Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dayton , Montana
2017 GT Large drawer slams open on curves

I have realigned the galley drawers so they don't rub on each other and damage the laminate. While removing the drawers I noticed a black catch mechanism at the back of the drawer. Does anyone know how to make sure this thing is catching and keeping the large drawer from opening? Any secrets welcome. The large drawer is obviously the one that accumulates some weight.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
put a child safety latch on it
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Ours does it very frequently. By make sure there are no heavy lose items, it doesn't do it as much but it will if you motivate it enough. As noted, it needs a secure latch, not friction/spring pressure of whatever it is using.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You should be able to feel the latch engage if you close the drawer slowly.

Sometimes, the movable finger of those catches get knocked closed with the drawer not engaged. When that happens the drawer just bounces off the catch. When this happens, you have to remove the drawer and reach back with something like a flat screwdriver or pliers and carefully lever the finger back open.

If the catch repeatedly gets knocked closed without the drawer engaged, it is due to the latch not being aligned correctly. There are slots for the screws so that the parts of the latch can be adjusted slightly.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums.

In the event that you cannot achieve resolution by adjusting the OEM hardware that you describe; in other words, if the drawer still proves to be too heavy to stay in place, this sounds like it might be a job for a neodymium supplement.

A neodymium "donut" ("doughnut"?) magnet could be used to add holding force. A shallow screw goes in the center hole of the donut, which attaches to the inside face of the drawer, near its outside edge. A metal plate is then added to the cabinet to receive the magnet when the drawer is closed.

You'd have to give a little extra yank to the drawer to get it released if a magnet were added, but that would arguably be better than having the thing fly open. It would potentially be better than having an unsightly child lock that you'd be forced to fumble with all the time.

Here below is an example pic of an Interstate cabinetry face plate we attached using neodymium donuts exclusively (no latches at all). The magnet is screwed into the cabinet plate and there's a metal washer screwed into the cabinet itself. Because of the type of application, we did not need to worry about recessing either of those metal parts. Additional pics of the magnet can be seen here.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Common issue on AI. A good PDI RV dealer can fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Welcome to Air Forums.

In the event that you cannot achieve resolution by adjusting the OEM hardware that you describe; in other words, if the drawer still proves to be too heavy to stay in place, this sounds like it might be a job for a neodymium supplement.

A neodymium "donut" ("doughnut"?) magnet could be used to add holding force. A shallow screw goes in the center hole of the donut, which attaches to the inside face of the drawer, near its outside edge. A metal plate is then added to the cabinet to receive the magnet when the drawer is closed.

You'd have to give a little extra yank to the drawer to get it released if a magnet were added, but that would arguably be better than having the thing fly open. It would potentially be better than having an unsightly child lock that you'd be forced to fumble with all the time.

Here below is an example pic of an Interstate cabinetry face plate we attached using neodymium donuts exclusively (no latches at all). The magnet is screwed into the cabinet plate and there's a metal washer screwed into the cabinet itself. Because of the type of application, we did not need to worry about recessing either of those metal parts. Additional pics of the magnet can be seen here.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Franklin County , Missouri
I shouldn't say this but if this is such a common problem why doesn't Airstream fix the design? I have a cardboard box in the aisle as a temporary fix. I'll stop my comment at this point.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Panama City Beach , Florida
Airstream Has A Fix

You can get the dealership you bought it from change out the magnetic locks from 5 pound to 10 pound latches. It will make it harder to pull out the drawers. You can pick and choose which drawers you want to beef up.
tk.1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
I agree with TK.1217. Try stronger latches is a easy first step to see if it works.
Those black spring loaded latches come in different strengths. Might be worth pulling existing one out, looking at the part number and seeing if a stronger one can easily be ordered.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
They need to switch to truly locking knobs. Changing the tension makes them hard to use all the time vs the inconvenience of it popping out. If anything, I had to reduce the tension on one of the rear cabinets because it was so tight we could not open the darn thing.

BTW, I have gotten good at turning the other way to make them close after they open.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Franklin County , Missouri
Like others I have problems with cabinet doors also. Our pantry door is very difficult for my wife to open but I don't dare relax the door spring out of fear of the door opening while driving. Flying can goods would not be good. Another poor design like the kitchen faucet that turns itself on when closing the lid.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
I got tired of hearing about that and put a handle on the pantry door. The bottom drawer got magnets and I have to open that one when she wants something out of it. There is a toaster oven and other stuff that doesn't get used all the time, so not a problem.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Switched to ten pound latches

We switched all the drawers from three to ten pound pull latches. It's easy to do. Screw driver and new latches. The male part of the latch stays the same. The female part of the latch is exactly the same dimensions in three or ten pound. Remove the three and install the "ten" with same screws and holes. Once we did this mod everything stayed in place even with heavy things in drawers.

Also check bottom of fridge and top of freezer. There are swing out latches there to help fridge and freezer from doing the same while fully loaded.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
We switched all the drawers from three to ten pound pull latches.
On my former trailer, I called Airstream and they sent me the heavier latches. As noted, they are easy to install with just a Philips screwdriver. Leave the male part alone and just replace the female part. After 15 years, I still have a couple of the male parts in my spare parts box.

The removed latches can be used in other places, such as being attached to a muffin fan to move air over the refrigerator coils. The fan can be snapped into place and later removed easily if needed. The lighter duty latches are plenty secure for lightweight tasks such as this.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
here are afew threads I had saved

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1767138

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...el-153491.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post1853006

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post1914323

I have the rev-a-lok on the pot/pan drawer below the stove. It used to be secured by an adjustable shower rod but thought I'd improve on that approach. (post 27 of the first thread). I love the set up and works perfectly rev-a-lok, on that drawer setup. I have not added it elsewhere as it doesn't adapt to every situation, but also don't need another.

My only other drawer is the vertical slider for cans and spice. (see 1541 of the last thread) I used a simple gate latch and it works perfectly.

If you read thru the threads there are a log of other good solutions.

Happy trails

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #16

Phoenix , Arizona
I had the same problem on my 2018 Grand Tour . The mfg makes a 10 pound version which my dealer swapped for the 5 pound ones. Drawers open harder but stay closed while on the road. Got a kick out of a friend of ours that said they do not have the same problem. I reminded them that they are pulling a trailer so they not aware of what is happening in the trailer like I do on the coach
Stampotique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Contributing Member

I have to insert an amusing story here concerning loose drawers.

When I had my Classic 25 trailer with the crosswise bed, we owned a 20# cat named Sidney. Sidney traveled with us and preferred riding in the trailer. At one stop in Arkansas, Sidney could not be found. After a lot of searching and wondering how we could have lost Sidney, I just happened to pull out the big drawer on the end of the bed. There was Sidney, all curled up and comfy in our linen supply.

The drawer must have come open on a curve. Sidney crawled in. Then the drawer slammed shut and latched on a subsequent curve.

On another trip with just Sidney and myself along, Sidney was riding in the truck and unhappy. I was passing a semi at about 65 mph, when there was suddenly a loud wind noise. Sidney was standing on the passenger-side window switch and beginning to climb out of the truck. I could just barely grab his tail. There I was with a very unhappy, 20# cat by the tail while I tried to maneuver off the interstate with one hand.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I find the “child safety” switch to shut off the rear and passenger windows needs to be set to ‘off’ with critters on board. I swear one of my dogs has figured out how to open the window when we get close to home. He’s seemingly quite deliberate at doing it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Dayton , Montana
Mike Varno at Airstream is sending me some 10 pound drawer stays. After I install them, I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Dayton , Montana
The Fix

The 10lb. latches that Airstream sent me did the trick. No more living open and slamming shut on turns. YEA.