Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
2018 upgrades to a 2017 AI

I asked my dealer service rep about adding the leather steering wheel and the generator resonator introduced on the 2018 models to my 2017 Interstate. He said ask Mercedes and Cummins dealers. I asked the Mercedes dealer and they said no steering wheel in their system. The Cummins dealer hasn’t yet responded. Where should I be able to get these parts and get them installed? Feel like I’m getting the runaround. Thanks.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Where should I be able to get these parts and get them installed? Feel like I’m getting the runaround. Thanks.
Simply do an internet search for the items. Here are several quick results:

Steering wheel

Resonator
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Resonator is easy to install yourself, or you can have a muffler shop do it. No need to take to a Cummins/Onan dealer.

Hold the resonator up against the generator exhaust pipe to see where it fits best and mark where to cut, unbolt the exhaust pipe at the generator, cut exhaust pipe at the two identified places, sand/steel wool the exhaust pipe OD so the resonator will slip over it (it is very tight fit, which is good), install U-clamps, re-bolt exhaust pipe to generator, install hanger clamps.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I asked the AS dealer about adding the resonator and the response I got was... it wasn't worth the effort, as in there's little improvement, so I'd like to hear from others if they thought it was worth it, and then I'll maybe go have a muffler shop do it.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
I asked the AS dealer about adding the resonator and the response I got was... it wasn't worth the effort, as in there's little improvement, so I'd like to hear from others if they thought it was worth it, and then I'll maybe go have a muffler shop do it.
It is not a dramatic change. Inside the van it's still noisy. Outside the van the sound is "less harsh" but definitely not quiet (i.e. Still embarrassingly loud at the campground)
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I used resonator P/N 155-2449 and measured the change with a sound app on my smart phone. I took measurements inside and outside, with no load on the generator and with the microwave running. There was little Db difference between idle and loaded, but the loaded generator had a sharper rap to it. Difference was up to 3 db when measured outside, and many websites say this difference is not discernable to the ear. Difference inside was 6 db. The resonator reduced the sharp 'rap' noise. It is still noisy, but I am no longer embarrassed to be running it in a campground or parking lot. A cheap and simple-to-install modification, and I would definitely do it again.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I looked at Pahaska's steering wheel link and thought, wow, that price seems to have come down relative to what people have posted historically. I've seen prices twice that high or more.

Then I noted the language on the webpage, "Steering wheels do not come with airbags, switches, wheel housing or wires..." so it's not clear to me which components of the steering wheel are being advertised for sale there, or how the exchange would be done. Plus they are requiring a core charge that could be as high as the wheel itself.

For reference, this alternative is the fifty buck solution, a leather cover from Wheelskins, on an older Interstate. I've been very happy with this (I installed it myself). Not as fancy as some options, but we've preferred to make the larger investments elsewhere in our rig.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
On the resonator topic, I should add that I'm biased because my frame of reference is a Yamaha 2400i which is very quiet. Not sure why Onan can't get close to the Hondas and Yamahas in sound suppression.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
+1 on the wheelskins. It takes an hour and some patience but the end result is much better than the original vinyl surface.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I used resonator P/N 155-2449 and measured the change with a sound app on my smart phone. I took measurements inside and outside, with no load on the generator and with the microwave running. There was little Db difference between idle and loaded, but the loaded generator had a sharper rap to it. Difference was up to 3 db when measured outside, and many websites say this difference is not discernable to the ear. Difference inside was 6 db. The resonator reduced the sharp 'rap' noise. It is still noisy, but I am no longer embarrassed to be running it in a campground or parking lot. A cheap and simple-to-install modification, and I would definitely do it again.
Very thorough response... thank you Titus !

BTW, a 3db change is equal to 1/2 or 2x the sound pressure level so I think that would be noticeable.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
I asked my dealer service rep about adding the leather steering wheel and the generator resonator introduced on the 2018 models to my 2017 Interstate. He said ask Mercedes and Cummins dealers. I asked the Mercedes dealer and they said no steering wheel in their system. The Cummins dealer hasn’t yet responded. Where should I be able to get these parts and get them installed? Feel like I’m getting the runaround. Thanks.
Steering wheel part number is 906-464-06-01-9E38, has to be special ordered from Germany. I bought from www.benzpartsforless.com $575 shipped to my door.

Cummins part can be bought on amazon $45:
https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-Power...ation+155-2449
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Then I noted the language on the webpage, "Steering wheels do not come with airbags, switches, wheel housing or wires..." so it's not clear to me which components of the steering wheel are being advertised for sale there, or how the exchange would be done. Plus they are requiring a core charge that could be as high as the wheel itself.
You simply move all of those parts to the new wheel. The refundable core charge is about par for the course.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Not sure why Onan can't get close to the Hondas and Yamahas in sound suppression.
I'm guessing Onan builds to a price point, along with a spec point, and together they conspire to result in a unit that's "good enough" to pass the sound checks and that's it. Given their virtual monopoly on the RV genset business (how did THAT happen?), you get what we have: Marginal gennies that could be a LOT better if 1) they had any competition what so ever, and/or 2) if sound restrictions tighten to the point where they no longer pass. Specifically: Generators must conform to National Park Service regulations pertaining to audio disturbances, which states that "motorized equipment or machinery cannot exceed a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet" (36 CFR 2.12). Personally, I'd like to see #2 happen, but I doubt it will happen in my life time......

Back to the topic of the resonator, as others have said, I think the issue is one of tone vs. actual db levels. Watching (and listening) to the various YouTube videos on this topic has me convinced that while adding a resonator may not make much difference in measured db output, the sound it makes is less annoying because it's less "raspy". My solution will be to remove the genny entirely, but that's a whole different (and very long) discussion.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Welded in resonator and painted with high temp paint. I have not started the generator to listen for any sound change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180105_064310.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	303142  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Interior generator noise

A cheap and much larger comfort improvement can be made with acoustic insulation in the generator mount under the van. My local RV shop cut some "horse blanket" rubber to fit. It greatly reduces the interior noise, and vibration, when the generator is running. Highly recommended.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #16
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Thanks all! I’ve ordered the resonator - for $50 even a small improvement is worth it.

The steering wheel is no longer available on the benzpartsforless website and a google search of the part number didn’t reveal another online seller. May contact Airstream or double back to my Mercedes dealer with the part number. I saw a 2018 steering wheel in person and liked it a lot and I prefer OEM so going to go that route even if pricier. I spend a lot of time with my hands on that wheel...
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
A cheap and much larger comfort improvement can be made with acoustic insulation in the generator mount under the van. My local RV shop cut some "horse blanket" rubber to fit. It greatly reduces the interior noise, and vibration, when the generator is running. Highly recommended.
Do you have a product reference for "horse blanket rubber"? What is the substance exactly? You may have stated this elsewhere on the forum; if so, I missed it...
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Do you have a product reference for "horse blanket rubber"? What is the substance exactly? You may have stated this elsewhere on the forum; if so, I missed it...
Guessing is another Dynamat-like product.

I am doing part of the task today... You can get rid of some of the resonance/vibration noise by adding some rubber mounts/vibration isolators and also adding some sound deadening material to wrap generator. All this will help with the sound and the resonance you hear/feel inside the AI...

A threads on this. Take a look at the pdf in the thread. Photos show the two materials used:

Acoustic lining
And Dynamat deadening mat - in my case, I am going with a similar product but a bit less costly... sound deadening mat

Post #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
I modified the generator's mounts and did a little insulating today and was able to get a 4.5 decibel reduction inside the van and maintain the reduced vibration level I had previously accomplished. Pretty good outcome. Here are the details. Wife and I sat int he back today with the gen running and had a normal conversation.

The iPhone Apps are not that reliable for decibel readings, but the delta should be relatively close.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
and also adding some sound deadening material to wrap generator.
Is there any concern over heat dissipation with this approach? Are we sure the engineers at Onan don't expect certain surfaces to be cooled by outside air, and wrapping the little beast in batting of some sort may prevent this? I realize we don't like these units, but at $2500 to replace it, maybe some caution is warranted.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #20
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Is there any concern over heat dissipation with this approach? Are we sure the engineers at Onan don't expect certain surfaces to be cooled by outside air, and wrapping the little beast in batting of some sort may prevent this? I realize we don't like these units, but at $2500 to replace it, maybe some caution is warranted.....
I have been leaving this part to be the last... I want to see how much vibration/resonance is eliminated by the rubber inserts and washers...

When I look at the application of the sound deadening material, what I see is that it is usually installed on the inside of the enclosure, not on the outside. I am concerned with, the one that is a thick foam, retaining water... But Mcrider did it and working fine for him. He measured before and after and there was a significant reduction... and I really want that.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote