Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #21
DudleyD

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
Do you really live in Victor? We lived in Jackson and Teton Springs during the past five years.

Huh...

Please don’t take this badly, but how could you not choose 4wd?

And I mean that in the nicest way.

I’ll PM my cell phone, and I encourage you to call if I can help in any way.

It’s not even a choice, or an option to skip 4wd in my opinion...between the Pass, the terrain there, the amazing access.

From our perspective the increased height of the front end (4wd) contributes to a better handling van, with a better ride than the 2wd. Gas mileage? We don’t notice any difference.

Scott please give me a call, I tried to reach u but number incorrect. I sent u my cell PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Seaside Park , New Jersey
4 versus 2 wheel

I wanted an 4x 4 sprinter since they announced its release. Buying an Airstream fitted sprinter was the best choice in a class b. Well, a year later I finally engaged the 4 wheel drive (last week) in 18 inches of snow. The van went great in the snow and having the 4 wheel option is handy. The clearance has been mentioned and I often wonder how I would clear curbs in either direction without it. I added fox racing struts and sumos to get rid of the stock sag in the rear. This leveled the stance and improved the ride 100%. And eliminated the side to side rocking of stock. And yes you can add air suspension, so to me the 4 x 4 is a no brainer. Driving characteristics in wind between the 2 choices I would imagine is similar......fantastic. I love this van, I really feel like I would regret not having the 4 as even my golf cart is 4 wheel drive. Is the ride more bouncy? Probably in the back but we’re in the front when moving so it’s not an issue.
Southtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #24
DudleyD

Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtown View Post
I wanted an 4x 4 sprinter since they announced its release. Buying an Airstream fitted sprinter was the best choice in a class b. Well, a year later I finally engaged the 4 wheel drive (last week) in 18 inches of snow. The van went great in the snow and having the 4 wheel option is handy. The clearance has been mentioned and I often wonder how I would clear curbs in either direction without it. I added fox racing struts and sumos to get rid of the stock sag in the rear. This leveled the stance and improved the ride 100%. And eliminated the side to side rocking of stock. And yes you can add air suspension, so to me the 4 x 4 is a no brainer. Driving characteristics in wind between the 2 choices I would imagine is similar......fantastic. I love this van, I really feel like I would regret not having the 4 as even my golf cart is 4 wheel drive. Is the ride more bouncy? Probably in the back but we’re in the front when moving so it’s not an issue.

I was told by the dealer that air suspension was now available on the 4 wheel also. Think it’s true. Would you think it’s worth the extra $$6500? I decide on 4x4. What you did, I am not a car guy, expensive? Better than, same as air suspension. We will rarely have anyone traveling with us and my wife has issues in the back of my suburban so she’s never going back there[emoji3]
Old 01-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I can’t imagine that an air shock system could cost that much. I’d look into having it done after market, it’s a simple system after all.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #26
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
You will be well served to have 4WD...Another level of safety....Towing on bad roads, and in the rain is much safer with 4WD....You'll be glad to did.....
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
We have the 4x4 WITH Rear Air Ride Suspension on order for delivery next month. I'm hoping it's the best of both worlds...
qtball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #28
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtball View Post
We have the 4x4 WITH Rear Air Ride Suspension on order for delivery next month. I'm hoping it's the best of both worlds...
That is great. Not an option when we ordered ours in September... and I ask specifically for it.

What is your estimated delivery date? Would love to read feedback on having both options.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #29
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
2017 F150 2x2 with locking differential as standard works fine for us. Also frees up 200+ pounds for payload.

The locking differential works well off pavement when extra traction is needed. I have used it to back up on a dirt incline with the 25 AS attached, worked like a charm.

4x4 is not a Panacea for snow and ice, you still need a MS designated tire and you may still need chains; a heavy duty vehicle over 6,500lbs requires chains, I would assume towing a trailer would be part of that weight requirement.

CA:

“California does not have any specific dates when vehicles are required to carry chains. When the road is posted with a sign requiring chains, all heavy-duty vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) must be equipped with chains mounted on the tires in order to proceed. Depending on the severity of road conditions, some vehicles (passenger cars, 4-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires) may not be required to install chains at that point. The exceptions will be posted on the sign.”

Never saw an exception posted when chains are required. Not saying Cal Trans does not post exceptions, in my travels, I have never seen them posted.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #30
DudleyD

Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
That is great. Not an option when we ordered ours in September... and I ask specifically for it.

What is your estimated delivery date? Would love to read feedback on having both options.

We expect delivery in mid April. Unit will be ordered tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Just a quick "two cents worth".....like any vehicle, it depends on how you use it and where your going. Traveling in the Northern states and mountain areas, especially snow country, it makes a big difference. Cruising along the southern half doubtful its gonna get used much.

For me...I use a 2 wheel drive Airstream to pull a 4x4 SUV. Gone cross country 3x and never stuck anywhere yet.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Antrim , New Hampshire
Let's look at advantages of 4WD, among other it is traction in water on the road, snow and ice.

Now, your AI is likely not your main driving vehicle, so driving in ice and snow may not be a planned occurrence. Water in the road? Mercedes Benz Sprinter 4x4: engagable all wheel drive system for professional, commercial drivers. (Something like this in their advertising)

You read right; engagable. That means it is likely not engaged when you get surprised by a water puddle and you would not engage it just for driving in the rain, that's where good tires come in. Ice and snow; getting into ice and snow would likely be an unplanned occurrence. I for one would not take this type RV into deep snow or a slushy, icy road and let all that freeze under the chassis with all those goodies that can get damaged.

Getting surprised by a snow event, yes. Again with good tires there should be no problem and if is in the mountains, you'll likely see chain requirements.

So 4x4 for this type (long body) RV has very little advantage. Full air suspension however is something you can enjoy the minute you leave the house, 100% anytime. If it's an airsuspension system worth its salt you should be able to raise at least the rear 3 to 5 inches which will get you most anywhere 4WD goes. Even an auxiliary air suspension will do that, however driving comfort is not the same as full air such as VB and others.

Now a 144" wheel base 4x4 Sprinter (short) offers perhaps a few more possibilities to go boondocking.

Air suspension has much more bang for the buck than 4x4, however to each his/her own.
felixkagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:46 AM   #33

Orlando , Florida
Several new available options now... darn it!

4-Wheel Drive (available with Air Ride Suspension)
E&P Hydraulic Jack Leveling System
Front Bed System
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 AM   #34
DudleyD

Victor , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Several new available options now... darn it!

4-Wheel Drive (available with Air Ride Suspension)
E&P Hydraulic Jack Leveling System
Front Bed System

Do you think the Air Suspension would be worth the $. After view all the responses and weighing them, we will go with 4 wheel. Rarely that anyone will be in rear while moving, and dealer said it makes no difference in the front for driver/passenger.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #35

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurossjr View Post
Do you think the Air Suspension would be worth the $. After view all the responses and weighing them, we will go with 4 wheel. Rarely that anyone will be in rear while moving, and dealer said it makes no difference in the front for driver/passenger.
I am new to all this and have never driven the 4x4. Best to hear from those that have been able to compare these back to back.

This is our first AI (our first RV really). We travel with two teenagers. For us, we wanted the smoother ride in the back. I would have clicked all three boxes (Air ride, 4x4, and the leveling system)...

Would be financially insane to go back and order one with everything and trade this one in.... argghhhh... kicking myself...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Last year we rented a coach from Advanced RV in Ohio with both 4x4 and VB air suspension. We liked both features. While we never used the 4x4 for its traction capabilities, we found the extra clearance helpful even for minor situations such as backing into a parking space over a high curb. And less to worry about scraping over rutted roads. Regarding air suspension, we had previously test driven a Roadtrek without air suspension and found ourselves immediately getting car sick in the rear. While the air suspension doesn't eliminate all of the bumping and swaying in the rear, it was a huge improvement. Both options are expensive so it just depends on what is valuable to you.
qtball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserthiker View Post
For all the other reasons, if I’m pulling my Flying Cloud and need 4wd then I’m in the wrong place and need to shut down!!! The tongue weight will get me a short distance to camp until things melt!!!
The op is asking about interstates not tv.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
We drive in snow a lot

We have a 2016 GT 2wd which is surprisingly good in the snow. With or without a 6x12 trailer behind it. I just drove back today along 30 miles of icy roads. At least half of the time the road had ice on it. It handles this very well. Also drove thru three brutal snowstorms in it. The last one was when fort Erie got a record 3 feet of snow in December 2017. We were driving on 1-2 inches of ice on the road. Again it handles this well.

Compared to a Toyota Tundra with 4x4 the airstream isn't as capable. Mind you the tundra can get going forward but it doesn't stop that quickly. I.e. It is easier to get in trouble with 4x4. The airstream goes up hill and down them with surprising traction. All that being said the ground clearance could be improved. Also the rear could definitely use air suspension. I am curious as to if you can take a 4x4 airstream onto the beach. I am a Kiteboarder and that would be a huge plus. However I have to believe that lowing the air pressure enough to get better floatation on the sand might roll the beads off the tires. Curious to know if anyone has driven and airstream onto the sand.

If you're only driving in snow on roads the 2wd is incredibly capable.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #39
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I would echo that the 2wd AI is very capable on snowy/slushy/icy roads. We just took ours on an admittedly ill-advised trip to go skiing with my son’s Boy Scout troop, driving for 11 hours in/just after the big snow storm last Friday. The roads were far worse than I expected, and we drove on a lot of 2 lane hilly roads that had not been touched by a plow or salt. We of course took it slow, but I never once felt the AI lose traction - drove like a tank. As an aside we have the VB air suspension option and it is excellent. If I could get full time AWD for extra traction without higher ground clearance, I would go for that, but I’m not very interested in the engage-able 4WD system and higher ride height (on an already tippy top heavy van).
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
4 versus 2 wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
We have a 2016 GT 2wd which is surprisingly good in the snow. With or without a 6x12 trailer behind it. I just drove back today along 30 miles of icy roads. At least half of the time the road had ice on it. It handles this very well. Also drove thru three brutal snowstorms in it. The last one was when fort Erie got a record 3 feet of snow in December 2017. We were driving on 1-2 inches of ice on the road. Again it handles this well.

Compared to a Toyota Tundra with 4x4 the airstream isn't as capable. Mind you the tundra can get going forward but it doesn't stop that quickly. I.e. It is easier to get in trouble with 4x4. The airstream goes up hill and down them with surprising traction. All that being said the ground clearance could be improved. Also the rear could definitely use air suspension. I am curious as to if you can take a 4x4 airstream onto the beach. I am a Kiteboarder and that would be a huge plus. However I have to believe that lowing the air pressure enough to get better floatation on the sand might roll the beads off the tires. Curious to know if anyone has driven and airstream onto the sand.

If you're only driving in snow on roads the 2wd is incredibly capable.

We regularly took our 2017 4x4 onto Oregon’s beautiful coastal beaches. No problems at all. No air pressure reduction necessary for our trips either.

Nice to wake up with the crashing surf at the (open) rear cargo doors in the morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	302601Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	302602
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote