Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
When in storage, we leave a float charger (trickle charger) connected to our chassis battery in addition to plugging into shore power for house batteries... is this a good idea or not? So far, it's kept things going well.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
When in storage, we leave a float charger (trickle charger) connected to our chassis battery in addition to plugging into shore power for house batteries... is this a good idea or not? So far, it's kept things going well.
If you want to keep all of your batteries connected while in storage, that's the best way to do it. It's those of us with no shore power that have to get "creative" when our coach isn't in use.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It IS ridiculous! My aftermarket Viper alarm system with multiple sensors takes between 2 and 3 weeks to kill the chassis battery dead enough that the engine won't start. How can your radio— that's not even playing— possibly draw enough power to do the same in just 3 days?

These type of head units typically draw 2-3A when on and that would easily drain the starter battery in a few days.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
These type of head units typically draw 2-3A when on and that would easily drain the starter battery in a few days.
This is just a guess, but I'd say the Fusion is pulling in the neighborhood of 500mA when in "sleep 2" (long press of power icon, or ignition off/house power off). I think our chassis battery is in the neighborhood of 100Ah, so in about 100hrs, or roughly 4 days, it would be down to 50%. By day 5-6, you probably wouldn't be able to start the coach without connecting the house batteries to help. This seems to jive with what people are actually seeing, which is basically a dead chassis battery in under a week.

It's sad to think that Fusion designed their unit with so little regard for power consumption. It's a bit like Microsoft's Windows development team having total disregard for memory. They think it's free, so it's nothing to them if you need 4-8GB of memory just to run Windows 10. Same deal with the Fusion. 500mA of "sleep" current? Really?? To do what, monitor the press of a soft button on the touchscreen??? Based on what I've seen of Fusion's software, I'm not surprised their hardware is just as sloppy. To fix it they would need to add a physical switch that cuts power to the unit. Given that Garmin bought them, I don't see that happening any time soon. That leaves it to the owners to install a switch of their own. When I get some spare time, I may just do that....
Old 08-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
This is just a guess, but I'd say the Fusion is pulling in the neighborhood of 500mA when in "sleep 2" (long press of power icon, or ignition off/house power off). I think our chassis battery is in the neighborhood of 100Ah, so in about 100hrs, or roughly 4 days, it would be down to 50%. By day 5-6, you probably wouldn't be able to start the coach without connecting the house batteries to help. This seems to jive with what people are actually seeing, which is basically a dead chassis battery in under a week.

It's sad to think that Fusion designed their unit with so little regard for power consumption. It's a bit like Microsoft's Windows development team having total disregard for memory. They think it's free, so it's nothing to them if you need 4-8GB of memory just to run Windows 10. Same deal with the Fusion. 500mA of "sleep" current? Really?? To do what, monitor the press of a soft button on the touchscreen??? Based on what I've seen of Fusion's software, I'm not surprised their hardware is just as sloppy. To fix it they would need to add a physical switch that cuts power to the unit. Given that Garmin bought them, I don't see that happening any time soon. That leaves it to the owners to install a switch of their own. When I get some spare time, I may just do that....
The definitive analysis, I think. This is consistent with my experience.

Now, if you could just identify the right wire to cut . . .
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
THE DVD PLAYER - warning and suggestions

DVD - basically junk

While trying to figure out the TV/DVD system, I finally figured out that you have to change the TV input to HDMI 1 to get the player to show. Once there, I tried three things. Trying to figure out if the DVD player was on or off - there is no light on the box, inserting a DVD, (my player refused to open the door) playing a DVD (my player would never actually do that) and hook it up to the Internet so at least i could stream Netflicks (you have to HARD WIRE it! really!!)

The player is cheap and only cost $50 at Best Buy, A $150,000 coach and they put a WWII non-WIFI cheapo DVD in it!

I had to unplug mine and let it reset itself so it would actually come on. It never played a DVD, and the frustration level hit about 8 on a scale of 10. So I suggest if you have not yet purchased, negotiate for a decent player. If you are going to pick up a new delivery, bring a DVD and test it. If you already have the coach, go find a new DVD player that support WIFI. I am headed to Best Buy.
hmason72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason72 View Post
DVD - basically junk
I disagree. Mine works fine, and has from day 1. Daughter used it every day on our recent 8 day trip with zero problems. Scooby Doo theme song is still stuck in my head..... "Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you...."...AHHHHH!!!!

Yes, you have to switch your TV input from Antenna to HDMI 1. That's because the DVD player is connected to the TV through the HDMI switch box. Why is that a problem??? You have to do that on your TV at home too if you have an external antenna and HDMI sources (TiVo, Apple TV, DVD, game system, etc).

And yes, if you want internet in your coach, you need a WiFi signal booster to pull in free WiFi from the campground, library, coffee shop...where ever you happen to be parked, or a cellular modem (and possibly a cell signal booster) to convert a cell data signal into WiFi. Both have hard wired network ports to connect your gear to. Tuck it up in the compartment above the cab with the DVD player and HDMI switch box and you're good to go. Again....not sure why this is a problem unless for some reason you thought these coaches came with WiFi???
Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
DVD - basically junk
I would say that this is a shining example of operator trouble (temped to say ignorance.) There is nothing wrong with the components. It is obvious that you have to select the HDMI input on the TV to watch DVDs and it is obvious that the HDMI switch must point to the appropriate TV (if you have 2 TVs.) Read the instructions to learn how to open the DVD player.

I just came in from watching a DVD while waiting out hurricane--level rains at the storage yard. Mine has been flawless from day one.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
I agree with the comments except the part about operator error. The installed DVD was never checked out, and was determined to be faulty. For the same money, there are DVD players that have wireless WIFI capability built in. I have had one for about 3 years. So, while the need to switch to a diferent input was ignorance, the outdated and faulty DVD is something that could stand both an update and a checkout before delivery.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Panama City Beach , Florida
I have a fix from Airstream that I did and it fixed my issue with draining the chassis battery. PM me and I can send you the file with pictures. Your Fusion is misfired and you need to swap wires around to get it to work.
tk.1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Interesting! I didn't know Airstream incorporated the thermostat function into the new multiplex panel. Push Auto twice to turn it off?? Umm....they need to work on their UI 'cause that's not the least bit intuitive.

You might want to check to see if doing this turns the fridge off. On my coach, turning off the house power via the Main Disconnect also cuts power to the fridge, so house power has to stay on while I'm traveling.
It does cut power to the fridge. The disconnect seems like a prudent step when parking the coach in the evening when there is no shore power hook up and you are not occupying the coach (and you don't have anything in the fridge or freezer). I park it for a couple of days between trips, and it is inside (no sun) so I use that switch when I put it in the storage area between trips.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
For the same money, there are DVD players that have wireless WIFI capability built in.
They have lots of choices on components. With all of its "idiosyncrasies", I still like the choice of the Fusion infotainment system. It's better than most systems in today's B vans. Samsung TV's are also a nice choice. The 4x4 HDMI switch box has gotten some hate from people on this forum, but frankly I find it a nice little unit that allows a lot of flexibility, albeit at the expense of come complexity. Could they have installed a "better" DVD player? That's a totally subjective question/answer. Does "better" mean more features, better picture quality, better longevity, better able to resist shock and vibration? Personally I'd rather have a DVD player that doesn't skip and jump all over the place because it can't handle being driven down the road. Maybe Airstream tested other brands and found this one to be the "best" in all of these respects (or at least the "best" compromise among them).

The point is, if you don't like what they put in, do as you've done and go buy whatever you want. There's nothing stopping you. Good luck getting it to connect to a WiFi signal (weak signal trying to punch through van walls....not a promising setup) without adding a booster or your own internal WiFi network, but if that's what you want, by all means go buy it. I think what we're reacting to is you calling it "junk", because for most of us, it appears to work just fine (though I will admit, a few times I wished ours would die so I could be freed from the Scooby Doo abuse, LOL ).

Both my dealer and I checked out the DVD player (and TVs, fridge, microwave, water, sewer, etc etc....2 hours worth of inspection and operational review) prior to me taking possession. You and/or your dealer apparently didn't do that, so shame on you. And yes, shame on Airstream QC because that's the sort of thing that gives them (or any coach builder) a bad name and could be so easily avoided with a more thorough inspection prior to leaving the factory. But just because the DVD player doesn't have a power light (yeah, that's a head scratcher) and WiFi doesn't make it "junk", just "odd"....
Old 08-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk.1217 View Post
I have a fix from Airstream that I did and it fixed my issue with draining the chassis battery. PM me and I can send you the file with pictures. Your Fusion is misfired and you need to swap wires around to get it to work.
How about posting it on the forum? If I remember right they give you a little storage space for posting files and it seems like this would help a few folks.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:19 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
[QUOTE=hmason72;1999648]DVD - basically junk

While trying to figure out the TV/DVD system, I finally figured out that you have to change the TV input to HDMI 1 to get the player to show.

Early on the learning curve I was frustrated as you are. We have a mobile Dish satellite and I knew the HDMI switch had to be changed to view DVD's. There is the cable box in the mix of wires everywhere causing more confusion. On our first trip I could get nothing to work and became very irate. In checking for loose connections I removed the wood stand as it just took up to much space. Back at home I got the satellite installer on the phone and as usual it worked perfectly. In the end I figured out the HDMI switch would hang up occasionally and not work. I just pull the 1/8" power plug out and it will reset itself.

Hang in there !!!! Get all the kinks worked out and the "Road Trip" memories will be great
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
Very true. I think they tried to make battery management so transparent to the user that it actually makes it unmanageable. As configured, you can only plug in, run the generator, run the engine, or kill all the power to the coach for storage. Otherwise your batteries will drain much more quickly.

When not plugged in, I have found three things that seem to help keep the batteries going. 1) I have a 200W solar suitcase that I connect directly to the house batteries. 2) I turn off the gas (behind the rear wheel) when not in use. 3) I installed a switch to disconnect the batteries from the inverter when 120V is not needed. You're on your own with the radio. Mine does turn off with a switch on the front. I got lucky there.

Hi LtW:
I recently bought a solar suitcase system that i want to connect to the house batteries. I was wondering if you could share pictures or schematics on how you set yours up.
Thanks in advance for any info
Luis
lelaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
New Interstate Grand Tour EXT Owner & New to RVing

I'm more than a little late to this party, but then again I just purchased my 2018 Interstate Grand Tour EXT on 8.28.18.

Hoping some of you may still be eyeballing this thread.

Prior to sharing my questions/comments, I will review the "Airstream Life Guide" by Rich Luhr that Protagonist recommended many moons ago...if a more updated version of this type of reference exists, I'm all ears.
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote