Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
2016 Interstate "blind assist" feature

2016 Mercedes Sprinters feature a "blind assist" feature that alerts drivers of objects on either side of the RV. Anyway this feature has failed 3 times on our Airstream. This time Mercedes is telling me that I must have Airstream remove the rear bumper, so Mercedes can access the rear "blind assist" controller, which is located above the "aftermarket", Airstream installed rear bumper. This bumper, Mercedes informed me is "riveted" and not bolted to the frame.
So. I'm to go to Airstream and have them remove the bumper, load the bumper into the Airstream (Mercedes needs the bumper to test along with the access to the controller, that was covered by the bumper. Mercedes then can test and hopefull repair the "blind assist", then I am to return to Airstream to have the bumper reinstalled. wonderful! Hope this makes sense.

Anyone have experience with this before I see Airstream about this?
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rv guy View Post
2016 Mercedes Sprinters feature a "blind assist" feature that alerts drivers of objects on either side of the RV. Anyway this feature has failed 3 times on our Airstream. This time Mercedes is telling me that I must have Airstream remove the rear bumper, so Mercedes can access the rear "blind assist" controller, which is located above the "aftermarket", Airstream installed rear bumper. This bumper, Mercedes informed me is "riveted" and not bolted to the frame.
So. I'm to go to Airstream and have them remove the bumper, load the bumper into the Airstream (Mercedes needs the bumper to test along with the access to the controller, that was covered by the bumper. Mercedes then can test and hopefull repair the "blind assist", then I am to return to Airstream to have the bumper reinstalled. wonderful! Hope this makes sense.

Anyone have experience with this before I see Airstream about this?

Mine fails all the time. I just ignore it. I don't have the time or the patience for the type of runaround like what you outline above. Since the vehicle still works fine without it, I'll keep ignoring it, LOL.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Mine fails all the time. I just ignore it. I don't have the time or the patience for the type of runaround like what you outline above. Since the vehicle still works fine without it, I'll keep ignoring it, LOL.
Mine is seldom operational since I tow my Smart on most trips. When you plug anything into the trailer connector, the blind assist is automatically turned off. I don't bother unplugging my wireless tow lights, so mine is off pretty much all the time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #4
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
Blind assist

Mine is toast. Who needs it?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Fairhope , Alabama
I have a 2016 Interstate GT and have had the Blind assist function fail twice. Yes, my MB dealer initially told me they would not remove the AS after-market bumper and trim work.

I reminded the MB dealer that Airstream and MB of America entered into a partnership when they built the Interstate. This partnership is one of the reasons I purchased an Interstate over other Class Bs.

Initially the MD dealer baulked at this statement. I referred the MB service manager to
Airstream Customer Relations, 937-596-6111 Ext 7401. After the two talked, MB dealer pass I was correct, received instructions on how to remove the Airstream bumper from customer service and the dealer handled all work under the MB warranty claim, not Airstream Warranty.

Most MB dealerships have no idea of this special partnership – which is different from other Class 3500 Sprinter conversions.
EA-6B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA-6B View Post
I have a 2016 Interstate GT and have had the Blind assist function fail twice. Yes, my MB dealer initially told me they would not remove the AS after-market bumper and trim work.

I reminded the MB dealer that Airstream and MB of America entered into a partnership when they built the Interstate. This partnership is one of the reasons I purchased an Interstate over other Class Bs.

Initially the MD dealer baulked at this statement. I referred the MB service manager to
Airstream Customer Relations, 937-596-6111 Ext 7401. After the two talked, MB dealer pass I was correct, received instructions on how to remove the Airstream bumper from customer service and the dealer handled all work under the MB warranty claim, not Airstream Warranty.

Most MB dealerships have no idea of this special partnership – which is different from other Class 3500 Sprinter conversions.
thank you very much.
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA-6B View Post
Yes, you need to push back. This from brochure :

"“The partnership with Mercedes-Benz from the beginning has provided unbelievable synergy between the two companies. It’s almost a story that doesn’t need to be told.”

“Their history for quality, their reputation for durability matches up perfectly with the Airstream brand and reputation. They provide a best-in-class chassis both from a luxury and a safety and features standpoint.”

We’re also the exclusive partner of the Mercedes-Benz Club in North America, and that partnership has allowed us to offer discounts to members, access to events, so you’re not just buying a fantastic product. You’re buying access to a community that can help you enjoy your Interstate ownership experience.”
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
2016 Interstate "blind assist" feature

WOW! Wish I had known this a few months ago. I have had an issue with my rear doors not sealing shut, since I took delivery on my AI.
When I finally remembered to bring it up at a service visit, at my home dealer....which has been first rate in any other respect....I was told they may have to defer to Airstream...since it was an upfit Sprinter.
My service techs went ahead and performed a 30 minute realignment of the rear doors....freebie. So it was academic.
I need to remember this if anything else comes up.
Good information!
Old 05-18-2018, 01:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Oh, mine just failed last week and I thought it would be just a quick service at MB dealer .

FYI, my reverse gear light would not work and there was a fault on the dash. MB dealer refused to fix it saying Airstream had improperly wired it. So had to have Airstream dealer fix it.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post

WOW! Wish I had known this a few months ago. ...
Moral of this story: Sometimes it pays to take product declarations (advertising statements) at their literal word. I wonder how much traction someone could get with a similar "But you said..." push-back approach on other statements, such as, "So WHEREVER the road takes you, you’ll travel in total style and comfort"?

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Venice , Florida
Blind spot on 2016

I had the same problem and same answer from MB.
Then one trip I was on the I-75 and a stone fly up and cracked the windshield. Had it replaced and had to go to MB to calibrate the cluster on the windshield. They had problems with it and said the unit was bad and needed to be replaced under warranty. They ordered the part and installed it and now everything works perfectly. So much for the bumper. Have them check the window unit since that is the brains for all the sensors.
Amazing how they tell you something and it is completely different than what needs to be fixed.
The shades are a different story as well as the macerator which are problems. Not to mention the lack of battery power to boondock or even make it through the night!
Hope this helps.
glrosenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Pembroke Pines , Florida
I just retrieved my 2016 AI GTbfrom the Mercedes Dealership after leaving them with $350 to cover the cost of removing and replacing the rear bumper to replace a sensor in the 'Blind Spot Assist system". I am not too happy about this issue and wonder if the 'stealer' can be induced to refund the $ that they really did not deserve?

Larry
Camper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Moral of this story: Sometimes it pays to take product declarations (advertising statements) at their literal word. I wonder how much traction someone could get with a similar "But you said..." push-back approach on other statements, such as, "So WHEREVER the road takes you, you’ll travel in total style and comfort"?

Does suing Mercedes Benz and winning a civil case against them (you can count in 2 hands consumers who have won against MB) qualify as "enough" traction? In late 90's in Nor Cal, I sued MB for such issues relating to a problem car AND WON. Yes, you can get much traction . . . but you better have the stomach and money to stick it out. Otherwise, they will tire you out emotionally & physically & financially. It took 2 yrs, a 3wk jury trial, & $80,000 to cover attorney's fees while in process. The judgement only covered all my fees, so the time & emotional trauma was mine to bear. BUT not many people can say they won against MB.

Question is - why did I buy more MB's after that? Call me stupid or any other name. Still like the product.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I would have to be really cheesed off to launch a major lawsuit like that. I may have to launch a claim against Sears because of our Kenmore Elite refrigerator, which has been inoperable since some time in March (we are still living out of the Interstate's de-installed and burped Dometic 2351 which sits unceremoniously on our garage floor).

I won't be spending money on the litigation, though - I'll do it pro se, as it should be a straightforward lemon law case (in Texas, lemon law extends to warranty'd major appliances).
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I may have to launch a claim against Sears because of our Kenmore Elite refrigerator, which has been inoperable since some time in March (we are still living out of the Interstate's de-installed and burped Dometic 2351 which sits unceremoniously on our garage floor).
You have lots of patience to go that long. If understand this right, so the burped Dometic is providing you some service? even though you deemed it not worthy anymore & kicked it out of the AI How funny the irony.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
You have lots of patience to go that long. If understand this right, so the burped Dometic is providing you some service? even though you deemed it not worthy anymore & kicked it out of the AI How funny the irony.
The burped and de-installed Dometic is holding its own. It makes a fine garage fridge.

Technically we could bring the lawsuit now, because Sears has made 4 unsuccessful attempts to fix the Kenmore under warranty. But other priorities have prevented that, so we are going to allow them to complete warranty call #5 before proceeding.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper56 View Post
I just retrieved my 2016 AI GTbfrom the Mercedes Dealership after leaving them with $350 to cover the cost of removing and replacing the rear bumper to replace a sensor in the 'Blind Spot Assist system". I am not too happy about this issue and wonder if the 'stealer' can be induced to refund the $ that they really did not deserve?

Larry

I had the same problem with our 2016 airstream interstate grand tour. While at the Mercedes shop, I wrote an email to Airstream. This is the reply I received from Airstream:

Mike,
We are an authorized upfitter so they will cover the labor of the bumper removal and re-install to replace Mercedes parts. When they submit the claim that is part of the authorized labor. If you have any more questions or they do not agree with this information please have them call me. My contact information is below. Have a great day.

Jon Puckett
Owner Relations Representative
Airstream, Inc.
(937) 596-6111 ext.7245

After showing the email to the Mercedes service manager, I drove away without paying the additional $350 charge for bumper removal.
M and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by M and R View Post
After showing the email to the Mercedes service manager, I drove away without paying the additional $350 charge for bumper removal.
PRINTING now and sticking printout to MB Warranty & Service booklet Thank you for this info.