Old 07-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Unhappy 2018AI Battery Death II

Batteries and solidoid replaced two weeks ago .
- Unit parked in sun fir two weeks; I touched nothing
—House dead after two weeks ; i check LP switch & it is on so I switch it off
—at airstreams advice I charged the AGM batteries for 90 min with charger then put unit on shore power for 13 hours
—Everything still black except Magnum comes on briefly displaying, No Comm. All other displays remain dark
—Unable to switch Magnum to any other display, Magnum goes dark
—Step is only electronic in house that contines to work
Question: any reason to believe trying the charge cycle again will make a difference? What shoukd I do if Magnum comes in again with the No Comm message again?
Thx

carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Please see my reply in your original thread. May I suggest that creating multiple threads about the same problems only complicates things, and makes your solution get further away?

Cheers,

Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...in-184285.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Batteries and solidoid replaced two weeks ago .

- Unit parked in sun fir two weeks; I touched nothing

—House dead after two weeks ; i check LP switch & it is on so I switch it off

—at airstreams advice I charged the AGM batteries for 90 min with charger then put unit on shore power for 13 hours

—Everything still black except Magnum comes on briefly displaying, No Comm. All other displays remain dark

—Unable to switch Magnum to any other display, Magnum goes dark

—Step is only electronic in house that contines to work

Question: any reason to believe trying the charge cycle again will make a difference? What shoukd I do if Magnum comes in again with the No Comm message again?

Thx

Not sure which of your threads I should respond to, but this one has a bit more info.

Yup - parking your Interstate for two weeks with LP switch ON will drain your new batteries. You said the solenoid was also replaced, which I assume was the battery isolation solenoid we often refers to as the BIM.

With really dead batteries it's possible that the 90 minutes on the battery charger didn't do anything. Many stand alone battery chargers will not charge a totally dead battery, which your certainly were. As other have mentioned you need to get a voltmeter on your batteries and see where you are. I'd bet your battery voltage would be near zero. If that is the case the Magnum will do nothing. I think it needs to see a least 10 volts to work.

The Magnum coming on briefly is just it trying to find the batteries. Since their voltage is so low it just won't work.

Tell us what brand/type of standalone battery charger your are using for the 90 minute charge. That might help us trouble-shoot more for you.

The step is powered by the Sprinter chassis battery so your seeing normal behavior for the step.

Two things to consider at this point.

1. Is that stand alone battery charger actually charging? If not try next step.

2. If it were my van at this point the best would be to drive the van for an hour or two. That might bring the batteries back to life. When I once had a really dead battery (zero volts) in a vehicle my Ctek charger would not charge the battery. Only a boost from another vehicle would bring the battery back to life enough to get it to a voltage that the Ctek charger would work. By driving the van you are in essence boosting the coach batteries.

Good luck - and I hope this helps.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Huntington Beach , CA
Just in case you were not aware, the propane switch should be ON only while cooking.
When done with cooking the propane switch should be OFF.

I consider this part of cooking on a boat/RV.

The propane solenoid consumes power when ON. You can determine that by touching it, as it gets warm when ON.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Coming back to what I suggested a couple of same topic threads ago .....

When you put a multimeter on the house battery what does it read? What does it read just sitting? What does it read with the converter turned on? What does it read with the engine running?

When you do the same readings on the starter battery under the same conditions, what readings do you get?

Now drop the charger on either battery and read the voltage. Wait 24 hours ( with the charger on the whole time) and read the voltage again. Next do the same thing to the other battery. Let us know ( in any of the many threads ) what the voltages are.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Agree with uncle_bob. You need to know the voltage on those coach batteries. Since the step is working and the OP can start this Sprinter the starter (chassis) battery might not be an issue.

Also I just recalled in other discussions a few weeks ago that the Magnum inverter/charger does not like being connected to a 120VAC power source without battery voltage on the 12VDC side. With totally flat (zero voltage) batteries the Magnum may already be damaged.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
2018AI Battery Death II

Nothing heard from carpenc (OP) in awhile now so maybe it's working. But here are some more items that might help if not. The Magnum "No Comm" error is very common in these circumstances. I'm attaching a page from the remote control manual about this error. Also a page from same manual on the "Dead Battery" error you might get once commas are reset. Note that if batteries are below 9 volts the Magnum will NOT charge.

Also attaching some images of pages from the inverter/charger manual that might help. The Magnum probably also needs to be reset if it is still working. Here is link for anyone who wants a soft copy of manual.
http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...Series_Web.pdf

... and the manual for the remote control.
http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/fil...token=UyKN-0gD

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	317166

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	317167

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	317168

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	317169

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	317170
Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you, I didnt realize the step was powered by chasis battery. I drove van for two hours to Orlando and it was still dead. They got it juiced after several hours of charging on a better charger and shore power —-it’s stll there on shore and I will puck it up in a few hours. I will now enable the store batteries button to be safe when I park it for any amout of time.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you for your help! Battery juiced by dealer’s stronger charger and hours more of driving and shore power.
I will be enabling stire battery every time I park it from now on!!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would strongly recommend spending the $20 on a multimeter at Lowes or Home Depot. A few quick checks could save you a lot of driving.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Thank you for your help! Battery juiced by dealer’s stronger charger and hours more of driving and shore power.
I will be enabling stire battery every time I park it from now on!!

Good to know you are making progress. While researching your problem I leaned the dead battery limit for the Magnum charger is anything less than 9 volts. I also checked the manual for my Ctek charger - it is 2 volts. Lesson - any modern electronically controlled battery charger has a minimum voltage before it will charge a battery. My old Sears charger that I bought in the 70's didn't have fancy electronics or lower voltage limit and it would charge a battery no matter how dead. I gave it to my son a few years ago.

Safe travels,
- - Mike
Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I would strongly recommend spending the $20 on a multimeter at Lowes or Home Depot. A few quick checks could save you a lot of driving.

Bob

This good advice - especially for situation OP encountered.

Normally on an Interstate you can check the voltage on each battery bank via the Monitor Panel - shown in attached image. But with a zero voltage condition on the coach batteries I'm not sure the voltmeter on the Monitor Panel would work.

I also realized today that my recommendation to drive the van to charge the dead coach batteries might not work. I'd bet the BIM requires a minimal voltage on the coach batteries to close the relay and connect the two battery bank, allowing charging by the Sprinter alternator.

Attachment 317261
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
This good advice - especially for situation OP encountered.

Normally on an Interstate you can check the voltage on each battery bank via the Monitor Panel - shown in attached image. But with a zero voltage condition on the coach batteries I'm not sure the voltmeter on the Monitor Panel would work.

I also realized today that my recommendation to drive the van to charge the dead coach batteries might not work. I'd bet the BIM requires a minimal voltage on the coach batteries to close the relay and connect the two battery bank, allowing charging by the Sprinter alternator.

Attachment 317261
Thank you!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I noticed that the image of the Monitor Panel I tried to attach to post #12 above didn’t make it. Maybe this will work.

Name:	IMG_4543.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	317383