Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2017, 03:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
5 amp furnace breaker

Furnace had been running fine and I turned the thermostat down so it it would shut off. I heard a distinct metallic click from the furnace area after it stopped running. I didn't think much about it until after taking the dog out and getting in and out several times. It time for more heat, thermostat display would not come on. I tried a thermostat and still nothing, check 15 amp furnace circuit in fuse panel, OK
After a little research I found the attached page someone had posted earlier. It is 2017 but the 2016 is the same. My question is has anyone taken their furnace out to access this 5 amp breaker that is attached to the furnace housing. The only thing you can reach is the
High Limit switch that tested good and was not tripped. Apparently the thermostat gets power from the furnace circuit and effects A/C operation also.
There is only a gas connection and two screws holding the furnace in. I dread trying to line up the intake and exhaust when putting it back in. If that does not work it means removing the outside plate and tubes to reinstall it. Again has anyone had to do this ? Is it just a pain or is it a nightmare ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Interstate 2017 troubleshooting.pdf (1.46 MB, 77 views)
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Is a fuse

Take off the table normally mounted to the wall beside the furnace. Behind it is an access panel. Behind the access panel is a wire with an inline fuse. Replace that and reinstall the panel and table.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
THANK YOU !!!!!! Done and working

That tells you how much we use that table top. I remember seeing that panel at some point.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:32 AM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Glad to read you got it working.

What type of fuse was it? Amps? Style?

Want to make sure I add those to the toolkit.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
It was the same two blade 5 amp type as in the fuse panel. I bought an assorted pack at the auto parts store. 5 10 15 20 amp as you see in the panel should cover it.
The forum is a great wealth of knowledge and experience as you have found out. I feel kind of dumb not thinking about that panel being behind the table storage. I always think the worst when something breaks.
My next project is putting a resonator on the generator exhaust.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Don't forget spares for the 100+ A fuses on the side of the chassis batteries. One is on the wire going to the BIM - allowing the alternator to charge the house batteries. I am sure that there are some spares that I don't have, but I try to purchase a spare every time I discover a new fuse. I considered purchasing a spare for the relays used on the black and gray tank valves, but have not done so. Had to draw the line somewhere...
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Don't forget spares for the 100+ A fuses on the side of the chassis batteries.
Titus, what type of fuses are they? e.g. in line or blade?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
sheakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
Similar to this, could be configured different. It has been a while since looking in the battery compartment
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
It was the same two blade 5 amp type as in the fuse panel. I bought an assorted pack at the auto parts store. 5 10 15 20 amp as you see in the panel should cover it.
The forum is a great wealth of knowledge and experience as you have found out. I feel kind of dumb not thinking about that panel being behind the table storage. I always think the worst when something breaks.
My next project is putting a resonator on the generator exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Don't forget spares for the 100+ A fuses on the side of the chassis batteries. One is on the wire going to the BIM - allowing the alternator to charge the house batteries. I am sure that there are some spares that I don't have, but I try to purchase a spare every time I discover a new fuse. I considered purchasing a spare for the relays used on the black and gray tank valves, but have not done so. Had to draw the line somewhere...

Thank you for confirming fuse type/style.

And for calling out the one inside for the inverter. So that is what is inside this box... in my case, due to the 300 watts solar system in the 2018 vs 100 watt solar system in 2017s, an ANL 150 amp fuse.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse holder - ANL 150amp.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	301649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Fuse.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	301650  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The fuse does look like that posted by Getridaone. I don't remember the amperage, and mine is in storage so I can't check. I do remember that the bolt hole diameter on my spare was too small, so I had to ream it out. Would have been really frustrating to have a spare fuse that I couldn't install.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Replacing those high amp fuses could be dangerous. If the load is still active, there could be a nice sized spark! So you have to be sure there is no current going through them.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote