Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Front Royal , Virginia
A Good Nights Sleep

Hi All,

What do you use as a mattress topper for your sofa bed and where did you get it?

Thanks
SGT DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Memory Foam from Overstock.com
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Tempura top...Costco...
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Walmart, memory foam matress topper.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Seconded... Wally World has a number of mattress toppers of various thicknesses, and can turn a "meh" sleeping surface into something quite nice.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I just use a double-bed-sized sleeping bag that I picked up at Cabela's. With my 5'11" height, I find that I don't need additional padding to handle the hills and valleys created by converting the sofa. The joint between sofa back and sofa bottom goes right at the small of my back where there's not a lot of pressure. The gap between sofa bottom and side-facing seats goes right at the backs of my knees, again where there's little pressure.

I actually find the bed in my Interstate, as is, to be every bit as comfortable as my bed at home. You guys make me wonder… do I have a crappy bed at home?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
My wife and use a pair of very thin Therm-a-Rest self-inflating air mattresses intended for backpacking.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
We use memory Foam from Overstock and a goosedown mattress cover. OOh La La - Pure Heaven!
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
We currently have a 4" (could be 3"?) memory foam queen size topper I bought at Sam's club for about $100. It's VERY comfortable, is almost perfect on length (an inch or two too long for the space but works fine) and leaves about 10 or 12" in width not covered by the mattress. I think the king would be too big. Only problem is there is no where to store it unless you bring a shop vac and suck it down in one of those huge bags, then you can squeeze it into the "closet" in our lounge model but it takes up almost the whole thing. I'm looking at getting a pair of Exped Mega Mat's (Exped Exped SIM Comfort MegaMat 10 Sleeping Pad - Free Shipping at REI.com) that together will be almost the exact same size as what I have, but will collapse down for storage much smaller and with no tools required (they do come with a hand pump for inflation that appears to be very small). I have not pulled the trigger because I'd like to try them somewhere before plunking down $450 and I've not found anyone in my area that stocks them. I'll report back if I get them.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My mattress toppers Judy and Farfel the Wonderdog. They are both rescue dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4035.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	177070  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have this, or something very similar to it, from Overstock.com.

We cut the straps off and, by day, it folds up into a large pillow cover and lays over the tool bag, Dutch oven, my crochet bag, etc., which rest between our two seats when we are traveling. Lily curls up on top. . She likes to be close. Used to have to ride in my lap, but at 50lbs she is just too big and heavy for that. Like wearing a bear rug. All year round.

We have one of those thin, all-season down comforters with a duvet cover on it, as a top cover. It is perfect, and truly seems to adapt to whatever the temperatures are. By day, it folds up tightly and goes into that little area under the bench that the hot water bypass is behind.

We don't use sheets since we got these items. So much easier to stow and less to get shifted around during the night. We wash the mattress pad and duvet cover every week. Sanitary enough.

We put our bed pillows into shams we had made out of washable, sueded black fabric. They ride on the benches during the day.

We love our bed in the Interstate. Very, very comfy.

Maggie
Attached Images