Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Oxnard , California
4x4 and air ride options

I am new to the forum and am about ready to take the plunge and order my new airstream international. Have some questions about 4 x 4 and airbag systems. One. Can both be ordered on the same vehicle. Two I will be traveling by myself so am wondering if I would even notice a difference upfront with the air suspension. I will be doing some Boondocking and am wondering if I should order the 4 x 4 system just to be safe
Finally when ordering what have my fellow members found to be a expected discount off of sticker price.
Any and all thoughts appreciated
Rudy8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Oxnard , California
Should have also have asked, can air suspension be added at a later point should I decide to have it installed.
Thanks
Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy8352 View Post
Should have also have asked, can air suspension be added at a later point should I decide to have it installed.

Thanks

While air suspension can be added later it is a big $$ job. Also keep in mind the all Interstates with VB air suspension from Airstream give up the rear under floor storage box. They have to move the Onan generator and spare tire about 15" to the rear for the VB components. That eliminates space for the added storage box. I have mine full of tools and other items to change a tire. Not something I need often but it's there when I need it.

Also if you are traveling alone the rear air suspension might not be that important. Try to get a test drive in each one and see for yourself.

Good Luck.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
We have a ‘17 4x4 GT, and typically it’s just the two of us and 3 dogs. The rear is notably rough, but the front is quite smooth on the road. I wouldn’t sacrifice the storage and $ for the air unless you will have passengers or one of you naps while the other drives. (I’ve done that & nearly went airborne a couple of times on rough spots!)

Our discount on our new order at the time was 20%.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
There are plenty of opinions expressed on Air Suspension and 4 wheel drive if you just enter one or the other in the search function. I have had three AI’s two without and the latest with Air Suspension and would definitely recommend it. My new AI with Air Suspension is much more stable around curves and in the wind from nature and wind caused by passing big rig trucks etc. No experience with 4 wheel drive but I don’t think I would ever need it in my normal use of the AI. We travel to Colorado every year and the 2 wheel drive version has handled our early March trips out there without a problem even in snowy conditions. I guess it depends on your intended use of the AI.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Yes both options can now be ordered together... just a few months back, that was not possible.

Get both... I plan to do so next time we get one. Wished it had been possible when we ordered ours back in September 2017...

20% discount. Shop around if dealer close to you is not willing to do the 20% discount.

Welcome to the forum!! Keep us posted
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I notice that you're in Oxnard.

When I shopped for my AS, three years ago, I shopped by phone throughout CA as well as throughout the US except in the SouthEast. The best price I got was from Toscano RV Center, in Los Banos, CA, a mile or so east of I-5, around the same latitude as Santa Cruz and SW of Merced. We agreed on a trailer and its price; I drove down from Seattle to buy it. There were no surprises with them --- fully transparent, decent, and straight-forward as much as I could tell. Others on this list have commented favorably re Toscano, which suggests to me that my experience with Toscano was not unique. They also let me stay in the trailer free over the weekend in their yard, so I could give it a "test drive" to see if any further issues or questions would arise. To my great relief, there were no negatives with doing business with them.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I notice that you're in Oxnard.

When I shopped for my AS, three years ago, I shopped by phone throughout CA as well as throughout the US except in the SouthEast. The best price I got was from Toscano RV Center, in Los Banos, CA, a mile or so east of I-5, around the same latitude as Santa Cruz and SW of Merced. We agreed on a trailer and its price; I drove down from Seattle to buy it. There were no surprises with them --- fully transparent, decent, and straight-forward as much as I could tell. Others on this list have commented favorably re Toscano, which suggests to me that my experience with Toscano was not unique. They also let me stay in the trailer free over the weekend in their yard, so I could give it a "test drive" to see if any further issues or questions would arise. To my great relief, there were no negatives with doing business with them.

Have you ever taken your RV to them for service? It’s my understanding Toscano is not terrific in that department so if you want to have your purchasing dealer be your servicing dealer you may want to shop a stat other than “who has the lowest price”......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy8352 View Post
I am new to the forum and am about ready to take the plunge and order my new airstream international. Have some questions about 4 x 4 and airbag systems. One. Can both be ordered on the same vehicle. Two I will be traveling by myself so am wondering if I would even notice a difference upfront with the air suspension. I will be doing some Boondocking and am wondering if I should order the 4 x 4 system just to be safe
Finally when ordering what have my fellow members found to be a expected discount off of sticker price.
Any and all thoughts appreciated
Oh, almost forgot... get the self-leveling system while you are at it...

Another thing that was not available when I bought mine
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
San Diego , California
quartzsite 0pp0 opl0 pp0pp0 o
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Yes both options can now be ordered together... just a few months back, that was not possible.

Get both... I plan to do so next time we get one. Wished it had been possible when we ordered ours back in September 2017...

20% discount. Shop around if dealer close to you is not willing to do the 20% discount.

lplo0 jjjjl lol ol9mlol po0p0lkkol o. n 0p9I9plo0p0o l 9tiki 0f v5v 999 i09llpl09oi7 00kv bbbbv gv vb vvgvvvvvvvvv90p 09 000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post

Fly.On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
4X4 with air bags

Mike, I think Rudy was referring to a tow vehicle (ie pickup) as he has an International trailer. I make this mistake often as the interstate and international are easy to confuse.
That being said, I think airbags are a waste on a good tow vehicle.
I pull a 2017 27'FB with a 2017 F250 crew cab, and the ride is very smooth.
Andrew
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Oxnard , California
Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. Went down to So Cal Airstream today and test drove various units. Ended up ordering a 2018 Grand Tour with Air suspension, and the 4 x 4. Hope to get it in 6 weeks! Original post said Airstream International, and oops should have been Airstream Interstate. I look forward to becoming a member of the Airstream community and to get to know many of you in the future. Am already planning the trips I want to go on.
Again thanks!
Dave