Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
You all seem to expect too much from Airstream.
Not at all. We (most of us) don't expect Airstreams to be perfect. We do expect Airstream to be better than the competition because they're more expensive than the competition, and we want to get more for our extra money than just a nameplate. That is not too much to ask; if it was, this would be the WinnieForums for Winnebago owners instead, because we'd all be settling for Winnebago quality rather than expecting Airstream quality.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #62
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not at all. We (most of us) don't expect Airstreams to be perfect.
Agreed - but stupid stuff like not prepping a surface before putting on double sided tape, switches installed 1/32" off camber (I'm a little OCD and the switch over the sink isn't exactly parallel with the cabinet - bugs the heck out of me when I turn on the water pump...) and the lack of insulation between shower and outer wall - come on; what does that cost? $8.00?

Just a lot of nickel and dime corners cut that might add up to $250 more profit per coach for Airstream (THOR) in the short run; but comes back to bite them in satisfaction / repair costs in the long run.

I guess they do a 'good enough' job, as I still chose a 2016 AS over the others for a 2nd time. Not sure if it was name, timing or price - but they got me again and while I've already turned in a nice list of 5-6 items to my dealer that need repaired when I get back.

My shake out trip is coming up tomorrow night with a short 16 hr drive to Illinois and I'm sure to find more.

All in all though - this is one bad a** office/sleeping quarters/mess hall at the range (guns or ATVs) and I enjoy driving it now as a daily driver as well.

I weight my love of the machine at about 80% MB Sprinter and 20% AS Conversion; but I do love it.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
You all seem to expect too much from Airstream. Other than cutting, punching and bending metal, what more can they offer? I am surprised they are making a B and not a B+ so they could add an Al box to the Sprinter frame.

At more than double the cost of a base Sprinter we do expect better quality. Do you think a B+ would look like this?

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1450134134.496778.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  51.2 KB

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
That is neat. Is it real or Photoshop?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #65
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Do you think a B+ would look like this?
Attachment 253862

- - Mike
Mike I'm sure they would use the High Top Van, or maybe do a cab-over and make it a full blown Class C!

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
That is neat. Is it real or Photoshop?

I think it was real. It was advertised for sale on eBay and other places earlier this year. I found the photo, previously posted on this forum, with Google search.

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #67
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
IIRC, it was on a Sprinter 3500 cab/rail chassis. Note the aluminum extensions below the trailer bottom and the 'basement' storage. Also ……….no wheel wells. I think the asking price was over $100K.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote