Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanf17 View Post
I have the same issue on my 2018 interstate and was hoping someone would post a solution
ROMANF17 - I am trying to find cams that could give similar resolution as my Nexar Halo dashcam but not having any luck if it is to fit in same low profile 3rd light. Here's sample of night low light from my dashcam. And this was through a tinted front windshield. I think it not bad. I may just have to cannibalize a perfectly good dashcam and pull the lense out. Prefer not to do that if I can source a suitable aftermarket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_225202.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	327812  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
FPV Cameras

Alex et al,

Here's a treasure trove of products used by the drone and RC plane industry. Lenses, cameras, mounts, antennas...

I'm hoping you smarter guys will find some way to "EASILY" improve the rear camera setup and can prescribe and document the how-to. Dreaming of a less wide angle and wireless solution.

https://www.getfpv.com/fpv/cameras.html?in-stock=1
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Alex et al,

Here's a treasure trove of products used by the drone and RC plane industry. Lenses, cameras, mounts, antennas...

I'm hoping you smarter guys will find some way to "EASILY" improve the rear camera setup and can prescribe and document the how-to. Dreaming of a less wide angle and wireless solution.

https://www.getfpv.com/fpv/cameras.html?in-stock=1
TRONADORA - Will check out link you sent. Thanks. Originally thought of replacing only the cam 'eye' in the high mounted brake light. But that is proving hard (not to implement) but to get right part with improved resolution (minimum 720p). My current thinking (for now) is to go low center mount, at hitch. This will give a better approach angle POV for parking and seeing obstructions on ground and have a more traditional mirror POV. Will do some testing soon. Lots winter AI projects, so not sure how soon
Old 11-22-2018, 05:11 AM   #24
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Sucks no longer having the AI parked in the drive way... so many things,like this one, that I would be testing...

Hurry up Alex!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Sucks no longer having the AI parked in the drive way... so many things,like this one, that I would be testing...

Hurry up Alex!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
WACHUKO - Waiting for parts I ordered. Will PM you on results of testing (after Thanksgiving) if I get some promising improvements. Happy Thanksgiving also.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
WACHUKO, et. al - received lots of parts for AI. Trying to get a few different mods in, so will create new threads for them as I go along. I am way behind my documenting due to limited time during holidays.

I got some of my camera parts in - the wireless xmitter & receiver. It comes with a cheapo cam. My low-lux cam is on backorder. So for now, just testing connectivity & operation. Since the mod I am doing is actually to have 2 rear cams, 1 at roof (original AI cam constantly monitored by windshield monitor) & 1 at bumper (wireless cam monitored by Fusion only during reverse) I have created separate thread for the mod. I will post images taken from my low-luxn cam on the thread below when that cam arrives.

Add 2nd Rear Low-Lux Cam at bumper, Monitored by Fusion
Old 11-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #27
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Cool! Looking forward to the updates.

I have been keeping busy progressing the other projects I have...pretty excited with that since these are projects that have been sitting at a stand still since 2015.

1967 Porsche 912 Engine is done! Waiting on my friend to finish the body work
1981 Porsche 911 Installed engine, transmission and exhaust back in the car...now working on oil lines, oil cooler, and other small stuff to get it ready for that first start up...
Father-in-law has a Schwinn bicycle that he was not using... I came across some videos of people installing engines in them... could not resist... installed an engine on his, lol.

This weekend I plan to drive the AI to warm it up and exercise everything. I take it to the local dump station and run the macerator, turn on the generator, A/C, etc. I also want to check tire pressure (with temps coming down this is always something needing adjustment). And I want to give it a nice wash...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Cool! Looking forward to the updates.

I have been keeping busy progressing the other projects I have...pretty excited with that since these are projects that have been sitting at a stand still since 2015.

1967 Porsche 912 Engine is done! Waiting on my friend to finish the body work
1981 Porsche 911 Installed engine, transmission and exhaust back in the car...now working on oil lines, oil cooler, and other small stuff to get it ready for that first start up...
Father-in-law has a Schwinn bicycle that he was not using... I came across some videos of people installing engines in them... could not resist... installed an engine on his, lol.

This weekend I plan to drive the AI to warm it up and exercise everything. I take it to the local dump station and run the macerator, turn on the generator, A/C, etc. I also want to check tire pressure (with temps coming down this is always something needing adjustment). And I want to give it a nice wash...
WACHUKO - You are one busy body, don't know how you juggle such big projects, very good for you (“idle hands are the devil’s workshop"). Gotta post pics of that Schwinn mod in your Journey thread. Funny I am more interested in that than your Supercars pics. But I want to see those too when you finish them

FYI - Low-lux cam arrives this Fri, will get to it asap, kinda excited if this pans out. The 2nd cam setup is already working as expected, so it's only a matter of whether the low-lux cam will provide a much better night vision image.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #29

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Costa Mesa , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO, et. al - received lots of parts for AI. Trying to get a few different mods in, so will create new threads for them as I go along. I am way behind my documenting due to limited time during holidays.

I got some of my camera parts in - the wireless xmitter & receiver. It comes with a cheapo cam. My low-lux cam is on backorder. So for now, just testing connectivity & operation. Since the mod I am doing is actually to have 2 rear cams, 1 at roof (original AI cam constantly monitored by windshield monitor) & 1 at bumper (wireless cam monitored by Fusion only during reverse) I have created separate thread for the mod. I will post images taken from my low-luxn cam on the thread below when that cam arrives.

Add 2nd Rear Low-Lux Cam at bumper, Monitored by Fusion

I have same issue obviously, and wondering if there has been any improvement on the back camera issue. I am a new owner of a 1 year old and GT and the 2 issues that I want resolved asap are back camera, and...anyone ever look into a sliding power door. I am not a fan of being inside and having to reach all the way back to try to close it. Not a big deal, but hey. I like things perfect. Any help is appreciated.
njsecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #30
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My rear camera on my 2018 GT is kind of fuzzy with less contrast than I would expect. The side mirror cameras are both sharp with great contrast.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Long time since I last posted, because I haven't been using my Airstream. I did take a trip recently and it seemed that the rear view camera has gotten worse, if that's even possible. Its almost impossible to see anything behind me. I went up on a ladder to see if it was dirt buildup on the sensor, or if there is a plastic cover over the sensor that got dirty. No dice, made no difference. I unscrewed the cover that holds the camera in place, and the electrical harness is so tight, I couldn't see how or where it is connected and didn't want to open Pandora's box right before a trip.

I do need to go into the service center for a super squeaky back seat, and some cabinets that were poorly aligned at the factory, so I think I'll ask about either replacing my current camera, or upgrading to the 2019 version.

I am so used to using a backup camera in my daily driver and rely on it heavily, not entirely though. If its something that can be improved for a few hundred bucks, I will do it because its a little more piece of mind that I'm not backing into something or someone (little) as I have youngsters.

If I have anything interesting come out of my service appointment, I will let everyone know. I am apprehensive to go alternative aftermarket system at the moment, because I bought an RV with a system, that clearly has an issue. I do not know if its poor quality of the camera sensor, or something in the wiring harness.
AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsecor View Post
anyone ever look into a sliding power door. I am not a fan of being inside and having to reach all the way back to try to close it. Not a big deal, but hey. I like things perfect. Any help is appreciated.

NJSECOR - I suggest adding the little machined bump stop that many of us have done. That way, you can reach the handle to close the sliding door from inside. Works great !

http://www.nortonfab.com/?product=sp...-van-door-stop
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
san diego , California
2017 rear camera

My camera was pointing down too much so that half of the view was the rear doors. I removed it and tilted it much more upward. This required some considerable gerry rigging. Then I found that it was affected by strong sunlight. So I put a black 'cover' (more gerry rigging) on top of the camera. This meant that the top half of the display was black but it improved the picture quality dramatically (daytime operations)
During this operation I unintentionally cut the video wiring (it is super delicate). I soldered the wires back together. Assuming it is using standard signaling it should be possible to replace the camera.
My setup looks pretty ugly but works so much better. Now my only complaint is that any car that is a few car lengths behind is tiny on the screen and so is difficult to see when driving.
My vehicle shadow when present is still very strong.
CorkWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Camera issues - fixed for now

Update on my rear camera: took it into service and they determined that moisture had gotten into the lens (not sure the mechanism), and they replaced the camera under warranty. It looks a heck of a lot better, and probably how it should have from the beginning.

For all others experiencing blurry rear camera issues, I would take it in. If it wasn't covered under warranty, it looks like it would cost a little over $200 to replace the camera + labor. Worth the money, having the ability to see what your backing into.

Note that they didn't position it to well (pointing a little sideways), so I'm going to have to venture up on the ladder to straighten it out.
AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGT View Post
Update on my rear camera: took it into service and they determined that moisture had gotten into the lens (not sure the mechanism), and they replaced the camera under warranty. It looks a heck of a lot better, and probably how it should have from the beginning.

For all others experiencing blurry rear camera issues, I would take it in. If it wasn't covered under warranty, it looks like it would cost a little over $200 to replace the camera + labor. Worth the money, having the ability to see what your backing into.

Note that they didn't position it to well (pointing a little sideways), so I'm going to have to venture up on the ladder to straighten it out.
AIRSTREAMGT - Great news! Check my other thread that I previously mentioned, in case you have a desire to supplement the roof mounted one with a bumper height view. I find it useful and just completed my mod to use the Fusion display for the 2nd cam without affecting the roof mounted one being constantly monitored from windshield mounted monitor.

Add 2nd Rear Low-Lux Cam at bumper, Monitored by Fusion[/QUOTE]
Old 07-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
I just installed a Haloview system and it has good quality video in the monitor. I have a 16' trailer so easier to communicate with camera. Have not yet driven at night. I am sure others have done this but I wasn't happy with monitor blocking views while driving. A couple of hair bands hold the monitor on the mirror.
I have a couple pictures will try to figure out how to post them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190701_130107362.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	345070  
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Comparing OEM to Aftermarket

Comparing OEM to Aftermarket

OEM Rooftop counted image below, fed into OEM windshield mounted monitor.

Name:	20190701_173050.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	345111

Aftermarket license plate light assembly flush mounted cam image below, fed into Fusion head unit.

Name:	20190701_173106.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	345112