Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
Update:

9/2 got my Interstate back from the MB dealer just now, drove home about 15 miles.

That's awesome! Very good work by your MB dealer to get both the trans and dash replaced so quickly for you.

Now take her out over this long weekend and ENJOY!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
This is very interesting. I had a thread on this very topic of shudder after picking up my 2016 AI last summer. Happens on the downshift between 20 - 30 mph. Doesn't matter if I'm braking or not.

Last year MB said they couldn't find the problem and just sent me away. Initially they thought it was a braking problem. I took the AI to an independent mechanic who determined in was downshifting in a lower gear. He said that sometimes an excess of trans fluid will cause this. However, he couldn't do anything about it because MB won't let anyone else work on their vehicles - even though he felt pretty confident he could get to the bottom of it.

The problem continued. Just today I picked the AI back up from my local MB shop after a year of frustration with no correction of the problem. The MB mechanic told me that the fluid level was fine, that they couldn't determine what the problem was, and that there is nothing they can do. He blamed the problem on the amount of weight and distribution of weight caused by the AS "upfitting." That sounds strange to me but I'm no mechanic.

I asked him two questions:
1. Is this causing damage to the vehicle. (After a year and a half of this happening surely they would see damage of some kind.) He said no.
2. Is a failure of the vehicle because of this problem going to result in my experiencing a horrible death on the interstate when something happens. He said no - that a transmission problem would result in the vehicle either shifting to some sort of "default" mode or just not operating. But, I won't "fall apart and crash."

When I brought this issue up last year a forum member commented that this van is, after all, a commercial cargo van and those are going to make noise and be rough. Okay. I can live with that if that's truly what's happening.

Sometimes I wonder that I'm being told something because I'm female and not expected to know the difference. But, it sounds like other people are also being given answers that are just guesswork.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
This is very interesting. I had a thread on this very topic of shudder after picking up my 2016 AI last summer. Happens on the downshift between 20 - 30 mph. Doesn't matter if I'm braking or not. ........

Sometimes I wonder that I'm being told something because I'm female and not expected to know the difference. But, it sounds like other people are also being given answers that are just guesswork.
There are a lot of so called Sprinter mechanics at Mercedes dealers who are just guessing. Its a sad state. If you are ever up in Pennsylvania area schedule a stop at Sum Motors in Mechanicsville and have them look at it. They have a great bunch of knowledgeable Sprinter mechanics.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you really think it's a tranny problem ( and I blew out the trans on my original 2004 Sprinter @115K), look up Silver Star transmissions in OK and get their take on the issue.

The are rebuilders of Mercedes trannies and the DEFINITELY know the product!!!!

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Temple City , California
My shudder seems to have gone away or I don't notice it anymore. It was definitely drive line related, mine would be silent if you shift to N as you come to a stop. Dealer couldn't figure it out and blamed the rear air suspension, saying that it put the drive shaft at an angle out of spec.

To continue my misadventures, I had to have the AC compressor replaced at 4000 miles. I noticed the bottom of the compressor covered in oil, I thought it was leaking engine oil, but it turned out to be the lube inside the AC compressor. I haven't even started to address to Airstream the crappy fit and finish of the side mouldings(plastic chrome and painted piece) that covers the factory Mercedes black plastic moulding. It's like half an inch short here and there, the painted moulding is wavy and not smooth, and parts of the moulding is lifting off here and there.
dapolrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:07 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loma Mar , California
I think it is important to push with both AS and Mercedes to have your expectations met.

The more warranty reports on items the more attention they get with the company that made them. I am sure the powered shades are.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote