Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
2019 AI Streaming Devices

I hooked up a Roku stick to the available HDMI port on the rear tv on recent one week trip. Used iPhone as a Hot Spot and streamed Amazon Prime just fine. Then I realized the front tv was not connected, and then figured out the box on top of the DVD player above the driver’s seat was an HDMI box with four inputs with a remote control to select the channel. So, next project is installing an Apple TV and the Roku stick there so I can access them from both tv’s. Does anyone have any experience with such a setup or any tips before I start pulling things apart?
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Upgrade tv

We found the tv in the back was always in the way when walking down the aisle. I don’t understand why they didn’t rotate it 90 degrees so it didn’t stick out. I bought a new mount on amazon that allowed me to rotate the tv 90 degrees. Then figured out we could install a 32 inch tv to replace the 24 inch one it came with. Amazon has a Roku enabled 32 inch tv for $150. TCL 32S305 32-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU1GBLL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_-o33BbWVY06PX

We never use the tv at the front so I removed it. It’s easy to steam downloaded Netflix content if we are out of WiFi or stream Netflix if WiFi is decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6A78D3A5-96E6-4E15-8440-D42C39EE4C4F.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	327005   Click image for larger version

Name:	08A75D90-79F7-4A5F-B538-D88934A0A763.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	327006  

Camerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
I’m not sure how to rotate pictures so they aren’t on their side !
Old 11-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you use your edit function to crop the pictures down a bit before posting, they should post correctly.

Maggie
Old 11-05-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post
I hooked up a Roku stick to the available HDMI port on the rear tv on recent one week trip. Used iPhone as a Hot Spot and streamed Amazon Prime just fine. Then I realized the front tv was not connected, and then figured out the box on top of the DVD player above the driver’s seat was an HDMI box with four inputs with a remote control to select the channel. So, next project is installing an Apple TV and the Roku stick there so I can access them from both tv’s. Does anyone have any experience with such a setup or any tips before I start pulling things apart?

HIRSTPB - Using the HDMI switcher in the front is super easy. Just plug in your Roku or ATV into the hdmi in ports of the switcher, then the buttons on the front will allow you to switch to the input you want to use for each output (tv). This way you can watch the Roku in the back and a DVD in the front at the same time ( or whatever combination you want). Also, you can get a universal programmable remote like the one below, and configure all your devices including the switcher to automatically change to use the right inputs with one push of a button.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm.../dp/B004OVECU0
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We fried two televisions during the process of installing Apple TV correctly. My husband LB_3 can speak to those pitfalls. I don't recall whether it happened because of some feature unique to our older wiring system, or because appropriate equipment was not on the market at the time (we did this a couple of years ago). IRRC, we had to get a device fabricated by special order before it could be made to work. But it sure is nice to have it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post

I don’t know much about your setup but I solved a similar problem with this:

Goronya 3 Port HDMI Switch 3x1 Auto Switch with 1.4 Version Supports Full HD 4K 1080P 3D Player https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ER793NQ..._qTe4BbBXJ5EM5

In our 27FB TB all the audio video bits are installed above the table in cabinets and a box that are not accessible so I needed something that would detect which device I wanted to use and switch to it.

We now just turn on the device we want to use first. The automatic HDMI switch selects it and we can watch it on either TV. We have the factory installed Samsung DVD player and have added an Apple TV Gen 4 as well and have room to add more. Hope that helps!