Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Good to know the 2020 AI Nineteens are being built. I think the Ext’s are the ones Airstream has yet to receive. MB had them on a later timeframe than the Nineteens.

Other dealerships are reporting the Nineteens headed to their dealerships. I agree about the small MBUX display. Also, the seats look different from the brochure. Good they have 3 point seatbelts. I am relieved that the pictures of the Tommy Bahama interior look good.

Can’t wait to hear when mine will arrive!
MLWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWilcox View Post
Good to know the 2020 AI Nineteens are being built. I think the Ext’s are the ones Airstream has yet to receive. MB had them on a later timeframe than the Nineteens.

Other dealerships are reporting the Nineteens headed to their dealerships. I agree about the small MBUX display. Also, the seats look different from the brochure. Good they have 3 point seatbelts. I am relieved that the pictures of the Tommy Bahama interior look good.

Can’t wait to hear when mine will arrive!
I'm curious if that 2020 AI 19 is a one off with the discrepancy of the materials or design layout being used. Add the fact that Airstream themselves says they don't expect to ship out 2020's until June or July timefram. Obviously I hope that's not the case.

"Heading to their dealerships" is misleading because if you call and ask about them, the arrival date is usually around the June thru July timeframe. I've even been told that they didn't have deliver date, at least that been my experience when talking to a few of them prior to ordering one.

I agree, the sooner the better for sure.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
2018 Atlas
Santa Monica , California
I sent email to my dealer after looking at the Nineteen pictures. She confirmed the MBUX screen is 7” not the 4” prototype in the picture. I also asked about the “airstream direct” availability. Dealer installed option form AT&T WiFi/cellular boost. Anybody familiar with this? And one more thing.....the badging seems a little to much (3sides) can be removed by dealer. 1st was June/July ,then maybe September , now I think we’re back to late July delivery. My guess...Labor Day.
dzimm247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The screen pictured (Arbogast) is 7 inch. The larger (optional) screen is 10.25 inch as pictured in the Interstate brochure. There is no "4 inch" screen. BTW, having a 7 inch screen does not preclude having the MBUX interface per Mercedes. So the question remains open until we see official specs published.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
I'm definitely confused now because the order form that I signed didn't have an standard/upgrade display screen option.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
When I use the term "Optional", it is in reference to the Sprinter ordering guide. Buyers of the AI do not have the ability to order options for the Platform, although I wish we did. RV manufacturers generally contract for a specific set of options. Airstream has usually gone with top shelf components.

So when I say the 10.25 screen is optional, it means it is up to Airstream to decide if they are going to use it. Unfortunately, I have seen some indication that other manufacturers are going for the low cost solution for these smaller rigs based on the 2500 chassis. I would prefer the larger screen myself, but it's not a deal killer, knowing that the MBUX interface still works with the 7 inch screen. What matters more to me is the Driver Assistance package. If that is not included, we're done here.

We can speculate all day about the discrepancies between the Arbogast photos and the brochure. It could be a one off, but the origin of that chassis is what probably determined the differences. If it was an early production (I won't use the word prototype, as prototype connotes a throw away product) van off of the SC line, it could be a limitation of what screen components were available to MBUSA at the time... They have been focused on producing large numbers of work trucks for Amazon and others on the 2500 chassis, and the 7 inch screen is very much standard for them. Most of the early cab chassis B+ models by manufacturers like LTV are based on European imports and are more easily sourced with the components they desire being closer to the source, and all of them I have seen have the 10.25 screen. I remember buying an E-Class in 2006 and could not find a single one with the optional Xenon lights... Turns out it was due to the earthquake in Japan which had shut down production of them...

At any rate, IF, and it's a big IF, the Auto Tariffs go through this week on the EU, all Sprinter components could cost way more depending on where they are sourced. The newly instated China tariffs already include a higher tariff on parts. So it depends on where the Sprinter parts come from, whether the cost of the platform goes up for Airstream... And it could determine how many of the goodies they decide to include and stay within their target MSRP range. Could be why they have still not published the specs. But that's a discussion for another day.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Here's another TB, this one at Airstream of MS, and it too shows the 7 inch screen. It has LED headlights like the other. No other specs listed so unable to determine if it has the Driver Assistance package. https://www.airstreamofmississippi.c...ail?id=7097876
Old 05-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
If Airstream chooses to go with the 7" screen, then it should've been included in the picture vs the 10.25" or at least a footnote stating it could be the 7" screen. If not that then inform the dealers to relay that information to their sales staff who then can forward it to potential buyers.

For owners of MB products like myself, the Driver Assistance is a nice feature to have. I visited my local dealer a couple of weeks ago and they had a couple of passenger vans with the 10.25" & 7" screens. I would very much prefer the 10.25". Is it a deal breaker for me, no but at the same time, what other potential items could be different than the brochure? The brochure sold me on ordering an Airstream versus their competitor. Aesthetics matter and the brochure tipped the scale for alot of us non die-hard Airstream buyers. Does anyone know when are the official brochure will be delivered to the dealers?

I would hope that the companies ordered material in advanced in order to avoid impact that tariffs will have on US businesses and consumers.

It's good to see that product is landing at dealerships but it's a shame that when you call Airstream directly, their employees provide incorrect information.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
If Airstream chooses to go with the 7" screen, then it should've been included in the picture vs the 10.25" or at least a footnote stating it could be the 7" screen. If not that then inform the dealers to relay that information to their sales staff who then can forward it to potential buyers. ...
It might not be Airstream's choice. Comments on the Sprinter forum and reports form the business press indicate Mercedes is having trouble getting parts for the new Sprinter. The Mercedes reps at the Advanced RV seminar two weeks ago specifically mentioned difficulties meeting the demand for the high-end 10.25" display. The planners at Mercedes/Daimler in Germany consider the Sprinter a commercial vehicle and didn't anticipate the demand for high-end options in the USA market, especially for RVs.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
2019 25' Globetrotter
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Tucson , Arizona
It appears to me that they are not using the wood blinds in the AI ‘20 TB. In my opinion the wood blinds are a real distinguishing feature. The pictures that I see linked in this thread have a pleated “soft blind”. I’m sure they are fine but somehow miss the mark on that tropical bungalow look.

I also wonder what is in the cabinet above the sofa since they don’t have a bar. Does anyone know?
ChrisCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
It's good to see that product is landing at dealerships but it's a shame that when you call Airstream directly, their employees provide incorrect information.
I completely agree. Even if they have not yet built one on the '20 chassis, they should know what they are expecting to get in.

I think you'll be alright and get the features you expect, but that uncertainty added to the anticipation of waiting on your order has got to be hard. I know when I bought my used Airstream Avenue over the internet from a dealer in Houston, I could hardly sleep for the three days until I went to pick it up.

I feel for you.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #32
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Well... looks like there is a 19 at the local dealer. Got a call yesterday. Will drive over Saturday to take a look.

I really doubt we will make the change... getting to the point of no return on changes to the AI plus I would hate to start over.

But there is this thought in the back of my mind that is telling me to check it out. A smaller/shorter AI would be a breeze to drive and park anywhere. Fuel mileage would be better... the new chassis sits higher...

But it can't be at the expense of getting into a size the would not work for the two of us... We are so comfortable right now in ours. I just need to get inside the 19, walk around... and validate...

We are really talking about storage space... and definitely telling the kids "you do not fit in this one, sorry!!" . Where today, if they wanted, they could come with us and sleep all in the AI...

There I go again blabbering away...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:36 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

As the Tommy Bahama 19’ rolls into dealerships, below are more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	823D69B5-2A95-4951-9252-9E7269FA8214.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	340947   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD160B95-19B4-4417-A503-3567F6EBE2EE.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	340948  

Name:	EE2BE100-A7A0-47A7-BCCD-3C1EEFFD69AC.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	340949   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBF981A8-76F9-47F7-99E2-E7FED5C24125.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	340950  

Old 05-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

More.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DA0307F5-8CDC-411B-A09F-A7A9EB1D1D22.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	340954   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD8BD5A2-D8FB-41C7-99B6-40162ADBB83C.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	340955  

Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 AM   #35

Orlando , Florida
MLWilcox, thank you!!

Looks great! But a bit disappointed that they selected the smaller screen from Mercedes for the dash. Even Winnebago went with the large screen in their Boldt...

The TB interior looks gorgeous.

I do not see the use of the glass/bottles area...not important to us. That can be repurpose easily.

But it looks so much better, imho of course, than the other color combinations.

I need to call the local dealer to confirm which one (color combo) they got in stock... they left vm with only saying that one was available to look at. Will call later today to confirm.

EDIT: One more comment... the only thing we are not that trilled with is the flooring in our TB... gets dirty easy and it is a pita to clean... wished they would use the same flooring than in the other AIs but with the teak color (to make it different)...something with a lighter teak finish... like this... same material and finish (smooth) but lighter color... it would look great and be easy to clean and maintain...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winnebago Boldt.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	340956   Click image for larger version

Name:	AI19TB-1.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	340957  

Name:	TeakFloor.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	340958  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #36

Orlando , Florida
Okay... confirmed that what TampaRV has right now is a 2019... so not in the new chasis and not a TB. They are getting a 2020 TB in a few weeks.

We will be in the area anyway, so we will stop by and take a look at the layout and see how it feels.

Would be great to get more owners here sharing their feedback on how the AI 19 is working for them.
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #37

Orlando , Florida
We just came back from seeing one... not something that would work for us... too small for us since we are used to the space we have in the EXT.

The good:

Bathroom is larger and more comfortable than the one in the EXT.
The bed! More comfortable than what we have in the EXT. Not by much but enough to make a difference and be noticeable...
The layout works fine. Even if it is shorter, we could get around without issues.
Of course, how compact it is... being 5' shorter is a breeze to park in a normal parking spot.

The things we found a to be a challenge:
The bed hardware gets in the way in the rear space... so the space when opening the rear doors is restricted somewhat by the braces and structure of the bed...
No way to store beddings, just not enough cabinet space...well, I guess you can, but it takes away from any possibility of storing something else in there like clothes and whatnot...
No cabinet over the driver/cabin in the front
The rear cabinet is a way too small to be of use (about 4-5" deep, maybe good for storing the front window covers, that is it... no wonder it is used for the glasses and bottles in the TB trim).
The counter is smaller than the one we have in our Lounge.
Side benches are really there for making the bed. Only one, passenger side, can sit someone, but no seatbelt... the one on the left is covered by the cabinet and only useful for your feet when sleeping.

Maybe if we have gotten into something like this first... yeah... but coming from the EXT, we just can see us going smaller. And we spent a good hour inside just trying to see if we could make it work... We are just used to the size we have and the stuff we carry... and we have purchased stuff that collapses to almost nothing... we do no even take our Tommy chairs with us...

We did inquired on the new AI Ext TB... but right now theirs is worth every cent and ours is worth nothing... makes no financial sense to jump to the new one... So we will continue to modify our Lounge TB Ext...

Some things mentioned... We inquired on a 2020 TB Ext GT (GT, I know... with the kids not coming with us, we said "forget about it!! that additional counter space and storage is priceless)... A few comments from the sales manager:

7" vs 10" display... they can't predict which one a customer will get... right now they are at the mercy of Mercedes and what they can provide... so she told me that we will see 7 and 10 randomly... they build them on whatever display they get... functionality is supposed to be the same. The photos she showed me from the meeting they had a few weeks ago had one with the larger display.

The bed for all models, EXT included, is the new style...flatter and more comfortable.

New interior looks great... not talking about the TB, there is one that she showed me that looked amazing without being Tommy Bahama... she only had two photos... but looked great. Guess we will have to wait until Airstream website gets updated with all this...

She told me that Air Ride is now standard on the Ext...

Equipment is the same as 2019 for EXT... so EXT does not get the same multiplex system than the AI 19 nor the same heater/furnace... all the equipment currently in the 2018,2019 carries over to the 2020. Somehow I was expecting Airstream to streamline providers and equipment... guess not... either that or she did not understand my question...

There is a new bed for the front seat... not inflatable... I saw a photo but it was in the sales person's phone so do not have it to share... but looked like foldable thick foam pieces that made a nicer setup that the inflatable option...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #38

Orlando , Florida
Forgot the photos...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8558.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	341038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8562.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	341040  

Name:	IMG_8563.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	341041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8565.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	341042  

Name:	IMG_8564.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	341043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8559.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	341044  

WBCCI #26769
Old 05-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
wachuko,

Thanks for the review of the 2019 AI 19. Seems like the AI 19 is more of a 2 person weekender type vehicle. For extended stays with in Sprinter 144" would probably require a custom build which would cost roughly the same if not slightly cheaper.

I'm disappointed about the 10" display and but looking forward to doing some serious long weekend traveling. As stated in other topics, the electrical system is a negative and would've been nice to see a lithium power setup like the one on the Pleasure Way Ascent has in their 144" at a minimum.

I too would be very interested in hearing from AI 19 owners and their experiences.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
We just came back from seeing one... not something that would work for us...

... A few comments from the sales manager:

7" vs 10" display... they can't predict which one a customer will get... right now they are at the mercy of Mercedes and what they can provide... so she told me that we will see 7 and 10 randomly... they build them on whatever display they get... functionality is supposed to be the same. The photos she showed me from the meeting they had a few weeks ago had one with the larger display....

... She told me that Air Ride is now standard on the Ext...

That display info confirms what I said in post #29 above.

The VB Suspension representative at the ARV seminar also told me Airstream was making the VB Airsuspension standard on all their Sprinter B-vans.

Considering the current problems with Sprinter production it might be good to wait and buy new next year if you want all the new features. That is my current plan.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote