Old 09-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
2nd Row Seat Removal

Q: has anyone removed either of the 2nd Row seats and have some advice?

I see that there are four bolts holding them to the floor; looks pretty simple - but those seem to be the most dangerous projects.
- Is the floor threaded?
- If I backout the bolts; will the nuts fall off the bottom and never be found again?
- Do the bolts go all the way through the floor and get hidden by the tanks and other 'bottom modifications'?

Background:

I'm thinking about taking the seat behind the driver out for extended (7-14 day) trips. I travel with my wife and a 100# Labrador Retriever.

The Lab rides between the driver and passenger on the floor (really tries to crawl up under the gas pedal - we've finally broke him of that; but he gets as low and forward as possible while coach is in motion.

At home he likes to layout flat - with all fours pointed out (takes up about 4' x 2' space on floor).

There is no where (other than when the bed is out) that he can stretch out like this in the AS.

Happy Dog = Happy Wife; so I'm exploring options.

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I took out both seats. I left the base for the seats in as the screws gong through with a nut underneath. Worked ok and gave me space for extra storage.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
I took out both seats. I left the base for the seats in as the screws gong through with a nut underneath. Worked ok and gave me space for extra storage.
If they did it correctly, the nuts under the floor are captive.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post

If they did it correctly, the nuts under the floor are captive.
That's my fear - that they didn't . . . .

Leaving the base in doesn't solve my problem for more "dog on the floor" room. I don't want to be the guy that tries this to see - I'll wait a little longer.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post

Leaving the base in doesn't solve my problem for more "dog on the floor" room. I don't want to be the guy that tries this to see - I'll wait a little longer.
If you feel like crawling underneath the rig, you would probably find at least one of the nuts is visible. In a perfect world, you could then assume that all 2nd row seat base nuts were done the same way and proceed accordingly. In the Airstream world, that would probably not be a safe assumption. It's disturbing how flakey they can be with some things!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post

Leaving the base in doesn't solve my problem for more "dog on the floor" room.
Actualy, it might. Leave the base in, and attach a (padded) shelf bridging from the rear seat base to the back of the front seat base. Dog sleeps on the shelf, and you gain a cubbyhole underneath for storage.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
No there are not captive. The first screw I turned did not get loose bit turned so there is just a MIT on the bottom. The same on the rear safety belt screws. I was little disappointed in this obvious lack of consideration.
I did not check underneath but with my luck and Mr, Murphy it is under a tank or so.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
I went under the van today to take a look because I've been considering replacing the second row with recliners out of a new Toyota Sienna. The LH side is completely hidden by the fuel tank and the RH side has only two of the nuts, (with fender washers), clearly visible. Will have to consider alternatives besides dropping the tank but that maybe the only way.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Can't believe they didn't use captive nuts. Oh wait, this is Airstream, never mind.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Yea; pretty messed up. Guess we're not supposed to be taking our new motorhomes apart!

I told my wife I was looking at taking a seat out and she wondered why it didn't pop out like our old Dodge Caravan did. (LOL)

Oh well - the King Size bed (almost) in the back is going to have to do for my lab - I'm sure he'll get used to it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I know I'm not pulling a tank to make my dog more room. . .
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actualy, it might. Leave the base in, and attach a (padded) shelf bridging from the rear seat base to the back of the front seat base. Dog sleeps on the shelf, and you gain a cubbyhole underneath for storage.
hmmm, interesting idea - I may look at that - Thanks for the Input! That would allow me to store the 40 cans of 'grain free' dog food I need for the trip under his 'shelf bed' and double my flooring space!

That's why I covered my 'goal' - dog more room.

Thanks Protagonist!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
I went under the van today to take a look because I've been considering replacing the second row with recliners out of a new Toyota Sienna. The LH side is completely hidden by the fuel tank and the RH side has only two of the nuts, (with fender washers), clearly visible. Will have to consider alternatives besides dropping the tank but that maybe the only way.
You do realize that the right-hand second-row seat mounts on top of the black tank enclosure, right? Probably shouldn't be unbolting THAT seat base!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The seats are probably a Sprinter item with the install dictated by MB. Easier access on a base sprinter, more dif after a motorhomes conversion. Still, captured fasteners would be nice. Jim
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You do realize that the right-hand second-row seat mounts on top of the black tank enclosure, right? Probably shouldn't be unbolting THAT seat base!
Actually the black tank is aft of the RH seat bolts because two are clearly visible, but the two that are not appear to be under one of the floor ribs. I need to take a closer look to verify but it could be that dropping the tank on the LH side may be the easy part...