Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
2016 Interstate battery questions

So I'm finally on the road with my slightly used Interstate twin(10,000 miles) I drove from Jacksonville Fl to to Knoxville Tn after having had it plugged into shore power for the three days. As soon as I turned the engine off my batteries said 65% left on the monitor. I ran the generator for a little over a hour before my Photoshoot and as soon as I cut the generator off it said 75%. I turned everything off but the refrigerator and solar said it was pulling in 4amps when I left. I came back four hours later and I had a low battery warning. I then ran the generator for two hours and when I shut it off it said I had 65% battery left I disconnected all power went to bed and woke up and it was down to 60%. I turned on the main power switch to run the fridge and it dropped immediately to 50%..............is this probably just bad batteries? I know there are a ton of threads on this and I ran glass mat batteries in my big coach so figured I would eventually do so in this one as well. Also how big of a PIA is it to replace batteries in the 2016? Thanks in advance for any advise since it's a year old and used I'm sure the battery warranty is up

John Jackson
www.NotStockPhotography.com
Old 09-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
Also how big of a PIA is it to replace batteries in the 2016? Thanks in advance for any advise since it's a year old and used I'm sure the battery warranty is up. /url]
I just watched the dealer where I purchased my AI replace the batteries. From start to finish about 20 minutes. He drove the rear wheels onto wood blocks about 4 inches thick and laid down on his back to change them.
M and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
I know there are a ton of threads on this and I ran glass mat batteries in my big coach so figured I would eventually do so in this one as well. /url]
My 2016 AI has two Lifeline Group 24 batteries in it. You likely have AGMs in yours.

This is my first RV with AGM batteries. How long did AGMs last in you big rig? What are best operating practices for AGMs?

Mike
Old 09-26-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by M and R View Post
I just watched the dealer where I purchased my AI replace the batteries. From start to finish about 20 minutes. He drove the rear wheels onto wood blocks about 4 inches thick and laid down on his back to change them.

Nice..........i have a feeling I just need a battery swap I just need to Google Knoxville Nashville airstream dealers I guess.......... Well I do leave for Detroit soon so I could take it to airstream hahahaha

John Jackson
Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
I copied the following from another thread. When I need to replace, I am going to try this.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beer View Post
I recently bought a 2010 Interstate (Class B) and need to replace the battery with two lifeline AGM's. Does anyone have the correct Lifeline Model number for ordering the batteries (12V)?

Thanks
The supplied batteries on my 2014 are Lifeline GPL-24T's. These are 12v batteries. You might consider upgrading to 6V batteries witch will increase your capacity. Two Lifeline GPL 4CT's, connected in series will increase your rated capacity from 160A with the 12v 24T's to 220A. The 4 CT's will fit the OEM battery box and you shouldn't have to buy any additional cable. I was able to configure mine in series with the existing cable and had a piece left over. Cost should be about the same.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Chilhowee RV is the Knoxville Airstream Dealer. On Alcoa Hwy, US Rte 129. 875-970-4085
Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Chilhowee RV is the Knoxville Airstream Dealer. On Alcoa Hwy, US Rte 129. 875-970-4085

Thanks man I just saw that when I googled airstream Knoxville and I'm staying two miles away hahaha

John Jackson
Old 09-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #8
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
So I'm finally on the road with my slightly used Interstate twin(10,000 miles) I drove from Jacksonville Fl to to Knoxville Tn after having had it plugged into shore power for the three days. As soon as I turned the engine off my batteries said 65% left on the monitor. I ran the generator for a little over a hour before my Photoshoot and as soon as I cut the generator off it said 75%. I turned everything off but the refrigerator and solar said it was pulling in 4amps when I left. I came back four hours later and I had a low battery warning. I then ran the generator for two hours and when I shut it off it said I had 65% battery left I disconnected all power went to bed and woke up and it was down to 60%. I turned on the main power switch to run the fridge and it dropped immediately to 50%..............is this probably just bad batteries? I know there are a ton of threads on this and I ran glass mat batteries in my big coach so figured I would eventually do so in this one as well. Also how big of a PIA is it to replace batteries in the 2016? Thanks in advance for any advise since it's a year old and used I'm sure the battery warranty is up

John Jackson
Assuming you have Lifeline AGM batteries, contact Lifeline and tell them about your issue. It sounds like your batteries are damaged due to someone allowing them to run down too far. I had that issue and they replaced mine at half price. I upgraded to 6V AGM's at that time which gave me ~37% more capacity. The OEM 12v Lifeline model is: GPL24T, the 6v models is GPL4CT.
Good Luck
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
So I'm finally on the road with my slightly used Interstate twin(10,000 miles)

John Jackson

Unfortunately it sounds like your batteries are toast. As someone else suggested, the PO likely let them run down below 50% a few times and that kills them quick. On your panel what is the voltage? If it's below 12v at any point they likely need to be replaced.

If you want to give them one last chance, years ago I bought a charger that has a "recovery" mode that I've successfully used a few times to extend the life of AGMs, but you have to remove the batteries to use it. Chargers that can do this run $50-100, and it may not work, so up to you if you want to give it a try.

One last note, and maybe some others can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the only time the charging system goes into "top up" mode (where it puts that last bit of charge into the AGMs to get them to 100%) is when it's plugged into shore power. Running the genny, engine, or solar only gets them to about 95% (approx. 12.8v).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
I just pulled out my AGM batteries (replaced them with Lithium). I did that by using the blocks to elevate the back wheels. They are straightforward to remove but the issue is that Airstream uses them as a junction (bad practice) so you have a number of cables to disconnect/reconnect. And you better not short them out to anything with your face 2 inches from them while laying on your back. No place to run!

They are also pretty heavy. I used "controlled landing" to get mine out. Was happy did not have to lift another to put in there.

The terminals were pretty filthy from being down below. You better use gloves and be ready to clean your tools afterward.

All in all, if you can pay someone up to $100 to do them, it would be worth it.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Unfortunately it sounds like your batteries are toast. ....
One last note, and maybe some others can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the only time the charging system goes into "top up" mode (where it puts that last bit of charge into the AGMs to get them to 100%) is when it's plugged into shore power. Running the genny, engine, or solar only gets them to about 95% (approx. 12.8v).
Yes the only way to get a full charge on a stock Interstate is to plug it in for at least 24 hours which uses the proper three stage charge profile of the Magnum charger. That is assuming Airstream now installs the temperature sensor as has been reported before on this forum. The proper charge voltage for AGM batteries is temperature dependent.

Running the generator also activates the Magnum charger, but running for an hour or two will not get the batteries fully charged.

The Sprinter alternator only provides a fixed voltage charge of 13.9-14.2 and the BIM (Battery Isolation Manager) logic will only let it charge the coach batteries for an hour at a time. Once the BIM senses the coach batteries are above a set voltage they will not get charged by the alternator. Initially I found that this voltage was only 12.6V according to the technical documents from Precision Circuits Inc. (PCI) that I downloaded a few years ago, copy attached. The more recent tech documents from PCI no longer give a voltage value, they just say when "Coach Battery voltage low and needs charging".

The 100watt solar panel and controller installed by Airstream on a 2016 Interstate does not use a proper charge profile or a temperature sensor and thus is not capable of properly charging the coach batteries. That solar combination is only capable of keeping nearly full coach batteries from becoming discharged by minimal loads. With the sunlight available each day a 100watt panel has limited ability to keep up with normal loads.

Bottom line - the off grid charging abilities of the Interstate as delivered by Airstream are limited. This limitation has been discussed many times on this forum. In my experience the only way to keep the batteries healthy is to be plugged into external power at least every few days.

That's why I upgraded to 400 watts of solar and a controller with temp sensor. The solar controller I added also included shunt to measure the current flowing into and out of the batteries. This is the only way to accurately track battery health as the voltage readings are just not that accurate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCI Battery Isolation Manager Manual.pdf (61.8 KB, 77 views)
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Is there anyone who buys lightly used and DOESN'T end up with battery(ies) DOA? Sigh...

Same thing with us, back when we were newbies. However, we negotiated with our flipper and he paid for the replacement as he was basically guaranteeing the rig to have had all necessary repairs and replacements done prior to sale. He paid for our Lifeline and he also paid for MB to service our cab a/c which was good in terms of structural integrity but needed a charge of freon. MB told us that T1Ns are guaranteed to lose freon over time even if there is nothing "wrong" with them.

So depending on the representations made by your seller, you might be able to work something out with him/her/them. In our case, there was an eBay rating hanging in the balance and there were representations that had been made, and so the negotiations proved fruitful.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Is there anyone who buys lightly used and DOESN'T end up with battery(ies) DOA? Sigh...
My guess is the situation follows a similar pattern - PO trades in vehicle on whatever, dealer let's trade-in sit and batts run down (wayyyyy down), basically killing them. When showing to a prospective buyer (newbie), the dealer plugs it in. If the buyer asks, the dealer gives them the "don't worry, they just need to be charged and all will be fine", knowing full well they just spewed about a pound of bullsh*t. The end.

One reason I bought new was because buying this type of vehicle used is caveat emptor x2. You are buying a used car AND a used "house", neither of which have been inspected by anyone. What could possible go wrong.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
I had a similar problem in my 2016 AS. Overnight I could easily lose 2 volts, 12V down to 10V with no load. Turns out my 2016 AS purchased December 2015 had batteries that were dated July 2015 that were both dead, and AS said they would not warranty them, unlike autos that warranty batteries from date of purchase.
Get those batteries tested ASAP, perhaps there is still some time left on the 1 year warranty.
tbadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Bad cells?

We don't have an Interstate, but a 25' FC, 2014. We had gone 6 months after purchasing new, and had limited issues, we found out later that the batteries were bad from Interstate. Not sure your situation, but I know Interstate has a good warranty program and they stood behind either a swap out for new or 100% credit for different type. We went with AGM's and paid the difference. If yours are not Interstate, I would still check with the manufacturer and have them checked out by same. You don't need the dealer to be involved, nor do you need to do it at location you purchased, if they are under warranty. We purchased in Sacramento area, and took to Interstate in San Diego.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #16
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
My battery update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We don't have an Interstate, but a 25' FC, 2014. We had gone 6 months after purchasing new, and had limited issues, we found out later that the batteries were bad from Interstate. Not sure your situation, but I know Interstate has a good warranty program and they stood behind either a swap out for new or 100% credit for different type. We went with AGM's and paid the difference. If yours are not Interstate, I would still check with the manufacturer and have them checked out by same. You don't need the dealer to be involved, nor do you need to do it at location you purchased, if they are under warranty. We purchased in Sacramento area, and took to Interstate in San Diego.
Similar story. Our '16 FC25's (picked up in May) batteries have not been able to hold a charge on our current Rockies trip for the last six weeks. Yesterday morning they had dropped to 12.1 after charging with an auxiliary multi stage charger by generator the evening before for several hours. Enroute to Ouray we stopped at Interstate distributor in Montrose and Brian tested our batteries. No dead cells but said the batteries should be holding a charge better than I had described so said, "you should not be worrying about your batteries on your trip", and he swapped them them out for fresh ones. AWESOME service!!!! He even gave me a free tester for the new batteries. I am beginning to believe the prevailing sentiments concerning the stock converter and hope to upgrade converter and batteries this winter. 🤑
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Took it to the dealer this morning and they checked everything out and said I should try equalizing the batteries through the inverter control before I replace the batteries that they have had good luck doing this with interstates that have been sitting

John Jackson
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
.........and equalizing the batteries didn't work hahaha
Old 10-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
2016 Interstate battery questions

They're dead, John.....

And the dealer is clueless at best.

Fried once, dead forever....

Probably sat too long.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote