Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Carlsbad , California
2016 AS Int EXT Battery Upgrade

I have AS and I'd like to do the battery upgrades I'm reading about where they swap out the factory 2 batteries for I think four 6 volt batteries .

Is there a link to a where this information is in a single posting? I see lots of bits nothing that has been summarized yet. I"m sure there has to be something.

The unit is new to me. I daily drive this RV and I want to be sure that I have the electrical set in a way that is good for the house batteries.

I apologize in advance if any of the questions are silly.

Do I leave the inverter off when Im daily driving and dont use anything in the back of the RV?
71Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
4 6v batteries

Ryoungca did a nice job of converting the storage compartment floor box to hold his 4-6v batteries. That is if the 2016 has the same battery storage set up under the couch and has the floor box.

You can follow his progress on this page starting at page 4.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-172072-4.html

I approached it differently for 4-Group 24 batteries.

I would really analyze why you need the extra house battery capacity before proceeding.

The mod is extensive although not really costly.

The Magnum charger/inverter has a power save mode that you can set it to, or leave it off.
If you only use the 12v systems, you don't utilize the Magnum.

The 110 inverter pretty much only runs the TV and 110 outlets and microwave.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #3

Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
Ryoungca did a nice job of converting the storage compartment floor box to hold his 4-6v batteries. That is if the 2016 has the same battery storage set up under the couch and has the floor box.

You can follow his progress on this page starting at page 4.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-172072-4.html

I approached it differently for 4-Group 24 batteries.

I would really analyze why you need the extra house battery capacity before proceeding.

The mod is extensive although not really costly.

The Magnum charger/inverter has a power save mode that you can set it to, or leave it off.
If you only use the 12v systems, you don't utilize the Magnum.

The 110 inverter pretty much only runs the TV and 110 outlets and microwave.

The current house batteries are dead.

Use Case: I daily drive the car and I like to leave items in the fridge. The items are not that if they go warm its an issue (drinks). I don't take it camping and if I did I will be in a location with power provided. My daily commute is really short and I probably do run the car four times a day at 20-30 minutes each time.

I'm not sure if I can run the fridge only and have these few short charging cycles.

I'd like a system that also cuts off the batteries before they get damaged. If my factory system is capable of doing that I believe its not set correctly.

I'd like to upgrade the batteries since I need to replace them anyways. Upgrade the solar panel if it will actually help and upgrade any of the battery charging controls to something that cares for the batteries as well.

I'll look at that post you recommended now and thank you.
71Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
reefer madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Cuda View Post
The current house batteries are dead.

I'm not sure if I can run the fridge only and have these few short charging cycles.

I'd like a system that also cuts off the batteries before they get damaged. If my factory system is capable of doing that I believe its not set correctly.

I'd like to upgrade the batteries since I need to replace them anyways. Upgrade the solar panel if it will actually help and upgrade any of the battery charging controls to something that cares for the batteries as well.
Two good batteries will run your refrigerator during the business day, but if you don't plug your unit in at night, the batteries are probably going to run down on you. The amount of driving you do won't charge them fully, unless you park in the sun during all daylight hours.

Your solar and your Magnum should be sufficient for what you do. The Magnum is a good unit but it will let your battery drain to destruction if left unattended and unplugged for as little as two weeks. It does have a low voltage cut off setting so I can't really explain why it drains. I have also had the BIM allow the chassis battery to drain, too, after the house battery is exhausted.

One of the best investments is a real disconnect switch as the AI switch still allows drain. (it runs the lp detector, the Magnum)

You might also invite some more brain damage by reading the threads on refrigerator ventilation and why the stock installation runs so poorly and so warm and so long.

Until mine was fixed, I was going to give up on my fridge and just buy a portable 12v (which should work for your needs).

Similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-P15-...e+refrigerator
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Cuda View Post
Use Case: I daily drive the car and I like to leave items in the fridge. The items are not that if they go warm its an issue (drinks). I don't take it camping and if I did I will be in a location with power provided. My daily commute is really short and I probably do run the car four times a day at 20-30 minutes each time.

71CUDA - with regard to running fridge only and few short charging cycles - I typically check & test my batteries by leaving the AI on my driveway overnight with just fridge running (8-10hrs, though not at height of summer when temps are 100°-115°). They are still good in the morning. And as soon as sun hits solar panels (mine came with 300W), they are topped off very quickly. Considering you are in Carlsbad and driving only 30min away (your area has lots of available sun just like I do in Las Vegas), and assuming you will be parked outside under full sun , I think your batts will still be charged up. YMMV.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote