Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
4x4 or Air Suspension Option

Getting ready to order a new Interstate... wondering if the Air Suspension option is worth it... we live in Minnesota so 4x4 is something that you don't need until you do. We don't plan on much winter use, but wonder if the Air Suspension really makes a difference for people riding in the back. The choice is one or the other. Thanks for any input.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums.

A few posters have the VB suspension but the ones I can remember didn't mention any improvement in the rear ride because they were both up front. My suspicion is that it would improve the ride in the rear. A one ton chassis w/ leaf springs is not going to ride smooth over road perturbations.

FWIW, when I had a full load of passengers, there were no complaints from the grandkids riding in the rear, only the adults in the rear. YMMV

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Getting ready to order a new Interstate... wondering if the Air Suspension option is worth it... we live in Minnesota so 4x4 is something that you don't need until you do. We don't plan on much winter use, but wonder if the Air Suspension really makes a difference for people riding in the back. The choice is one or the other. Thanks for any input.

I can tell you that when I was resting in the back of our '17 AI 4x4, I would swear I was nearly airborne a few times! While I've got no first hand comparison, it is definitely far from a smooth ride in the rear of ours.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
It depends..... if you're into forestry roads and dry camping, then the 3-4" additional clearance in the 4x4 is worth far more than the comfort in the rear, especially if there are only 2 of you. I've already wrecked my rear towing electrics going over uneven ground. So if I get another it'll be a 4x4.
Just my tuppence worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Air Suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
I can tell you that when I was resting in the back of our '17 AI 4x4, I would swear I was nearly airborne a few times! While I've got no first hand comparison, it is definitely far from a smooth ride in the rear of ours.
Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful.

For txntravlr - do you have the Air Suspension option?
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful.

For txntravlr - do you have the Air Suspension option?

No, since we got 4x4, it wasn't available... was either/or
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
In my opinion, a 4x4 can serve best one of two options. I use mine mostly to get me out of a place I should not have gone. Some use 4x4 to get stuck further from home. I tow with a 4x4 and enjoy getting into places other will not. Last May I was in SD enjoying warm spring days when it turned to winter again. Very happy to have the 4x4 then.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Aren't air suspensions all about adjusting ride height based on payload and tongue weight? If this is not an issue, go with 4WD.
Holy Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not necessarily so. Some are for ride improvement.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Full air bag suspension systems replace the stock springs and the ride is a marked improvement. I have full air bag suspension on my '07 DuraMax and my new truck will too. It is that much of an improvement, not only in the truck ride but also the trailer.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
On the other hand I know of an Advanced RV in which one air bag failed and the vehicle was incapacitated. Something to bear in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Saw an ad for a new Dodge Ram 3500 pickup that said it had full air suspension.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Probably few people have done back-to-back testing of the standard model vs. air suspension vs. 4x4 from the rear seat. I have a 2017 with air and think it makes an enormous improvement to the ride, stability and controllability of the vehicle.

Undoubtedly there are some who benefit from the 4x4 in backcountry use, but the dual rear wheels already seem superior in low traction situations. As far as running the rig in snow, you should be thinking more about accelerated corrosion of all the things hanging under the vehicle than traction issues.

I bought our vehicle mainly to transport my wife's huge dog between homes in the SW and NE. The 4x4 was a non-starter because it jacks up the ride height, if I recall correctly about 4". The air suspension allows me to drop the rear a full 4" from the standard ride height, which makes a big difference for the dog jumping into the back.

Also the air suspension is self leveling, which makes the vehicle's handling more predictable in varied loading scenarios.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
Aren't air suspensions all about adjusting ride height based on payload and tongue weight? If this is not an issue, go with 4WD.
Sort of, not exactly. Factory air is meant to keep the same ride height by having the best strength suspension for the current load. Not too stiff for a light load or too soft for a heavy load.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
VB Air Suspension

It's a rolling earthquake, so go for the improved ride.
It's a big vehicle, so go for the improved handling.
You can also level up at the touch of a button in most situations.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
I think Ram has just rear leveling air suspension. 1500 has all around.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I would go air. The ride is smoother all the time. Besides, modern stability control reduces the value premium of 4x4 on winter roads and the air suspension can be adjusted for a slightly higher ride height when needed which probably accomplishes 80% of what the 4x4 is needed for off road.

And if you've ever gotten a 4x4 stuck, you're really stuck. Not so much with 2wd.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Probably few people have done back-to-back testing of the standard model vs. air suspension vs. 4x4 from the rear seat. I have a 2017 with air and think it makes an enormous improvement to the ride, stability and controllability of the vehicle.

Undoubtedly there are some who benefit from the 4x4 in backcountry use, but the dual rear wheels already seem superior in low traction situations. As far as running the rig in snow, you should be thinking more about accelerated corrosion of all the things hanging under the vehicle than traction issues.

I bought our vehicle mainly to transport my wife's huge dog between homes in the SW and NE. The 4x4 was a non-starter because it jacks up the ride height, if I recall correctly about 4". The air suspension allows me to drop the rear a full 4" from the standard ride height, which makes a big difference for the dog jumping into the back.

Also the air suspension is self leveling, which makes the vehicle's handling more predictable in varied loading scenarios.

No offense but I have to disagree with so many of your points listed above. Corrosion concerns should be more of a focus than traction? Really? Cushy rear seats are more important than traction? Is this a nursing home or s utility vehicle?

Rust
Why? Because snow causes rust? Let's all only drive our vans on sunny days. They sand in WY, and apply crushed cinders to the roads in Oregon. No salt here. And this isn't the 70's anymore - I'm not worried about underbelly corrosion on a Maverick Grabber from Ford!

Backcountry?
Have you driven a 2wd and 4wd AI in Wyoming or Oregon when the roads are snow and ice covered? I wouldn't call it "backcountry" I'd call it practical use of an asset and an "expanded utility envelope" from the 4wd unit. When you're comfy in the back seat, sitting at a rest area waiting out the storm - we are safely and sure - footedly making our way up a mtn pass.

Ride
The ride is comfortable on our 4wd unit, and the confidence inspiring expanded safety envelope which the 4wd provides - is immeasurable.

Experience
We've owned multiple AI's 2wd's since 2014, with and without air suspension, and our 4wd unit drives substantially better than all four previous units. That's testimony after at least a combined 100k in all four units.

4"
I don't believe the 4wd unit is 4" higher all around - but I do know the front sits higher in the 4wd AI units than the 2wd units.

As far a dual rear wheels helping - I'd disagree there also.....but I'll save that for another day. Suffice to say, our 2016 2wd unit with dual wheels was stuck in about 6" of snow and ice East of Boise last year. Another time, on our way to Scottsdale AZ, in Northern Nevada, we stopped for an accident in front of us....parked the AI.....ten minutes later we started sliding on the pitched highway toward the valley (engine off, just gravity and isolated slippery conditions). Our front tires on dry pavement, our rear (with chains) on the slippery shoulder.....and we had to be pulled out by the wrecker assisting the accident scene. We've come to appreciate our 4wd unit(s) and won't ever switch back to 2wd. We also honestly believe the 4wd units drive better, and handle better than the 2wd...and I wonder if it's a result of the slightly raised nose.

....ok - I've shared my opinion ymmv
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
No offense but I have to disagree with so many of your points listed above. Corrosion concerns should be more of a focus than traction? Really? Cushy rear seats are more important than traction? Is this a nursing home or s utility vehicle?

Rust
Why? Because snow causes rust? Let's all only drive our vans on sunny days. They sand in WY, and apply crushed cinders to the roads in Oregon. No salt here. And this isn't the 70's anymore - I'm not worried about underbelly corrosion on a Maverick Grabber from Ford!

Backcountry?
Have you driven a 2wd and 4wd AI in Wyoming or Oregon when the roads are snow and ice covered? I wouldn't call it "backcountry" I'd call it practical use of an asset and an "expanded utility envelope" from the 4wd unit. When you're comfy in the back seat, sitting at a rest area waiting out the storm - we are safely and sure - footedly making our way up a mtn pass.

Ride
The ride is comfortable on our 4wd unit, and the confidence inspiring expanded safety envelope which the 4wd provides - is immeasurable.

Experience
We've owned multiple AI's 2wd's since 2014, with and without air suspension, and our 4wd unit drives substantially better than all four previous units. That's testimony after at least a combined 100k in all four units.

4"
I don't believe the 4wd unit is 4" higher all around - but I do know the front sits higher in the 4wd AI units than the 2wd units.

As far a dual rear wheels helping - I'd disagree there also.....but I'll save that for another day. Suffice to say, our 2016 2wd unit with dual wheels was stuck in about 6" of snow and ice East of Boise last year. Another time, on our way to Scottsdale AZ, in Northern Nevada, we stopped for an accident in front of us....parked the AI.....ten minutes later we started sliding on the pitched highway toward the valley (engine off, just gravity and isolated slippery conditions). Our front tires on dry pavement, our rear (with chains) on the slippery shoulder.....and we had to be pulled out by the wrecker assisting the accident scene. We've come to appreciate our 4wd unit(s) and won't ever switch back to 2wd. We also honestly believe the 4wd units drive better, and handle better than the 2wd...and I wonder if it's a result of the slightly raised nose.

....ok - I've shared my opinion ymmv
Thanks for your report, experience counts.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've noted this on other threads... I think each owner has to take a hard look at how they are going to be using their Interstate predominantly, and make the choice accordingly. One size will never fit all.

For instance, the live-in vehicle that whisks us efficiently and comfortably across the 6,000-mile round-trip from Houston to northeastern Nova Scotia is just never going to be the same vehicle that is simultaneously optimized for getting us down Old Ore Road in Big Bend National Park. Not without there being *several* hundred thousand dollars of investment in said vehicle, that is, and our budget is far lower than that.

To date on this analysis, the husband and I have leaned toward air suspension as the better fit to our needs. That round trip cited above requires about 90 hours behind the wheel each and every time it is made. I'm for prioritizing that experience over an off-road experience, especially given that the Sprinter's breakover and departure angles are not going to change very much no matter what its wheels are capable of doing. On all of the the backroads I've encountered to date where I might have liked to have taken our Interstate, 4x4 would not have helped us, because we still would have struck tail or belly even if we had it.

If we get to a back road that the Interstate can't handle, we put a contingency plan into action - (1) we get out and long-distance hike, or (2) we hire a local jeeper for a day trip, or (3) we break out the Brompton bikes, of which we have acquired one thus far (mine, which I've retrofitted with sturdier tires than the OEM).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote