Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I am just looking for something that will reduce the rear Lounge from launching people when hitting a bump.
I only installed the Spring Assist Kit (install was over a year ago); I will say it was WELL worth the money for the upgrade. The drive is much more enjoyable. But it didn't do much for the rear bounce. May even have made it stiffer.

Short of the Airbags I don't know of any satisfactory fix for the rear ride. There is only the wife and I on trips so we ride up front.

I upgraded to reduce the heavy rock & roll out of my (and many fuel station) driveways. When the coffee maker is banging around in the cabinet the rocking was a little crazy.

With the stock kit the van rocked 3-4 times left to right & left when pulling out of a drive over a curb; and when I pulled up a little to close to the back of a semi tractor trailer (or they pulled in my lane a little too soon) the van would wobble from the wind turbulence caused just behind the truck.

With shocks / sway bars & spring assist - all of that is gone; rear end just rides like an empty F350 pickup.

That said; I recently hauled a load of motorcycles (close to the 5,000 lb max trailer) and the back rode better than ever.

So maybe the real secret here is to haul a trailer all the time. (was thinking of getting a toad so the wife will have something to drive while we are parked for longer periods; but since all 4 on the ground (no tongue weight) that probably wouldn't improve the ride.

- Although the motorcycle on the hitch rack should a little (see my Avatar).

Either way - I love the van; some because of the $$ I spent on it; but always because it beats the heck out of the Suburban and Escalades I used to drive cross country on family & work trips.

My wife summed it up on our first trip from IL to NC in the van last year when she realized that she could finally drink as many sodas as she wanted on the trip because she didn't have to wait for me to pull in 4 hrs later for the pit stop!

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
So maybe the real secret here is to haul a trailer all the time. (was thinking of getting a toad so the wife will have something to drive while we are parked for longer periods; but since all 4 on the ground (no tongue weight) that probably wouldn't improve the ride.
You could tow on a dolly to provide some tongue weight. Then you wouldn't even need supplemental brakes or new lighting on your toad because the dolly would cover that. But that presumes you have someplace to store the dolly when you're not using it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You could tow on a dolly to provide some tongue weight. Then you wouldn't even need supplemental brakes or new lighting on your toad because the dolly would cover that. But that presumes you have someplace to store the dolly when you're not using it.
Have plenty of storage, may go that route - I didn't realize the dolly had trailer brakes built in; but that makes since.

Now I just need to wait on Polaris to release the Automatic transmission model of the Slingshot so my wife can drive it (we are a dealer). Since it has 2 front wheels & one rear it should make a nice toad!

Wait - it is licensed & titled as a motorcycle - that means my wife will need to get here motorcycle license. . . . . I'll wish her luck doing the cone course in a 77" wide "motorcycle" hahaha.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #18

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
That said; I recently hauled a load of motorcycles (close to the 5,000 lb max trailer) and the back rode better than ever.
The ride in the back of my AI is completely acceptable when pulling our VW GTI on a tow dolly. The drag of the load does a great job of damping the rear end bounce. Unfortunately we use the AI in a lot of situations where it simply is not practical to haul the car along just to improve the ride.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #19

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Jennings , Louisiana
I would be interested in Protagonist view on the VB Air Suspension System for a MB 3500 Sprinter Van. Thanks,
Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums.

I looked at the Advanced RV site the other day and they talk about it and it sounds nice but pricey. Last time I checked, it was around $10K plus install.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom7 View Post
I would be interested in Protagonist view on the VB Air Suspension System for a MB 3500 Sprinter Van. Thanks,
Can't help you there. I haven't even seen one installed, so I don't have enough know-how to form an opinion.

Mark your calendars… I actually said "I don't know" for once!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Quote:
I ordered & installed the springs, shocks & sway bars from The Sprinter StoreJust adjusted the koni shocks to softest setting (as suggested on another forum) and have a trip from IL to CALIF in two weeks

Could you provide a link to that forum thread. Secondly, how was the ride with the shocks at their softest?

TIA
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #23
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
Check out VB-FullAir Suspension System
Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
What's the price range of this setup w/ the air compressor and for a van w/o option C43?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
I am wondering if any enterprising company will explore Magnetic Active Suspension for the Airstream Interstate. I'm guessing that this technology will fall drastically in price as more companies choose to incorporate it.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I wrote Advanced RV yesterday to ask them about the airbag suspension and they said they no longer do them on other lines besides their own. They are apparently too busy and would have to move the generator on the Interstate. Bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
You might try the Sprinter Store near Portland, OR. The sell and install the competing Glide-Rite air suspension.
http://sprinterstore.com/air_bag_kit.htm
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You might try the Sprinter Store near Portland, OR. The sell and install the competing Glide-Rite air suspension.
Air Bag Kit
That's a lot cheaper than the VB.

Didn't understand why the installed bags looked like cylinders (sort of like the one that goes inside a coil spring as an assist) and the one in the picture looked more like an air spring.

Since the leaf springs provide the lateral support for the axle, what provides that w/ the bag setup and no springs? I could see the bars that locate the axle fore and aft but not laterally.

Also wondered if it was a DIY project.