Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our city ordinances require that RV's not be kept in driveways from November 1 to April 1, and so a backyard placement or small storage slot is required.

RV here is defined as having a bathroom.

Other than this period, the Interstate is in our driveway whenever we are home.

Maggie
Old 12-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Our city ordinances require that RV's not be kept in driveways from November 1 to April 1, and so a backyard placement or small storage slot is required.

RV here is defined as having a bathroom.

Other than this period, the Interstate is in our driveway whenever we are home.

Maggie

Hmm, I think that would kill the idea in my case if it turned out that the same regs applied here.

As mentioned, I would certainly verify the situation before taking the plunge!

If I were to no longer have the Classic 30 and lay out all that extra moolah for an Interstate, I would want to be able to keep it on our drive year round to take full advantage of it.

We do live on a fairly decent sized corner lot, and I suppose I could make an entrance and get into our back garden from the dead end road on the side of our house, but our back yard is not that large and there wouldn't be much left of it with an Interstate parked across the back.

For the moment I don't even know if they will pass the proposed law which will allow us only 2 days overnight parking exemption on the street in front of our home for our 30 footer instead of the 15 days / year now allowed. Should know in a couple of weeks. Any new regs are to come into effect next April.

Then too, I don't know what their definition of "Recreational vehicles" for this 2 day rule - it is the first time they have singled out RV's with special on street parking exemption permits. It is possible they re meaning only large class A motorhomes - sometimes that is what people incorrectly mean when they refer to an RV.

Our Airstream has exactly the same sort of trailer license as the little trailer I made myself to tow behind our motorcycle. I suppose large motorhomes might have a special RV license here - not sure.

In any event I appreciate all the comments I have received on the subject.

Heck, I might even think about switching to a class B even if I don't have to do so, because despite the cons, I can see many pros, especially as I get maybe less able to handle some of the physical aspects of RVing.

I also do believe we would tend to go away with it on short trips than we do with our trailer - I usually consider it way to much of a hassle top go away for less than 10 days or so at a time. With a B class in the drive and partly packed it would be a breeze to decide on the spur of the moment to take off for a coup;e of days at a Provincial Park. Many of which cannot even handle our 30' trailer.

We shall see! Not going to rush into anything. If the new regulations do come into play, then initially I will try a couple of work arounds and see how things go.

Meanwhile I'm learning a lot about Class B's. I do have many happy memories in our little VW Westphalia some 40 years ago!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Then too, I don't know what their definition of "Recreational vehicles" for this 2 day rule - it is the first time they have singled out RV's with special on street parking exemption permits. It is possible they re meaning only large class A motorhomes - sometimes that is what people incorrectly mean when they refer to an RV.
A quick check of Burlington, Ontario zoning ordinances shows them to be positively baroque! They will not even trap and remove raccoons or skunks, or allow a resident to do so, because trapping an animal and then releasing it far from where it was trapped is cruel to the animal. But that's beside the point.

Here's a copy of what they have to say about trailers and RV's (my parenthetical comments in red):
Quote:
2.8 Trailers and Recreation Vehicles

2.8.1 The following regulations apply to parking of trailers and recreation vehicles on lots for detached dwellings, semi-detached dwellings, street triplex dwellings, street triplex and fourplex dwellings and street townhouse dwellings, in all zones except RA, EP and RG zones:

(a) Any recreational vehicle, trailer or any load thereon including a boat, whether on or off a trailer or other supporting device, which does not exceed a height of 1.82m, may be parked or stored in any yard.(this would only apply to pop-up campers and some smaller boats; I'm 1.8m tall myself, and most RV's and many trailered boats are taller than I am.)

(b) Any recreational vehicle, trailer or any load thereon including a boat, whether on or off a trailer or other supporting device, which exceeds a height of 1.82m, may be parked or stored in any yard between May 1st and October 31st. At any other time such parking or storage is permitted only in yards other than a front yard or street side yard.

(c) Notwithstanding (b) above, the parking or storage of a recreational vehicle, trailer or any load thereon including a boat, whether on or off a trailer or other supporting device, which exceeds a height of 3.66 m, is prohibited.(Fortunately, and Airstream Interstate tops out at 2.94m, but this lets out most Class A's and 5th wheels)

(d) Parking and storage of recreation vehicles and trailers is not permitted within a visibility triangle, at street intersections and railway intersections.
I could not find anyplace that they define exactly what constitutes an RV.