Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
2018 Airstream Interstate Question and Some Facts

My question, where is the headphone jack located on a Grand Tour?

Fact; in 2018, the rear view camera does NOT have the guide lines. My only guess is the lines caused accidents. I will say the camera make cars and objects look really far away.
Fact: XM radio is free for 90 days. The issue is we the client need to call XM to get it. Also, never transfer service from another car to you IS, instead cancel your service, gain new service on your new AI, then have them put you credit balance for your cancelled car as a credit for your coach.
Fact: the little fold out table is no longer available on aTommy Bahama has

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
Fact: the little fold out table is no longer available on a Tommy Bahama
I emailed Airstream and was able to order it. It is a custom order from Airstream. It is a long wait, but they will make it for any customer that wants it.

Glacier Ice Corian flip shelf part number 602233-07 - Tommy Bahama edition does not come with the extended counter piece due to the under counter lights mounted. Had to be custom ordered in matching counter top color. It will come with all required hardware.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
My question, where is the headphone jack located on a Grand Tour?

Fact; in 2018, the rear view camera does NOT have the guide lines. My only guess is the lines caused accidents. I will say the camera make cars and objects look really far away.
It's not that the lines caused accidents, or that the lack of lines prevents them. It's that it's the wrong type of camera for the guide lines.

The downward-looking rear-view camera mounted above the rear doors has a fisheye lens, and guide lines for backing up would be distorted. I never use the camera for backing up on mine; I use the camera as a substitute for an inside rearview mirror when driving forward. For backing up, I do like truckers and FedEx or UPS drivers, and back using side mirrors only— but only after getting out and looking to see what's behind me that I might need to avoid.

But both my Interstate and my toad (my only vehicles) both predate those fancy backup cameras with the guide lines. Or blind spot cameras. Or lane-assist warnings. They were built when drivers were expected to drive, and not just sit in the seat (meaning no disrespect to you, it's just a pet peeve of mine that once drivers are exposed to those gizmos, they expect EVERY vehicle they drive to have them, and seemingly forget how to drive without them). In point of fact, those gizmos do make drivers safer, as long as said drivers use them as an aid to good driving and not as a crutch to make up for bad driving.

A proper rear-view camera for backing, with guide lines, would be mounted lower, around the license plate on an Interstate, and not have a fisheye lens and therefore not provide a distorted view. If you can't get by without a camera with guide lines for backing, I suggest buying and mounting one separately, and using it as an auxiliary input to your existing rearview monitor— which is still adequate for the rest of the time when the gearshift is not in reverse.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I agree that the camera is distorted, but I find it to be very helpful for backing up too. It simply takes some getting used to.

If you can see the car in another lane in the camera you can pull into that lane without hitting the other car, but you will get (and deserve) a nasty look, honking, and likely the finger.

If I were to add another camera it would be placed on the propane box behind the rear wheel so I can see if/when it will drag on a parking bumper or curb as I back into a spot. Grrr.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Wow, hell of a comprehensive comment response. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's not that the lines caused accidents, or that the lack of lines prevents them. It's that it's the wrong type of camera for the guide lines.

The downward-looking rear-view camera mounted above the rear doors has a fisheye lens, and guide lines for backing up would be distorted. I never use the camera for backing up on mine; I use the camera as a substitute for an inside rearview mirror when driving forward. For backing up, I do like truckers and FedEx or UPS drivers, and back using side mirrors only— but only after getting out and looking to see what's behind me that I might need to avoid.

But both my Interstate and my toad (my only vehicles) both predate those fancy backup cameras with the guide lines. Or blind spot cameras. Or lane-assist warnings. They were built when drivers were expected to drive, and not just sit in the seat (meaning no disrespect to you, it's just a pet peeve of mine that once drivers are exposed to those gizmos, they expect EVERY vehicle they drive to have them, and seemingly forget how to drive without them). In point of fact, those gizmos do make drivers safer, as long as said drivers use them as an aid to good driving and not as a crutch to make up for bad driving.

A proper rear-view camera for backing, with guide lines, would be mounted lower, around the license plate on an Interstate, and not have a fisheye lens and therefore not provide a distorted view. If you can't get by without a camera with guide lines for backing, I suggest buying and mounting one separately, and using it as an auxiliary input to your existing rearview monitor— which is still adequate for the rest of the time when the gearshift is not in reverse.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
both my Interstate and my toad (my only vehicles) both predate those fancy backup cameras with the guide lines

My 2007 Toyota has guide lines, but they stay in place.
The newer vehicles have guide lines that move with the steering wheel to show where you are headed.
I think this just depends on which camera, monitor, or software you have.
The higher trim level cars have more features, including guide lines and moving guide lines.
Every car I get into seems to have a slightly different fish eye view and I have to get acclimated to that particular car's camera in relation to what I see in the mirrors and what I see out the mirrors, just as you have to acclimate yourself to the convex spot mirror view and adjust the mirrors to the best view of the end of the truck and the trailer tires to always know where your trailer tires are to prevent hitting the curb, ditch, sign post, tree, parked car, etc.
I use the side mirrors and the rear view mirror when backing in to a parking spot.
In the car, I stop just shy of the curb.
In the pickup, I stop when I see my Rock Tamers mud flaps touch the curb or before the trailer hitch sticks out into the path of people walking by.
The camera does not replace the side mirrors for centering the vehicle between the lines, but helps to know exactly when to stop.
The camera does not replace side mirrors, but enhances or aids.
We did drive 30 years before we had such a thing.
The camera does not replace a walk around before you enter your vehicle or stopping and getting out to walk behind your vehicle and look.
The camera does not replace looking over your shoulder out the window or sticking your head out the window and looking back.
The camera does not replace good habits.
I still do all of those even with the camera.
Do I like the camera and enjoy it?
Certainly I do.
I also like the little toggle switch that switches the monitor between the truck's rear view camera and the trailer's rear view camera.
I use the truck's rear view camera when coupling to the trailer and when backing in a turn to make sure I'm not turning too sharp. It lets me turn just as tight as possible without bending something.
I use the trailer's rear view camera for seeing what's behind the trailer as I am traveling on the roads and for backing into a campsite.
When backing into a campsite, I toggle back and forth between truck rear view and trailer rear view- to make sure I'm not turning too tight and to know when to stop- trailer bumper just before the end of the pad.
I still get and and do a walk around surveying the surroundings.
It just helps or enhances already developed good habits.
I still get my wife to get out and tell me when to stop. I tell her to put her open palm hand up when the bumper gets here or the stabilizer gets here.
She's used to the drill.
You should always have passengers get out and spot you when backing.
When you are alone, you have to get out and look around.
Good habits...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
both my Interstate and my toad (my only vehicles) both predate those fancy backup cameras with the guide lines
Allow me to correct myself— Both my 2011 Sprinter/2012 Interstate and my 2013 Honda Fit toad predate when backup cameras with guide lines (moving or fixed) were offered on those makes/models.

Thank you for pointing out my careless choice of phrasing. Precision is important.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Not really correcting at all, but agreeing.
My 2014 Toyota has fixed lines on the base model, but higher models of the same car have moving lines.
Some models have seat vibrators that go off if you get too close.
These models may also warn you if you are drifting out of your lane and may have adaptive cruise control or braking that cause the vehicle to slow down or stop if it senses a danger or thins you are too close. Some of these you can adjust the distance at which the braking kicks in.
Again, none of those features is a replacement for goo driving habits, but are cool gadgets nonetheless.
Some models back the trailer for you.
Some models have a 360 degree view.
I may never have any of those features because I am not willing to enter that price point.
It's all about money- how much you have or how much you are willing to part with...
The backup camera with no lines or fixed lines is just fine.
It is fun to watch the tech or infotainment increase and do more, though- just to know what's out there and the capabilities of the cars for the rich...
Some of that technology eventually trickles down into the every day people's car like a Toyota Corolla having a backup camera and Bluetooth...
I thought some of that was being driven by government mandates and it may or may not be.
The aftermarket sometimes drives the OE manufacturer's like the big wheels- almost every car has 17" wheels at the minimum.
The aftermarket may also drive the manufacturers to improve infotainment.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote