Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
2016 Raining Fantastic Vent

Was excited to bring my brand new AS Interstate home. First nite rain pouring in around Fantastic vent. Took to non dealer repair shop and watched tech pull Sikaflex sealant off with no effort. Apparently it adhered perfectly to the metal roof but not to the plastic flange of the Fantastic. Not a great first impression.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Airforums.

You might try getting reimbursed by submitting the invoice to your selling dealer because that should be covered under the warranty from Airstream.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I thought that Airstream touts the fact that they force water blown on the new airstream to prevent the very leak that is stated here by Harleydeal. I don't think that Harleydeal should just try to get reimbursed he will be. Airstream has a reputation to protect here. I feel sorry for Harleydeal to even deal with this situation. I hate when things like this happen. Good luck Harleydeal.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Thanks for the welcomes! I knew from research that there would be some issues to work out. Just didn't think it would be the first day! Haha.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
One thing to consider is did any water get between the outer steel shell and the inner aluminum ceiling.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We had a small drip at our vent. JC did an R&R and this time used a 1/4" foam gasket that they coated on both sides with sikaflex or something. This fixed the leak. I was told that they used only sikaflex back in 2013 when mine was built and the foam was a later improvement. Maybe they have switched back to no foam in 2016 to save a few cents.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Leaks

My question, what did the non-delay repair shop do to fix the leak, did it work, and is it well documented in the paper work?

If you can demonstrate to Airstream at Jackson Center (JC) that to take it to the dealer could have potentially created more damage due to water leaking in while on the trip, then the factory may reimburse you on a one time basis.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blacksburg , Virginia
Another example of poor quality control. I don't know why Airstream can't adopt the QC programs that have resulted in major quality improvements in the car manufacturing area.
Buzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Not really concerned with reimbursement, just wanted it remedied quickly. I watched tech that fixed it pull off the Sikaflex sealant that they use with two fingers from the plastic vent flange. There was almost no adhesion. It did adhere to the metal roof very well. Tech told me the only reliable way to fix it is by removing the vent, throwing out the foam gasket that comes with the vent, and replacing it with butyl tape and Dicor self leveling lap sealant. Sounded right to me and have had no leak since.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Meyersdale , Pennsylvania
Why?

Why is airstream having this and other problems (air conditioner story) with their new units? Recently went to an RV show...the handle of the bathroom door came off in my hand....brand new unit...mucho money!! I am beginning to consider another brand and type of rv...maybe a class C motorhome. I recently read (in a local newspaper) that the factory can not make the new units fast enough due to high volume orders.
dstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoner View Post
Why is airstream having this and other problems (air conditioner story) with their new units? Recently went to an RV show...the handle of the bathroom door came off in my hand....brand new unit...mucho money!! I am beginning to consider another brand and type of rv...maybe a class C motorhome. I recently read (in a local newspaper) that the factory can not make the new units fast enough due to high volume orders.
Nothing new about it. Our 2005 Interstate had dozens of such problems. I fixed them all and it was a great van, but it took a lot of work. Current production is simply business as usual for Thor. They own the Airstream brand. Evidently, they believe that that this is an adequate substitute for quality. Judging from their sales figures, they are apparently correct, at least for now.

Don't give up on B-vans. There are great choices out there.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Current production is simply business as usual for Thor. They own the Airstream brand. Evidently, they believe that that this is an adequate substitute for quality. Judging from their sales figures, they are apparently correct, at least for now.
Yeah. It's a choice between "We can make it quick and you can have one in four months" or "We can make it good and you can have one in a year… but it will cost even more due to the extra man-hours."

I am so glad I bought mine in December 2011, when they didn't make as many and they took more time on each one. Mine doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the newer models, but at least on mine most of the things that broke were things that I broke!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:06 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
We just bought our 25' AS a few months ago and we just love it. Having said that, we are a bit disappointed in how Thor is cutting corners. Like the rather inefficient and extremely noisy refrigerator fan, which I quickly replaced with three high efficiency, ultra-quiet fans. And I and considering replacing the converter with a higher quality unit. The refrigerator bulb just burned out and our AS is brand new. However, I am willing to work out the bugs and do my upgrading/fixing since we will one of the nicest trailers in the end. Take a look at my recent upgrade (see pictures). The rear bumper storage compartment was cheap, in my opinion. I removed the spring-loaded things, added Bondo to the holes, gave it a super paint job and added nice locks (and a handle).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper1.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	616.4 KB
ID:	243614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper2.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	626.1 KB
ID:	243615  

ltorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
While we will never see the financial issues from Thor/Airstream regarding production costs, someone has to be deciding that an xx percentage of warranty repairs is less costly to JC than doing it like Lexus did 25 years ago, a zero defect being in place.

And JC has not addressed this to my knowledge.

Having said that, about 20 years ago I purchased a well known sports car for slightly over $100,000. Water leaks in floor, requiring multiple dealer visits, five windshields due to air leaks developing, transmission rebuilt, cell phone purchased back by the factory as it would not work in the U.S. System, rear wheel alignment issues...never fixed, chewed tires to point of leaving black rubber on rear bumper, engine sensors replaced multiple times, in short a full bloom lemon.

Gosh, my Serenity has only one issue that is tough to find that being the water pump cycles apparently due to some pressure loss somewhere and the igniters on my stove have failed. Otherwise, no problems other than some very strange design decisions, especially in the audio/video department....must be designed by a person who reads books in silence😂.....oh what the heck.....we have nice similes on the forum....☕️

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote