Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The new Interstates are 23-24' long, and other Class B's are probably about the same. Can you park a trailer in front of your garage if it doesn't block the sidewalk? Could you downsize to a 22-23' trailer?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Lightbulb The Answer

OK,
Here is the no compromise solution:

Buy an Interstate, Take it to CanAm and have them rig it to tow your 30 foot trailer. Judging from some of the things I read here, I'm sure they can do it. For short trips take just the interstate, for long journeys, tow the trailer. What could be more perfect?

Ken

Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I/we have been looking at these too, but they seem too cramped compared to my 25' Safari, which we love. I saw a new Interstate at the car show in LA and liked it. Newer floor plan, but I would still want a full time bed in the rear. I might be able to live with a wet bath, or not????? What this new floor plan had that I liked was that all of the seats in back were actually usable; Some models have a cabinet above one of the seats so it can only be used when made as a bed. Now take this model, remove those seats and put a bed there. This might work. I also have to think about the cost on the Interstate which is about four times what we paid for our Safari. [ A brand new trailer similar to ours costs about double now]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The wet bath throws it off for me.
The only b van that does not have a wet bath is the leisure vans free spirit with a slide. But then the couch has to be converted into the bed.
I have never been a fan of the layout of the Road Trek or Realta.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Wingeezer - now you have the perfect pressure point to get your wife to tow the Airstream.
Paula

My wife did try towing our last trailer once - a 27 footer.

I don't recall all the details, it was many years ago, but I do remember we were into some sort of an arguement and something she said had prompted me to say "Well, you try driving then!"

She replied "Ok I will!" Probably not the smartest thing for me to do but in the heart of the moment I said ok, pulled over and we switched seats.

Off we went down the highway. All went surprisingly well until she passed an eighteen wheeler then cut back in front without allowing for the length of the trailer.

All I remember was Very long blasts of air horns and seeing the truck driving along throwing up a cloud of gravel on the shoulder!

Soon after, my wife decided she had made her point and didn't want to drive it again!

I'm sure that if she had to she could, but it is not something she chooses to do. It probably would be wise for me to get her to do it now and then just in case. I can see that getting fuel of backing up could be real issues though!

It would be one advantage of having a B class!

My only concern with handling the stinger is that I fractured a vertebrae a couple of years ago trying to lift up our 900 pound plus motorcycle when it had fallen over while parked in a field. I still get a lot of back aches as a
result and am maybe now overly cautious about lifting things in case I make things worse. Can still manage the stinger ok though, but I like your idea!

Seems to me I saw where someone had devised a little wooden trolley to move the stinger on and off the tow vehicle.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
The new Interstates are 23-24' long, and other Class B's are probably about the same. Can you park a trailer in front of your garage if it doesn't block the sidewalk? Could you downsize to a 22-23' trailer?
That's good thought, but our community would only permit that in peak summer months.

I have however seen shorter trailers parked year round in people's driveways and when I spoke with a bylaw officer he told me "off the record" that theory don't enforce the bylaw unless someone complains.

I could take a chance on that, but I tend to be a bit of a worrier, and I would be just waiting and anticipating the day when someone would complain then I'd be back where I started - only with a shorter trailer!

Been thinking of a few other options though that might allow me to keep the
30 footer such as .

- park it overnight in a nearby church or school carpark overnight once we have packed it and leave very early next morning

- take a chance on getting tickets

- drive it back to our storage area once packed, sleep overnight there (we have a genie) then leave early in the am.

- instead of keeping the trailer overnight at home after we have spent the day cleaning and packing it, leave home around suppertime, drive as far as we can , then stop wherever we can to grab some sleep - rest area? walmart? motel?

Maybe there are more options than I first thought!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
That said, to say that we have adjusted is an understatement. 6 1/2 years, 132,000 miles and 48 states later, we remain in love with our Interstate.

We love the set-up, the luxury, the fuel economy and being able to go anywhere without restrictions due to size.

Maggie

That sounds encouraging! I agree though I would miss the dinette -for some reason that arrangement in a trailer hasd always appealed to me.

I am surprised that more Class B designs don't offer slides. One does, but it has a layout whereby you need to make up the bed each day, I would prefer a layout that gives you a bed in back and a bit of a lounge up front so you could leave the bed made up if desired.

I would imagine we will see more Class B's with slides in the near future now that there is one company that has gone that route.

It seems logical for a small narrow RV such as a class B.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
" I find the Hensley stringer to be a real pain. It's awkward, heavy and has sharp edges, but it's bending over or kneeling to get it up and down that I find makes me worry about dropping it or pinching fingers, etc. I've often thought to myself - why don't they make these things with handles?"
=======
Foiled,
Doesn't this stay on the trailer coupler? Do you remove for security reasons?

Sorry for the thread interruption! Carry on.

We have mucho parking regs too. We bring the trailer to the house at 7am, pack it up, and we are gone by 9. No need to leave it over night.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrick51 View Post
Hi,
We,ve had the 30 classic and our last was a 25 FC. So far,we like our Pleasureway RB. This layout has a fixed rear bed with front seats that swivel with full leg room for both seats and a removal table by the front seats which gives two distict living area. We also added under cabinet drawers in the bedroom which increase our storage options. Also,added a drawer above clothes bar in hanging locker. Installed a spare tire carrier which frees up all the space under bed. The bed has struts which raise the bed for access from the rear doors. We now have space for two Lafums recliners, ll bean screen room ( nice outdoor space ), bbq and other rv accessories for travel. We considered Interstate tb and the Ltv unity. We like the size of 22/9 inches for the Pleasureway. However with the tire carrier,the length is around23/6. This winter we will spend one mo. In rv park/ one mo. State, county, federal parks and finish off with one mo. In oceanside ,cal rental .our tip back to Oregon will take one mo. At state,blm, us forest service campgrounds which are perfect for class b's. Also be aware, maintenance on the MB chassis will not be inexpensive. The drivability is wonderful. Some new options coming on market next year might increase your choices. Overall, the b makes up for space with outstanding handling, greater flexibilty for camping and increased mileage. Have fun searching and remember, travel is the enemy of ignorance and your bank account.
Lots of good tips on increasing usable space.

I'm thinking the big issue would be whether you could get over the initial shock of losing so much space in comparison to the 30 footer without feeling claustrophobic.

In terms of storage though, I have the feeling that would not be so difficult to adjust.

I know for example that I take all manner of things on our trip that I never wind up using - just because I have the space to take them and "might" want them - truth to tell, I seldom do.

As for clothing, even though I do try to take less, invariably it seems I never wear more than maybe 20% of the clothes I bring on our trips!

I would think that getting use to a small fridge might be more troublesome - I see some of the class B fridges are as small as 3.1 cu ft

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
OK,
Here is the no compromise solution:

Buy an Interstate, Take it to CanAm and have them rig it to tow your 30 foot trailer. Judging from some of the things I read here, I'm sure they can do it. For short trips take just the interstate, for long journeys, tow the trailer. What could be more perfect?

Ken
Ken,

I think you are pulling my leg - but not sure - could be a good suggestion!

I know there are lots of people who swear by what CanAm does, and maybe it is feasible, but I'm afraid I am firmly in the camp of overkill being the preferable choice for many reasons when it comes to selecting tow vehicles!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

That sounds encouraging! I agree though I would miss the dinette -for some reason that arrangement in a trailer hasd always appealed to me.

I am surprised that more Class B designs don't offer slides. One does, but it has a layout whereby you need to make up the bed each day, I would prefer a layout that gives you a bed in back and a bit of a lounge up front so you could leave the bed made up if desired.

I would imagine we will see more Class B's with slides in the near future now that there is one company that has gone that route.

It seems logical for a small narrow RV such as a class B.

Brian
While I have only seen a couple with slide outs, they were both Class C RVs. They were a Sprinter cab & chassis with a special design box on them. This makes them somewhat wider than a standard Sprinter.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Before we bought our Interstate, we almost went with the LTV Free Spirit SS (the one with the slide out). Very very glad we didn't.

It was tempting, due to the nice wide space you have when you have the slide actually out...very spacious! Also, bathroom in back is huge.

Big big downsides were: 1) You have to have the slide out to use the bed. 2) The bed was narrow. 3) When the slide is in, there is no visibility from the drivers seat towards the back....the slide wall is virtually right up against the driver's seat, cutting the driver off from the rest of the unit 4) There is no way for 2 people to sit at a table and face each other to talk or eat, there's just the bed/couch that faces out to the side. 5) Lack of panoramic windows
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
While I have only seen a couple with slide outs, they were both Class C RVs. They were a Sprinter cab & chassis with a special design box on them. This makes them somewhat wider than a standard Sprinter.
Leisure Vans, Free Spirit SS (not to be confused with the Free Spirit, which has no slide-out): Leisure Travel Vans - Free Spirit SS - Overview.

Other neat features, besides the slide-out, include a fairing around the roof, that makes it look taller (though it isn't really) and helps hide the rooftop a/c unit and the awning, a proper bath that has a separate shower in place of a wet-bath found in most Sprinter conversions, and a screen door at the sliding side door.

Wish Airstream would copy that screen door!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

...................................My only concern with handling the stinger is that I fractured a vertebrae a couple of years ago trying to lift up our 900 pound plus motorcycle when it had fallen over while parked in a field. I still get a lot of back aches as a
result and am maybe now overly cautious about lifting things in case I make things worse. Can still manage the stinger ok though, but I like your idea!

Seems to me I saw where someone had devised a little wooden trolley to move the stinger on and off the tow vehicle.

Brian
We have Rock Tamers mounted on the stinger. We leave them on it all the time. The extensions of the Rock Tamer make nice handles on each side. Every time we move it, we make it a two person job.

My comments about towing were tongue in cheek. However it would be interesting to look into. What I want is one of the heavy duty off-road motor homes. It would be lot of fun in this part of the country.

Kem