Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
4x4 height

I am purchasing a new 2020 Interstate lounge ext. I am deciding on the 4X4 option. The unit is between 3 to four inches higher from from front to back. Meaning the entry from the fold out step and the ledge step by front doors are also higher. Does anyone have experience with the 4x4 with the increased entry height and any difficulties it may incur. At my age I don’t want to strain to get in or out of coach. Thanks
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:23 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I am purchasing a new 2020 Interstate lounge ext. I am deciding on the 4X4 option. The unit is between 3 to four inches higher from from front to back. Meaning the entry from the fold out step and the ledge step by front doors are also higher. Does anyone have experience with the 4x4 with the increased entry height and any difficulties it may incur. At my age I don’t want to strain to get in or out of coach. Thanks

It’s such a personal choice, and seems less related to your age than perhaps your fitness or mobility.

We are enjoying our fourth 4wd unit. Cannot imagine owning a 2wd unit for multiple reasons which I’ve shared in previous searchable posts.

Best of luck with your choice.
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

None , None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
We have a 2020 Interstate 4x4 and the step height is about 13" from the ground to the top of the step surface. We've had no issues with the height. I've known others to carry a small step stool to use when needed. One bonus with the added height is that when you park against the curb, you'll have a little more clearance for the step to extend.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
We have a 2020 Interstate 4x4 and the step height is about 13" from the ground to the top of the step surface. We've had no issues with the height. I've known others to carry a small step stool to use when needed. One bonus with the added height is that when you park against the curb, you'll have a little more clearance for the step to extend.
bdub, Are you on the Facebook Airstream Interstate forum, would love more members if you care to join.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

None , None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
bdub, Are you on the Facebook Airstream Interstate forum, would love more members if you care to join.
Not currently, but will definitely join
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #6
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Thanks. Real concern is height from front door entry. The minuscule step is difficult enough. I plan on seeing a 4x4 this weekend. Background is I currently have an Interstate. It is my third and I love them. Previously I could not get the 4x4 with air suspension. I also wanted the new Mercedes unit. The 2020 also has a power side door. Closing my current one always had problems. The tv in front retracts saving my head from banging into it. Only big negative is the lounge 4x4 seats 7 not 9. They took the seatbelts away from the side seats. It is a weight restriction issue. Although difficult I can add the belts. I live in Florida so don’t know if I really need a 4x4. This last concern is whether I can easily get in and out of vehicle easily.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote