying to save the cig lighter tabs, which in the end still got mangled up

Thank you for confirming the red is (+) to help others in future. I just remembered the other wire was non-black (salmon or light brown).
Old 12-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Saluda , North Carolina
Replacement for the lighter/cupholder assembly

The 25A outlet on my Sprinter based coach disintegrated. Unfortunately, getting at it is a major problem: remove trim around radio to get at trim beside the radio which must be removed to get at screws holding the trim which surrounds the lighter/cupholder section which must be removed, along with the glove box and trim under steering wheel which must also be removed to get at the piece above the one with the outlet. In addition, the shifter knob and trim must be removed and the floor mats must be peeled back to get at the final screws into the floor. My original thought was to add more outlets on this circuit but the clearance near the existing outlet was inadequate and I simply replaced the outlet with a more rugged marine model.

Since I do not smoke and do not need the cup holder, I removed this whole assembly and replaced it with an aluminum plate mounted on angle brackets in the frame that holds the slide out lighter / holder assembly. On this, I mounted 3 12 volt outlets and a holder for a 3AG fuse, connecting this to the original lighter socket. The lighter is on a 15A fuse along with the radio and the glove box light. I put a 7A fuse in the holder which is adequate for my GPS and several USB devices I use regularly. Note that the typical 12V to USB converters are based on switching mode power supplies so that a dual 3A USB device will draw a bit less than 3A at full output assuming a conversion efficiency of 80% or better.
John McHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McHugh View Post
The 25A outlet on my Sprinter based coach disintegrated. Unfortunately, getting at it is a major problem: remove trim around radio to get at trim beside the radio which must be removed to get at screws holding the trim which surrounds the lighter/cupholder section which must be removed, along with the glove box and trim under steering wheel which must also be removed to get at the piece above the one with the outlet. In addition, the shifter knob and trim must be removed and the floor mats must be peeled back to get at the final screws into the floor. My original thought was to add more outlets on this circuit but the clearance near the existing outlet was inadequate and I simply replaced the outlet with a more rugged marine model.

Since I do not smoke and do not need the cup holder, I removed this whole assembly and replaced it with an aluminum plate mounted on angle brackets in the frame that holds the slide out lighter / holder assembly. On this, I mounted 3 12 volt outlets and a holder for a 3AG fuse, connecting this to the original lighter socket. The lighter is on a 15A fuse along with the radio and the glove box light. I put a 7A fuse in the holder which is adequate for my GPS and several USB devices I use regularly. Note that the typical 12V to USB converters are based on switching mode power supplies so that a dual 3A USB device will draw a bit less than 3A at full output assuming a conversion efficiency of 80% or better.
JOHNMCHUGH - Yeah, getting to that lower 25A cig lighter is a major PITA. I have done so few times (not to replace lighter but for other wiring job). There's areas on the side of the lower trim panel, driver/passenger at footwell where you have room for additional outlets, but obviously not longer a need for you since you did a excellent fix removing the ashtray/cup holder altogether. I would've done same as you, since cup holder was too far for my short arms to reach but wife wanted her cup holder which was much closer to passenger side.