Old 12-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Byron Center , Michigan
2018 AI Undercounter Microwve/Grill/Broiler

The combo microwave/grill/broiler in our 2018 AI Grand Tour is located under the counter directly across from the bathroom door. For various reasons, we would like to remove it and gain the big drawer space. My husband has years of experience as a handyman so we attempted the task ourselves, but it seems the aisle is NOT wide enough.
If anyone has done this with success, please pass on your secrets!
Thanks

RMP49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
There was an earlier thread some months ago quoting the same experience with the current microwave. I don't remember the solution, if one was published.

I find it hard to believe that the microwave was pre-installed before the galley and bathroom were in place. Perhaps by removing the door and front trim it can be removed.

On my 2014.5 I was able to take the microwave in and out several times without any problem. I finally took it out and replaced it with a small microwave in an upper cabinet. My original microwave space is now very welcome storage space.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I hate the microwave..so I'm hoping someone figures out how to get it out. Mine is a drawer and I use it for storage. I've only used it a few times to heat water for coffee and reheat a meal and there is soot inside, quite a bit. It's in warranty, so I was going to see about a replacement, but I'd rather have a regular microwave with a door and turntable instead of the set up I have.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:19 AM   #4
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
I do not have a GT, but from my recollection of the layout, I think removing the bath door (6 or 7 screws) ought to give you the extra room ahead of microwave front and then extra room towards the rear of rv as you swing it that way. I would imagine it would have to go out through the rear much easier than trying to manuever through tight aisle towards front. FYI - it is much heavier than your may think, due to the awkward bulk. It is best done as a 2-person job (at least for me).
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
There is an analogous aisle challenge with removing refrigerators, and gosh knows that my husband and I have done that task repeatedly. Dismount the front door of the unit as suggested, and my guess is that it will then be slim enough to remove from the cabinetry.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Contributing Member

I took mine out by myself. I placed my rolling shop chair in the aisle with some boards on top to the level of the microwave bottom. Once on the rolling chair, it was easy to move to the sliding door. I had to reach through the tip-out at the sink to unplug it.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #7

Byron Center , Michigan
Good news, y’all, we got the job done! For anyone that would like to do the same:
- remove the bathroom door;
- remove drawer from the microwave by unattaching it from the slides. The side slide screws are covered by a pop out plastic access plug best popped or pryed out from the top. The screws are exposed on the bottom slide;
- remove the 4 screws holding the unit to the cabinet face;
- lift out a drawer next to the microwave to unplug the power cord;
- pull microwave by tilting and twisting;
- give a high-five to the person helping you!!
Best done with two people! The reward: in RV camper van language, WONDERFUL NEW STORAGE SPACE!
The suggestion to remove the bathroom door was the encouragement we needed to give it another try!
Thanks everyone for your input!
RMP49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Adding 4 more drawers is easy

If your drawers are similar to the 2016 GT then you can install a second shallow drawer on top of the space left by the deep drawers. It is unused space that is easy to claim back. You can also make these drawers 19 inches deep vs the 15 that airstream installed. If your garbage drawer is similar to ours then it can be rebuilt and claim even more space.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-92862-90.html

This has pictures of extra drawers installed.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
Contributing Member

My Lounge drawers are limited to 15" because of plumbing and other things in the way. I suspect that because some drawers must be 15", Airstream simply made them all 15" for standardization.

I replaced my microwave with a 1/2" plywood box so that I had surfaces to hang drawer glides and mount catches. I made the box 15" and then had to cut into the top 6" to clear the sink drain. My new drawers are 14" deep for that reason. Still about doubles the storage in my Lounge.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP49 View Post
Good news, y’all, we got the job done! For anyone that would like to do the same:
- remove the bathroom door;
- remove drawer from the microwave by unattaching it from the slides. The side slide screws are covered by a pop out plastic access plug best popped or pryed out from the top. The screws are exposed on the bottom slide;
- remove the 4 screws holding the unit to the cabinet face;
- lift out a drawer next to the microwave to unplug the power cord;
- pull microwave by tilting and twisting;
- give a high-five to the person helping you!!
Best done with two people! The reward: in RV camper van language, WONDERFUL NEW STORAGE SPACE!
The suggestion to remove the bathroom door was the encouragement we needed to give it another try!
Thanks everyone for your input!
RMP49 - Great news. Thanks for update and step-by-step instructions. That helps a lot.

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote