Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
wachuko,

Thanks for the review of the 2019 AI 19. Seems like the AI 19 is more of a 2 person weekender type vehicle. For extended stays with in Sprinter 144" would probably require a custom build which would cost roughly the same if not slightly cheaper.

I'm disappointed about the 10" display and but looking forward to doing some serious long weekend traveling. As stated in other topics, the electrical system is a negative and would've been nice to see a lithium power setup like the one on the Pleasure Way Ascent has in their 144" at a minimum.

I too would be very interested in hearing from AI 19 owners and their experiences.
Pardon if I extrapolate my experience with the 20ft. Chevy-based '2012 Avenue Suite which is nearly identical in floor plan and size to the AI 19.

You are correct it is two-person camper, although you can transport five. The main problem (as in all Interstates) is dash a/c flow to the rear passengers on hot days.

Based on Wachuko's report, the 19 lacks the overhead cab storage. While this opens the cab for a feeling of roominess, I'd hate to loose the large extra storage which we find necessary. Being a Chevy chassis, we'd also have to give up the outside storage as well that holds the water hose, toilet chemicals, and two small folding camp chairs.

Our bath is also a nice size, however, the 19 probably has better height being on the Sprinter Chassis.

Not sure on the bed length in the 19, but our Suite has a full 76" length by 69" width bed with no intrusions.

Wachuko's report of the obstructions under the rear seat is disappointing. The Suite has unobstructed 42" x 32" storage there. Maybe it's the Sprinter mounting requirements or enhanced safety, but at one time they were able to leave that area free.

It's good to see the 19's residential style faucet & sink. Also nice to have no external spare tire interfering with rear door access. Plus, if the 19 on the 2020 chassis has the power sliding door and other new features, those will be a nice upgrade. Unless they found space for increased battery capacity (4 agm's), then lack of a basic lithium upgrade is a big oversight.

In summary, you'd need to give up a lot of storage over the longer Interstate. That trade off decision might not make it worth the smaller size and maneuverability. Maybe they should bring back the 22' Sprinter?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Shorty to Avenue Floorplan Comparison.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	341107  

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Unless they found space for increased battery capacity (4 agm's), then lack of a basic lithium upgrade is a big oversight.
[/COLOR]
I've seen a couple of 2020 AI 19 build sheets and they both have 2 AGM batteries. Not only is the lithium an oversight but I believe the 1000 watt inverter is an oversight as well. Your being forced to run the generator for AC, microwave and any other power hungry device on board.

jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Dataw Island , South Carolina
Power sliding side door?

I am surprised that the new power sliding side door has not been mentioned. It may have been and I just missed it. On my former AI 19 it was impossible for my wife to close the side door so this feature if available will be a nice upgrade.
skiphoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #44
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphoyt View Post
I am surprised that the new power sliding side door has not been mentioned. It may have been and I just missed it. On my former AI 19 it was impossible for my wife to close the side door so this feature if available will be a nice upgrade.
That is in all 2020 chassis... and yes, a welcome addition!!! It has been mentioned. I did forget to call it out again when I made my comments.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #45

Orlando , Florida
I asked about 2020 EXT availability and this is the reply I received:

Quote:
My name is Steve Hartman, and I work for Airstream Region Sales. Thank you for your interest in the all-new Next Generation Sprinter Airstream Interstate.

Mercedes Benz is launching the all new chassis in phases. First the nineteen, then the cutaway, and last is the EXT. We expect to be in production with EXT’s in September. Airstream will publish specs and photo’s probably late this summer.
As others have mentioned, the dealer meeting happened a few weeks back and dealers got to see all this. Local dealer did share some of the photos from that event but I could not take the photos with me to share here...
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I guess no one has seen a new 19 first hand? I am still concerned about the configuration of the cab, and the absence of the 10.25" screen. When I go to the MB Sprinter site and build a similar sized cargo van, I noticed that the 10.25" screen is part of the Premium Plus package. If Airstream has chosen NOT to upgrade with this package, it also means there are other features missing that are must haves for me. I think this must be the case, rather than a "shortage" of parts as has been speculated here. Specifically, this package includes:

Traffic Sign Assist
Intelligent Navigation
MBUX Multimedia System with 10.25" touchscreen
Acoustic Package
Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC
Tray for Smartphones incl. wireless charging
Leather Steering Wheel
Parking Package
Instrument cluster with color display
Free map data updates for 3 years
Navigation

I for one must have the distronic. If anyone can tell me if any of these features are present on the new 19 chassis as configured by Airstream, I'd like to know.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Tomzstream,

I agree with you 110%. I’ve seen a couple of build sheets and neither one specifically mention most if not all the items you listed.

I guess the only way to make sure you get all those features is to order a van and have it customized to your specifications.

It’s going to be sometime before I get a schedule date so I’m hoping for the best outcome.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 AM   #48

Orlando , Florida
2020 AI 19 TB... new owners shared a few photos in Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EBA02B72-00EA-45BA-A557-6F1E735274B8.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	342077   Click image for larger version

Name:	44C1F59F-3C9E-41AA-91BE-60BD076B3AE0.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	342078  

Name:	040CCF67-4D9D-4E0B-A1D6-AA6E82A1923A.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	342079  
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
Tomzstream,

I agree with you 110%. I’ve seen a couple of build sheets and neither one specifically mention most if not all the items you listed.

I guess the only way to make sure you get all those features is to order a van and have it customized to your specifications.
Indeed! It was that exercise that led me to my conclusion.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
2020 AI 19 TB... new owners shared a few photos in Facebook.
Thanks for the photos. Did they say anything about purchase price?

Nice looking rig!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #51

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the photos. Did they say anything about purchase price?

Nice looking rig!

Peter
No mention of purchase price... I did ask them to post more photos and share their experience with it.
WBCCI #26769
Old 05-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
It seems it's hard to know for sure what the final models will look like. Hard to accept the uncertainties of coach and chassis amenities.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
I guess no one has seen a new 19 first hand? I am still concerned about the configuration of the cab, and the absence of the 10.25" screen. When I go to the MB Sprinter site and build a similar sized cargo van, I noticed that the 10.25" screen is part of the Premium Plus package. If Airstream has chosen NOT to upgrade with this package, it also means there are other features missing that are must haves for me. I think this must be the case, rather than a "shortage" of parts as has been speculated here...
It is more than speculation. Several buyers on the Sprinter-Source forum report being unable to get the Premium Plus package, but could order individual parts of the package, but not the 10.25" screen. Just because you can build it on the MB Sprinter web site does not mean the dealer can actually order it. Believe whatever you want but this is a good year to pass on getting a new Sprinter if you want the top end options.

Mercedes is really screwing themselves in the USA market. The new Sprinter is a high priced premium product and not offering the premium options is a mess. Anyone wanting a working van is buying a Ford Transit or Ram Promaster. RVs and custom builds are a major part of the Sprinter market in USA and Mercedes/Daimler is missing the boat.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
It is more than speculation. Several buyers on the Sprinter-Source forum report being unable to get the Premium Plus package, but could order individual parts of the package, but not the 10.25" screen. Just because you can build it on the MB Sprinter web site does not mean the dealer can actually order it. Believe whatever you want but this is a good year to pass on getting a new Sprinter if you want the top end options.

Mercedes is really screwing themselves in the USA market. The new Sprinter is a high priced premium product and not offering the premium options is a mess. Anyone wanting a working van is buying a Ford Transit or Ram Promaster. RVs and custom builds are a major part of the Sprinter market in USA and Mercedes/Daimler is missing the boat.
Mike,

You maybe right about passing on a 2020 AI 19 this year and wait on the 2021 AI 19. The counter argument would be is the 2020 AI 19 consider the normal setup moving forward. After reviewing the VIP private brochure again, nowhere in it does it mention 10.25" outside of the picture which alone seems deceptive. If they actually had 10.25" in actual print, that would be better.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:38 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Thanks for all the great feedback. As a potential buyer, all I want to know is if any of this year's models have the must haves. There are plenty of Class B+ with the 10.25 inch screens, and seemingly all of the Premium Plus features, however the source of these cab chassis platforms may vary. I think the Canadian manufacturers can source from Europe without the huge penalty that the US imposes. Yet Tiffin, based in Alabama, has several 2020 models in inventory with the same platform and equipment.

There was an article I posted a ways back that called into question how much of the so called US made Sprinters were actually being built from scratch in the Charleston plant, rather than reassembled. Perhaps the cab chassis are being imported and reassembled there.

At any rate, this still does not answer the question of whether Airstream is building, as standard equipment, a 19 with my must have requirement, specifically the Adaptive Cruise Control. Not buying another vehicle without it! We have a 2016 E350 wagon with it and love it.

My comment about speculation was simply that folks were using anecdotal evidence to make guesses of whether certain features were available (and so are the comments on the Sprinter B forum). I suppose it's possible that Airstream buys what they can, but if I were running a business that large, I would think I would make my orders match my needs, even if it meant delays in procurement, and PUBLISH the specs. Winnebago, Pleasure Way and others are yet to publish their specs although they have not officially released their new models. With the threat of additional import tariffs on European sourced cars and parts, and now Mexico, it seems the supply chain folks are going to lose a little sleep over the next few weeks and months. Uncertainty is not good for business.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
I reached out to my sales rep and he told me that Airstream will not be using the 10.25" media center in there AI 19 units, which is very disappointing.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I find myself increasingly disappointed in the 2020. Maybe it is just the lack of communication between airstream, dealers, customers. I especially worry that there will be an asterisk next to the Tommy Bahama - does not have the new seating style and only two seat belts in the back versus 3 in the other colors. No other color pallet is even appealing to me - not a grey/black person.
MLWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #58

Orlando , Florida
Cool

You all might have seen this... I just saw it... was not aware the way the wipers spray the water to the windshield had change... wow... So one more improvement on the 2020

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Has anyone who order a 2020 AI 19 received an official build date?
Old 06-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #60
old/new member

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Austin , Texas
I placed my order in February. Original "offline" date was May 30. Now due by end of June.

preedtx is offline   Reply With Quote