Old 08-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
2017 Interstate Misadventures

Picked up my Interstate 8/23 after waiting about 2 months for the 2017 Lounge to arrive, delivered with 71 miles on the clock. 8/24 went back to dealer for broken driver arm rest and cracked instrument cluster glass. 8/25 back to dealer again for bad rain sensor on Fantastic Fan. 8/26 transmission drops out of D at stop signs and red lights, occured 3 times in 60 miles. Have to shift to N and back to D to engage gear and shuddering noise when coming to a stop. Parked it all weekend then dropped off at Mercedes dealer on Monday 8/29 to have them check it out. Service tech experienced the problem on their test drive, says something's wrong with the transmission. Now awaiting them to take apart the transmission pan and inspect the oil and pan, if no metal shavings found they will just replace the valve body and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work then they will replace the whole transmission. I was trying to push for a whole new transmission since it only has less than 150 miles and it'll save everyone's time, Mercedes can crack it open and inspect on their own time. But Mercedes has their procedures to trouble shoot the problem and the procedure calls for a valve body first. 8/31 no updates from the Mercedes dealer, no loaners cars, not much AS dealer can do, I guess I'll cancel Labor day weekend plans. Not the Airstream/Mercedes experience I was expecting!

Old 08-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Yikes!!!

Misadventures indeed. Very sorry to hear you are having such a negative experience right from the start. Hopefully Mercedes can get you sorted and back on the road ASAP.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Those are really bad experiences. Pre-inspection at the dealer should have caught some of them.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
To the AS dealers credit, they swapped out the armrest for me right away, changed out the bad rain sensor(it was functioning correctly when I picked it up), but I'm getting bounced back and forth between AS and MBZ for the instrument cluster cracked glass, neither wants to cover it and I sure as heck didn't crack it. The transmission is definitely a MBZ issue that I'm still waiting for a resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Those are really bad experiences. Pre-inspection at the dealer should have caught some of them.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Sorry to hear about this. We've come to expect issues from the Airstream upgrade, but not from the Sprinter itself.
My Mercedes dealer - Schumacher in Scottsdale, AZ - always provides a loaner and its usually a C-Class Mercedes. You should insist on a loaner.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
dapolarbear - sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Also disappointed that Airstream now use the Fantastic Fan with rain sensor. I my view that is a downgrade from the MaxxAir fan on my Interstate with built in rain shield.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Update:

8/31 dealer informed me there was metal in the transmission fluid and the pan upon inspection. They are going to replace the whole transmission along with the torque converter and flush out all the lines. The instrument cluster glass is also going to be replaced, not sure who is paying, I gave a heads up to AS dealer to work it out with MBZ service. Dealer is ordering all the parts today and the Interstate should be ready this Friday 9/2 right before Labor Day weekend!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
Update:

Interstate should be ready this Friday 9/2 right before Labor Day weekend!

Great news!

Man, that's pretty quick turnaround for replacing a tranny. After reading all the horror stories about folks with Class A's that take months to get fixed, I wasn't optimistic about a quick solution. Let's hope they follow through and you're rolling by the weekend!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Sorry for your troubles, hope they follow through on the repair timescale they've indicated. Ukdude is correct - we almost never hear of substantial Sprinter issues on this Forum. It's always some aspect of the upfit that's the issue.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
dapolarbear - sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Also disappointed that Airstream now use the Fantastic Fan with rain sensor. I my view that is a downgrade from the MaxxAir fan on my Interstate with built in rain shield.
Hijacking OP's thread , what is better about the MaxxAir?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
Update:

8/31 dealer informed me there was metal in the transmission fluid and the pan upon inspection. They are going to replace the whole transmission along with the torque converter and flush out all the lines. The instrument cluster glass is also going to be replaced, not sure who is paying, I gave a heads up to AS dealer to work it out with MBZ service. Dealer is ordering all the parts today and the Interstate should be ready this Friday 9/2 right before Labor Day weekend!
Wow dapolrbear sorry to hear that you have so many issues right from the get-go.

It would be a world record if the MB dealer actually completes everything that quick but hey, there is a first time for everything.

Congrats on your new van. Good times ahead
Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Temple City , California
Thanks for all your support! Hopefully this will be the last of the problems. I'll give you guys an update tomorrow, told them not to rush it, I just want it done right.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Hijacking OP's thread , what is better about the MaxxAir?

No need for a rain sensor to close the fan when it rains. You can leave the MaxxAir open during rain and no rain will get in. I've left mine fully open in thunderstorm downpours with high winds and not a drop of water ever entered the fan opening.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
No need for a rain sensor to close the fan when it rains. You can leave the MaxxAir open during rain and no rain will get in. I've left mine fully open in thunderstorm downpours with high winds and not a drop of water ever entered the fan opening.
Ah, thanks. How well does it work in passive mode without the fan running? To conserve power, often we open our fan cover but don't run the motor. It is also quieter that way.