Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
landenberg , pa
a couple remaining questions about interstate

gf and I have had our 2005 AI for about 3 weeks now and have figured out most of the systems on it. however 2 quirky things remain that I cannot figure out and need help with

first when the headlights are switched on I can shutoff and remove ignition key and the van will stay running. it will run until the headlights are turned off. that cannot be right

second there does not seem to be any adjustment in the steering wheel position. mb and dodge sprinters appear to have an adjustable position steering wheel but not ours....

that's pretty much it aside from having it go into LHM due to a cracked turbo hose it has been great

thanks for the help

f
fuzzysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysb View Post
first when the headlights are switched on I can shutoff and remove ignition key and the van will stay running. it will run until the headlights are turned off. that cannot be right
You have a Good One there. The headlights and ignition system should have been installed by the chassis manufacture. Assuming no one has been under there changing thing my first suggestion would be to get a wiring diagram and have someone that can follow the diagram to figure out where the cross connection could be. I would not suggest you go to a dealer as they have little or no knowledge of electrical issues and will just replace things until they cure it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Since mine is a 2013 I can't help you much but it sure doesn't sound correct. I'd suggest going to sprinter-source.com. This is a great blog on Sprinters of all ages and kinds. I don't know if your age unit is a NCV3 or a T1N (which are the older versions of the chassis) But if you post the question to the SPRINTER TALK they'll help you I'm sure.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Must be a GM ignition switch.

Seriously, this like it could be sounds dangerous and should be taken to a dealer for diagnosis.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Mine was an older one and had no adjustment to the stearing wheel. The turbo resonator was a normal problem a lot of us went to an aluminum after market one so never to worry about it again. Do not remember about the lights and engine continuing to run, but would not surprise me. It is not just the fan running is it? Might sound like the engine is running. What does the tachometer show? If it does not show any rpm then the engine is off and it is just the cooling fan running. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
landenberg , pa
ok thanks for help. I am having some trouble figuring out how headlight switch can over ride the ignition.
oh and for future reference I can distinguish the difference between and engine running and not... lol

so did airstream buy the sprinter chassis complete and rebuild or how was it done? if the dodge sprinters had an adjustable steering column why would airstream remove it??
Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Generally speaking RV manufacturers, school bus companies, and all other manufactures of modified units buy the chassis up to and including the dashboard from the chassis manufacture. This would include all the wiring you would consider part of the chassis. You have to get a sprinter wiring diagram from Dodge as a starting point. If the POer got up under that dash and rewired things you may have a real project on your hands.

That said I have know an owner stuck that was between Airstream and Dodge when both claim the other did it. That issue involved tail lights and was a warranty claim.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Must be a GM ignition switch.

Seriously, this like it could be sounds dangerous and should be taken to a dealer for diagnosis.
Seconded. Fortunately, it being a 2005 and all, you have the option of going to a Freightliner dealer, not just an MB Sprinter dealer. Same quality of work but probably a lower price tag.

You see, when Sprinters were first introduced to the US in 2004 as commercial vans, they were sold through Freightliner. Then around 2006 or 2007 (I forget which) Chrysler Corp merged with Mercedes, and Dodge became the dealer of choice for Sprinters. (BTW, that's also when the Dodge Caravan minivans started using Mercedes engines instead of Mitsubishi engines.) When Fiat bought into Chrysler, the Sprinter marque reverted back to Mercedes.

Airstream buys a complete cargo van, and does all of their conversion inside. Because they buy a cargo van with no side windows, they can install those CR Lawrence aftermarket RV windows. They also cut openings for all of the other exterior RV fittings. Other than that, everything is installed inside the original body, just like building a ship in a bottle— except it's building an RV in a van. That's one reason why a Class B usually costs more than a Class C on the same chassis; building everything inside the original body is more labor-intensive than building a living compartment separately and bolting it onto a bare chassis.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2013 Interstate Coach
Grand Rapids , Michigan
You are luckier than you know.

Since you are in PA, (heck, even if your are not) go to Sprinter Source and look around. Ask these questions on the T1N section.

Figure out who Dr A is and take that little beauty to him if the gurus on the forum can't help you solve the problem.

Hope that didn't sound too pushy. You will be glad you did.
fonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
gf and I have had our 2005 AI for about 3 weeks now and have figured out most of the systems on it. however 2 quirky things remain that I cannot figure out and need help with

second there does not seem to be any adjustment in the steering wheel position. mb and dodge sprinters appear to have an adjustable position steering wheel but not ours....

that's pretty much it aside from having it go into LHM due to a cracked turbo hose it has been great

thanks for the help

f
Our 06 does not have an adjustable steering wheel.

We have taken ours to the local Peterbilt folks for routine service and maintenance from day one.

They can handle most things, do a great job and are much less expensive than a dealership.

Maggie
Old 06-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
landenberg , pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonman View Post
You are luckier than you know.

Since you are in PA, (heck, even if your are not) go to Sprinter Source and look around. Ask these questions on the T1N section.

Figure out who Dr A is and take that little beauty to him if the gurus on the forum can't help you solve the problem.

Hope that didn't sound too pushy. You will be glad you did.
no not pushy thank s but i searched for dr A and came up with no one
Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The Doktor A Sprinter Hotline is 412-366-6165

he occasionally post on the Sprinter_source forum under handle "abittenbinder". He

The Doktor A Sprinter Hotline is 412-366-6165.

Copied Dr. A's Invitation/Message from Yahoo Sprintervan Group:

"Here at the home based Shop and Global Sprinter Research Center I average about a half dozen, from far far away, Sprinter visitors per month. Some have become "regulars" who stop by several times a year. All become friends.

The family and I really enjoy meeting this diverse group of owners, all joined by the common thread of enthusiastic, sometimes fanatical, pride in Sprinter ownership. And it goes without saying we really enjoy meeting their Sprinters as
well.

Many 'first timers' are pleasantly surprised by how informal, enjoyable and
educational a visit to Doktor A's can be.

So it is especially for you first timers that I am pleased to extend an
invitation to a summer/fall long, SPRINTER SERVICE OPEN HOUSE at Doktor A's.

The home based Sprinter works is located in Western Pennsylvania (north of Pittsburgh), just south of the junction of I-79(a north-south Interstate) and the Pa. Turnpike(also known as I-76, an East-West highway). About 1/2 way between and not too far from I-70 and I-80.

Whether your passing through and need a simple but vitally important
diagnostic trouble code history work-up and documentation- or serious Sprinter related surgery by Doktor A- just call ahead and let me know when you're planning to be in the area and what your specific service needs are.

The Doktor A Sprinter Hotline is 412-366-6165.

Sprinter campers can enjoy complementary overnight(s) electrical hook-up while we work and chat. Owners are welcome to participate and learn. Service training while working is my specialty. Or just relax under the cool shade trees while your Sprinter receives the service it deserves by a European trained Doktor.

Non Sprinter campers can be accommodated in a variety of affordable ways if an extended stay is necessary.

We look forward to making many new Sprinter friends. Andy (Andreas) and
family."
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
landenberg , pa
just to save anyone else the trouble, it turns out there was a single filament bulb in the left rear blinker position. for some reason that made the engine remain running when the ign key was removed and the headlights on. if anyone cares to send me a reason I'd love to hear it.

thx fzy