Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
Actually the black tank is aft of the RH seat bolts because two are clearly visible
Sure doesn't look that way on mine, but I'll take your word for it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Actually the black tank is aft of the RH seat bolts because two are clearly visible, but the two that are not appear to be under one of the floor ribs. I need to take a closer look to verify but it could be that dropping the tank on the LH side may be the easy part...
I thought the black water tank was entirely above the floor of the RV. That was why it didn't have a heater.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
One further thought, you could probably get the bolts out by keeping upward pressure while removing it and installing a threaded insert, (rivnut), letting the nut/washer drop.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Hi Ben,

Interesting! In my twin version the 2nd row seat (there is only one) is perched right on top of the box that encloses the black tank. I'm sure you would have to removed the black tank to get at the underside fasteners.

w
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
The black tank in my standard length lounge is under the toilet above the floor and in fact they built a little box to enclose it behind the RH seat. The one issue with that is any pedestal that's lower than the existing one will no longer swivel. There is going to be some design and welding necessary to fit aftermarket recliners because they require a lower pedestal height to accommodate the footrest.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The black tank in my standard length lounge is under the toilet above the floor and in fact they built a little box to enclose it behind the RH seat.
Now that you describe it that way, I think mine might be the same. Going on the basis of memory I thought the seat swivel was directly on top of the black tank cover, but my memory has been wrong before, and the black tank enclosure might not extend all the way under the seat as I believed.

And as they say, when the memory goes, you can just forget it!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
The swivel pedestal is a standard RV part and utilizes a seat belt bar so the the belts will move with the seat. Even if one were to cut off the bar, any lower seat height without addressing the distance between the seat and the black tank enclosure would essentially render the swivel useless. I'm looking at using a 4" pedestal with longer arms to give the track more forward distance so it will still swivel 90-degrees left or right when not reclined.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Now that you describe it that way, I think mine might be the same. Going on the basis of memory I thought the seat swivel was directly on top of the black tank cover, but my memory has been wrong before, and the black tank enclosure might not extend all the way under the seat as I believed.

And as they say, when the memory goes, you can just forget it!
This is clearly a case of the blind leading the blind! I also had a major brain lapse. I think I should get a free pass though because I don't get to see my Interstate but 2 or 3 times a year. But Protagonist is correct. After further digging into the dark recesses of my failing mind, I now remember that the box covering the black tank does not have the 2nd row seat on top of it. The seat is just forward of the front face of the box. I'm pretty certain this is how it is set up but I will confirm next week when I pay my visit to OR and my Interstate. If I can remember where I left it
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post

This is clearly a case of the blind leading the blind! I also had a major brain lapse. I think I should get a free pass though because I don't get to see my Interstate but 2 or 3 times a year. But Protagonist is correct. After further digging into the dark recesses of my failing mind, I now remember that the box covering the black tank does not have the 2nd row seat on top of it. The seat is just forward of the front face of the box. I'm pretty certain this is how it is set up but I will confirm next week when I pay my visit to OR and my Interstate. If I can remember where I left it
In the non-extended lounge model, the curb side 2nd row seat is bolted to the floor. The black water tank is above the floor and extends almost to the base of the seat.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Not that this changes anything and I expect it is fully above the floor in all designs otherwise it would require a heater, but I seem to recall that the black tank was changed sometime during the 2012 model year. I believe this had to do with clearance for the change from 2-point seat belts to 3-point seat belts on the 2nd row (and the different seats that incorporate them) during that time.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
You can see the pup found a way to try and sprawl out, going to have to get him up in the bed, old bones (his) don't like jumping up or down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3120263546.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	195240  
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
I just bought a 2014 extended and removed the 2nd row seats. The bolts are captive, but they can slide an get lost between the floor. I'm getting shorter bolts so the nuts stay in place, covering the area behind the first row of seats to the "hallway" with a custom cut/ beveled Southern States heavy rubber "stall mat"
And then installing custom stackable dog crates on the driver side for my two German Shepherds. I will use the front tie down behind the driver seat and one of the second row seat bolts to secure the crates. I'll update with pictures when I finish. ( I make custom, secure dog crates as a hobby out of aluminum tubing, HD polyethylene, and lots of rivets).
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
I've found shorter (1") screws at Advanced Auto parts so that I can secure the captive nuts an prevent rattling. The next step is to cut the rubber stall mat to cover the are.

Name:	image-2036427382.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	198849

Name:	image-2358884052.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	198850
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
That's cool but I'm a bit confused, if the nuts were 'captive' wouldn't that imply they were welded to floor? What rattles?

My van has studs coming up through base with nuts holding the seat base down, did yours have bolts through the seat base into the floor?

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote